Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:55 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:04:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Penalty Fares  (Read 24667 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2022, 15:06:55 »

Announced last night. With the strict proviso that the 21 days is extended to start after any appeal is complete, I have no problem with this. Its the same as a speeding fine, buy a ticket when you are meant to & it will never apply.

Will need to await the finer detail.

Shouldn't this thread be in the 'Fares Fair' board? Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 15:56:13 by ChrisB » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2022, 16:07:24 »

Shouldn't this thread be in the 'Fares Fair' board? Roll Eyes

Good point - it is now. All 45 posts in the thread!

I've no concern in principle - provided we're certain that the system is reasonably and fairly aoplied, and doesn't make people feel all the more threatened when they know they don't know the system and have to make an educated guess at an unmanned station, or cannot pay because there was no working way to do so!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2022, 16:11:27 »

Re your first point, I agree that the warning posters need far more detailed info on them - but they are at entrances to stations correctly & difficult to miss.

Re your second, agree wholeheartedly. But TOCs (Train Operating Company) do know what is out of order & list them under their journeycheck pages.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2022, 16:26:12 »

Re your first point, I agree that the warning posters need far more detailed info on them - but they are at entrances to stations correctly & difficult to miss.

Re your second, agree wholeheartedly. But TOCs (Train Operating Company) do know what is out of order & list them under their journeycheck pages.

Past experience does not re-assure me ... but then the incidents I'm thinking of are now historic and perhaps the railways don't make mistakes like the ticket clerk selling you the wrong ticket these days, and perhaps the train manager can always be  found if you board at an unmanned / no ticket available station, and leave at one that has a blockade.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2022, 19:51:24 »

No objection to the increased penalty provided that this is applied fairly.
I have witnessed more than one case of penalty fares being applied unreasonably.

Passengers with tickets valid on booked train only.
They boarded a train at the correct time, as stated on the tickets.
In fact it was an earlier train running late and penalty fares were charged.
Some passengers paid up. Others said that they would "deal with" those demanding extra payment.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2022, 16:17:50 »

Interesting (??) experience at Reading Station today when I was meeting a friend (who'd left home in Slovakia at 0130  Roll Eyes carrying a heavy case). I asked at the ticket office if I could buy a platform ticket (the last time I did so was at Torquay Station c1960 for 1d). No need, I was told, just explain at the gate and they'll let you through. Only my friend, who hasn't been to England in four years, took a Crossrail train, rather than a non-stopper. From the deck, I didn't see her get off what I thought might be her train and had previously texted her to wait for me INSIDE the ticket gates. Only she found her way to the Heathrow coach office to book a ticket for a journey later on. (Only it was closed ...) I approached the gates with no luggage-heavy friend and with trepidation, but the official (who I think might have been a supervisor) let me though immediately after I'd stuttered a few works of explanation.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 16:44:31 by Marlburian » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2022, 19:00:41 »

No objection to the increased penalty provided that this is applied fairly.
I have witnessed more than one case of penalty fares being applied unreasonably.

Passengers with tickets valid on booked train only.
They boarded a train at the correct time, as stated on the tickets.
In fact it was an earlier train running late and penalty fares were charged.
Some passengers paid up. Others said that they would "deal with" those demanding extra payment.

Are you sure they weren't being charged an excess rather than a penalty fare - the latter I understand can't be charged where a ticket is held for the journey in question but at the wrong rate. Only excesses in that case.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2022, 06:59:51 »

Is there a convenient definition and general guidance on excess fares.

Finally managed to get one from a Southern train the other weekend (£0.00), rather than just being charged for the leg of the journey.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2022, 11:27:47 »

I would suggest staeting a new topic on that.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2023, 14:30:45 »

Be warned - there *are* differences in the new Penalty Fare over the old one!

see attached photo of the warning poster that has gone up over the last week or so - this was at Oxford....

Under the conditions (over on the right, towards the bottom) where you can be charged, the last one has been amended to add "....or on a train service where your ticket is not valid" - so no good buying off-peak ticket & asking for an excess if you get challenged, for example. You have to excess before boarding now or be liable.

Also, note right at the bottom - XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) and TfW services are excluded from the scheme.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2023, 15:22:05 »

Does that conflict with the National Conditions of Travel [sic] ?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2023, 15:22:46 »

Presumably they'll also be amended to ensure they don't
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2023, 18:48:39 »

How do you buy an excess at an unmanned station, without a smartphone (assuming you can buy one with a smartphone). Or do I risk putting one foot on the train and ask the Guard/TM(resolve) for an excess?

Sorry but my cycle trips don't always run to the smooth pre-planning expected by the railway owners/operators.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2023, 19:06:05 »

The buy at first opportunity rule still aoplies i think
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2023, 20:04:37 »

How do you buy an excess at an unmanned station, without a smartphone (assuming you can buy one with a smartphone). Or do I risk putting one foot on the train and ask the Guard/TM(resolve) for an excess?

Sorry but my cycle trips don't always run to the smooth pre-planning expected by the railway owners/operators.

The buy at first opportunity rule still aoplies i think

I would think so.  My standard practice and advice for passengers cannot buy the ticket they want at the station is to tell the train manager on the platform and ask if he will sell them a ticket. (And that could be modified to "I cannot excess it at the machine).  I doubt you would have a problem.   Do not board the train without comment and go straight into the loo if you do not have a ticket!

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: