21:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 20:40:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[313] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[65] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[58] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[49] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[28] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[26] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Fill in 3rd rail?  (Read 84838 times)
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2016, 18:15:03 »

It sounds like a good idea, and really probably needs it, but FGW (First Great Western) are a diesel railway (and shortly overhead electric) so I cannot see them leasing yet another type of traction to cater for the North Downs.

They wouldn't need to - 387s can work from either overhead or third rail, and according to a posting at Another Place, the GWR (Great Western Railway) 387s are no exception:

Quote from: A
Quote from: B
It also appears to have collector shoe beams (but no collector shoes) on the front bogie. Is this a standard fitting for the 387s as they won't be needed on the GWML (Great Western Main Line)?
If the shoes are in the raised position they won't be easily visible at a quick glance, especially from a mainly front view.   Keeps them identical to the other 29 units.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2016, 16:56:32 »

"North Downs railway line to be fully electrified" says Eagle Radio

Rail travel for more than 5.5 million people is about to get better - as the North Downs Line gets fully electrified.
The train line which runs between Reading and Gatwick through Surrey is being upgraded - and there's good news for Guildford because of it.

Surrey County Council hopes there will be more frequent trains, longer platforms and greater capacity at Guildford station.

More than 5.5 million passengers used the route last year and almost 300,000 jobs lie within around a mile of the line.
Now the final 29 miles of the route are being electrified.

The council says it will generate an additional £89m a year in corporation tax and an extra £97m annually in income tax.
The figures were calculated for four local enterprise partnerships including Enterprise M3 looking at the benefits of improving transport in the South East.

It follows Surrey County Council’s Cabinet Member for Environment and Planning Mike Goodman telling a conference organised by Great Western Railway that upgrading the final two sections would create around 8,000 jobs and stimulate £1.9 billion of economic growth.

That led to the council and the rail franchise joining forces to drive forward the case for investment.
Mr Goodman said: “It was great to hear the Chancellor signalling the government’s intent to invest in rail, especially as economic growth and development along the North Downs Line are being limited by creaking infrastructure and slow journeys.

“Fully electrifying this line would change all that, giving Surrey and the South East’s powerhouse economies a significant shot in the arm while also providing the government with an enormous financial boost so I hope it features in their plans.”

Timescale and method not mentioned in article.

How many diesel multiple units will be released for cascade as a result?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2016, 17:28:48 »

"about to get better"?

Usung the wortd "about" implies now or in the short term. Icannot see any hope of this happening just yet and many people will be disappointed by the use of this word.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2016, 17:29:41 »

I think this is the source; I therefore think the above story is a misinterpretation.
https://news.surreycc.gov.uk/2016/11/25/upgrading-north-downs-line-will-boost-government-coffers-by-almost-190m/
It isn't a report of a decision as far as I can see, it's still only Surrey CC pushing an agenda, as they did a few months ago.

Paul
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 17:49:15 by paul7755 » Logged
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2016, 18:23:27 »

If it went ahead then 9-10 units

(think a pig just flew past)
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2016, 18:29:09 »

If it went ahead then 9-10 units

(think a pig just flew past)

Does that allow for the forthcoming upgrade to 3 tph Reading to Redhill, (supposedly still due with SLC2 in May 2017), or is that the current requirement?

Paul
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2016, 18:31:29 »

That's with the enhanced service, currently 7 units are diagrammed at the mo.

Although I'm guessing more 387s or equivalent would be required.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2016, 18:50:00 »

Cheers.   Will be interesting to see if the May change is going to be possible, has anyone heard anything?

Paul
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2016, 19:54:54 »

Cheers.   Will be interesting to see if the May change is going to be possible, has anyone heard anything?

Paul

If anyone's at Paddington tomorrow, and happens to see a manager they could ask ...
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2016, 21:36:25 »

Will be interesting to see if the May change is going to be possible, has anyone heard anything?

I thought we had the May change, back in mid-July?

Oh, sorry: I see what you meant.  Tongue

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2016, 23:26:11 »

I thought we had the May change, back in mid-July?

Oh, sorry: I see what you meant.  Tongue

Sidesplitting noises heard...
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2016, 23:32:41 »

Yes, sorry, Paul.  Tongue

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2016, 11:27:12 »

could this be done quickly and result in release of much needed DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) sooner than if we have to wait for NR» (Network Rail - home page) to sort out the OHL (Over-Head Line) on the mainline?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2016, 11:38:28 »

could this be done quickly and result in release of much needed DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) sooner than if we have to wait for NR» (Network Rail - home page) to sort out the OHL (Over-Head Line) on the mainline?

The title of this thread notwithstanding, I think the general view is that no more third rail will be installed (other than very short lengths in existing areas).   This route, albeit in two separate parts, is not considered a short length.   

Paul
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2016, 12:11:00 »

Radio station has undoubtedly misunderstood. Surrey CC want the North Downs electrified, the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) say that H&S (Health and Safety) legislation basically makes new installations compliance with H&S legislation near impossible/unaffordable apart from in some very specific urban applications e.g. London Underground extensions.

Remember that we are in the run up to Network Rail's next 5 year plan being decided, so there is doubtless all sorts of political horse-trading, strong-arming and other shennanigans going on, particularly as most local authorities seem to now have woken up to the fact that commuter railways are a vote-winner and economy booster, rather than an irritation that mess up their grand visions for highways and buses.

I just posted in another thread, but it would appear from gossip on WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) that there is currently a 319 in works having a diesel engine fitted underneath as an experiment (apparently the underframe has enough space and strength to fit one on a raft). No-one will admit to who it is for, though Northern was ruled out. TPE (Trans Pennine Express) might want one for Windemere, but the fact that they'll only have one or two engines in a 4 car unit probably rules out anywhere too hilly.

So it occurred to me that they might be destined for the North Downs and perhaps Didcot to Oxford. 3rd rail and 25kV capable, right sort of doors, Reading depot can handle both DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) and EMU (Electric Multiple Unit) stock, could presumably be turned around with minimal type-approval required, and if they can do them quickly, would enable Turbos to be cascaded west.

Anyway, just a thought...   
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: