19/04/24 05:33 Bedwyn to London Paddington
19/04/24 06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
19/04/24 06:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 23:44:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: All Line Rover: must-see destinations?  (Read 33286 times)
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2016, 20:34:29 »

Ahhh...the forth rail bridge gets my vote...I can still remember the sound of trains going over it. Although in this modern age it may be more dramatic standing underneath it rather than in the double glazed comfort of the train itself
Indeed, standing underneath it is a great experience.  I have never been over the bridge on a train, but think that'll be a priority when I rejig the plan.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2016, 20:36:50 »

Ahhh...the forth rail bridge gets my vote...I can still remember the sound of trains going over it. Although in this modern age it may be more dramatic standing underneath it rather than in the double glazed comfort of the train itself
Indeed, standing underneath it is a great experience.  I have never been over the bridge on a train, but think that'll be a priority when I rejig the plan.

I have done both. From memory if you want to stand under the bridge the northern side gives you a much better view. I wonder how long it would take to build something like that in the 21st century - what with elf and safety and all that!
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2016, 20:42:20 »

I have (almost) decided there is too much to fit into 7 days.  Therefore I am considering either 2x 7 days or 1x 14 day rover.

14 days is much more cost effective, but it means two weeks away from home in one block (Cambridge isn't exactly the most easily accessible place to use as a base when exploring the UK (United Kingdom)).  It's a shame they don't offer 'x in x days' products, like the regional rovers, to allow for short breaks (to explore or rest) during a longer trip.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2016, 20:44:38 »

I have (almost) decided there is too much to fit into 7 days.  Therefore I am considering either 2x 7 days or 1x 14 day rover.

14 days is much more cost effective, but it means two weeks away from home in one block (Cambridge isn't exactly the most easily accessible place to use as a base when exploring the UK (United Kingdom)).  It's a shame they don't offer 'x in x days' products, like the regional rovers, to allow for short breaks (to explore or rest) during a longer trip.

From a tracking perspective I don't know how x in x days would work - but then (for one thing) I don't know the limitations or capabilities of the gatelines.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2016, 20:46:00 »

From a tracking perspective I don't know how x in x days would work - but then (for one thing) I don't know the limitations or capabilities of the gatelines.
The local products (e.g. Freedom of Severn and Solent, or Freedom of South West) have a separate coupon with boxes printed.  These boxes are to be completed with the day and month before starting travel that day.  They seem to work reasonably well, although some staff are not aware of the requirement for the boxes coupon!

Here's an example:

(As an aside, that use ticket above from five years ago shows how ludicrous the fares system is.  A FOSS (Freedom of Severn & Solent Rover) rover was considerably cheaper than 4x open returns from Cosham to Bristol.)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2016, 20:50:21 »

I have done both. From memory if you want to stand under the bridge the northern side gives you a much better view. I wonder how long it would take to build something like that in the 21st century - what with elf and safety and all that!

I think you just need to look slightly to the East to a small project being carried out by Transport Scotland.  The new Queensferry crossing is on track for completion later this year - so the answer is 5 years.  However, its health and safety record is somewhat blemished.  
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2016, 21:02:36 »

(As an aside, that use ticket above from five years ago shows how ludicrous the fares system is.  A FOSS (Freedom of Severn & Solent Rover) rover was considerably cheaper than 4x open returns from Cosham to Bristol.)

Another such example - a 3 in 7 freedom of Southwest is cheaper than a return from most Cornwall locations to Portsmouth and possibly Cardiff (I cant remember if Cardiff is in the FOSW (Freedom of (the) South West Rover))

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2016, 09:37:31 »

I cant remember if Cardiff is in the FOSW (Freedom of (the) South West Rover)
Looking at the Freedom Of South West rover validity map, it is. I'm intending to use the 8-in-15 day version to explore Devon & Cornwall, I just hope the ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) guard at Whitland is able to issue it along with the return from Whitland to Cardiff I'll be needing to reach the rover area. Don't know if I'm going to need a seperate return from Crediton to Okehampton though, as that line isn't on the rover map. I may need some anytime singles too for pre-9am travel.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2016, 10:24:18 »

The second Severn crossing has just celebrated its 20th anniversary - it took a little over 4 years to construct - bear in mind the fact it is built on an estuary with one of the largest tidal ranges on the planet to complicate things. The project was completed on time, on budget and with no fatalities, the latter being an enviable record in comparison with the Forth Bridge - you might like to make fun of 'elf and safety', but proper attention to safe working practices DOES save lives and prevent injuries.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2016, 18:01:54 »

I cant remember if Cardiff is in the FOSW (Freedom of (the) South West Rover)
Looking at the Freedom Of South West rover validity map, it is. I'm intending to use the 8-in-15 day version to explore Devon & Cornwall, I just hope the ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) guard at Whitland is able to issue it along with the return from Whitland to Cardiff I'll be needing to reach the rover area. Don't know if I'm going to need a seperate return from Crediton to Okehampton though, as that line isn't on the rover map. I may need some anytime singles too for pre-9am travel.

I've picked up a brand new updated Gwr ranger and rover tickets this morning and Okehampton has a dotted green line for both FOSW and FOD&C. Green dotted line means according to the index valid summer Sunday's only.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2016, 18:12:20 »

Invest a little more & fly up to Inverness on a cheapie....saves a day on the rover getting there/back

Reckon it be far better to Book a Berth on the Cally Sleepers than fly!

Why fly when you have paid for a Rover?

PS Settle to Carlisle is shut between Appleby and Carisle.

Reckon Ryde PH to Shanklin is a must.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2016, 19:29:28 »

I have done both. From memory if you want to stand under the bridge the northern side gives you a much better view. I wonder how long it would take to build something like that in the 21st century's - what with elf and safety and all that!

I think you just need to look slightly to the East to a small project being carried out by Transport Scotland.  The new Queensferry crossing is on track for completion later this year - so the answer is 5 years.  However, its health and safety record is somewhat blemished.  

Here's the new crossing behind the existing road bridge as seen from the "proper" bridge yesterday.  Grin

You can also take a cruise which takes you under the bridge which I did last year and is well worth it.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2016, 19:40:32 »

I have done both. From memory if you want to stand under the bridge the northern side gives you a much better view. I wonder how long it would take to build something like that in the 21st century's - what with elf and safety and all that!

Here's the new crossing behind the existing road bridge as seen from the "proper" bridge yesterday.  Grin

You can also take a cruise which takes you under the bridge which I did last year and is well worth it.

East ? I thought the most easterly bridge was the Forth Rail bridge...maybe my geography is wrong!
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2016, 20:00:15 »

East ? I thought the most easterly bridge was the Forth Rail bridge...maybe my geography is wrong!

No it was my geography that was wrong. It had been a long day!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2016, 10:24:58 »

Invest a little more & fly up to Inverness on a cheapie....saves a day on the rover getting there/back

Reckon it be far better to Book a Berth on the Cally Sleepers than fly!

Why fly when you have paid for a Rover?

Coz you save time usage on the Rover (it can start once you are in Scotland) - PLUS you still have to pay for a berth on the sleeper (not included in the rover price) which pretty much equates to the price of the flight most times.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: