Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 06:38:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 63
  Print  
Author Topic: MetroBus  (Read 236528 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: June 25, 2018, 21:24:41 »

Its official name is Stoke Gifford Transport Link...

I'm old enough to remember when the official name for the QE2 was 'Q4'... I seem to remember they followed the build on 'Blue Peter'.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: June 25, 2018, 22:32:28 »

I'm old enough to remember when the official name for the QE2 was 'Q4'... I seem to remember they followed the build on 'Blue Peter'.

I don't remember Spike Milligan on Blue Peter 😉
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: June 25, 2018, 22:56:06 »

I don't remember Spike Milligan on Blue Peter 😉

What are we going to do now?

Now, please!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: June 26, 2018, 09:25:27 »

Was it in the Sunken Garden?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: June 26, 2018, 18:15:00 »

Wokingham Borough Council have just rejected a planning application from Reading Borough Council for their (small) bit of the Reading Mass Rapid Transit - a bus lane on stilts. As neighbours go, these two never have been particularly friendly, but this one stings quite a bit.

Wokingham, on the other hand, mainly make do with access roads provided for big housing developments under section 106. then they call them bypasses or ring roads, even if they were not designed as such and will route heavy vehicle through these new residential areas.

The latest to open - Winnersh bypass* - is now all 30 mph, but with some odd features such as 30 mph signs on entering side roads and blanked out repeater signs. When new, for a day or two, it was 40 mph (as I recall). The road it bypasses is 40 mph and wider, though sharing unconvincingly with cycle lanes. I wonder: which will be better used? I note it has no road signs at either end, as if they are not sure what traffic they want to use it.

*apart from the bit WBC are building, which they haven't started on yet.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: June 28, 2018, 16:55:18 »

Was it in the Sunken Garden?

Possibly in the Night Garden, starring one of only two actors to have been knighted in more than on one country.

Oh no! It's the Ninky Nonk!

If you don't know what I am talking about, then you have no grandchildren and have never taken hallucinogenic drugs. I couldn't possibly comment.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: June 28, 2018, 17:16:45 »

My favourite bit of In The Night Garden was the sequence at the end, when David Cameron fell over.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: June 28, 2018, 23:04:00 »

Red Squirrel on acid. Now, there's a thought.

(And I have met him!)

Wasn't it Iggle Piggle? My daughter met Dave, both officially and otherwise, at RAF (Royal Air Force) Brize Norton, and the Ganges in Witney. Plus Ed Sheeran, Gary Barlow, Katie Melhua, the Princess Royal, some French guy whose name eludes her, that Obama fellow.

Dave, BTW (by the way), arrived unannounced on his bike, to sort out servicemens problems over a brew. Didn't do him much harm politivcally.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 23:19:40 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: July 12, 2018, 15:41:25 »

Bristol Evening Post has an article and some pictures of what could be some further difficulties with testing on the Ashton Avenue swing bridge.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/watch-what-happened-metrobus-test-1767786

Cannot draw any firm conclusion but a successful test would be a normal service speed run though surely?
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 12, 2018, 16:09:43 »

I don't think you would want to do a clearance test/check at normal speed.  The railway certainly doesn't.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: July 12, 2018, 16:22:06 »

I don't think you would want to do a clearance test/check at normal speed.  The railway certainly doesn't.

Ah yes, I put that rather badly. A clearance test needs to be done gradually, clearly. It's probably the lack of any reported successful run though that drew my attention.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 12, 2018, 16:41:14 »

MetroBust has dismissed claims its buses cannot fit through the newly-built guiderails near Ashton Avenue Swing Bridge

Oh no! It looks as if the buses cannot fit through the newly-built guiderails near Ashton Avenue Swing Bridge!

Now, please!
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 12, 2018, 17:43:59 »

Next time I see my Metrobus insider I'll ask him whats up but I did hear earlier in the week that rectifications to the guide rails could cost up to £2 million as they, the guide rails, have to be modified to allow "vertical springing" to take into account the varying depth of tread on the vehicles tyres using the guided busway. Incidentally, the bus shown in the BEP article was not a Metrobus vehicle but one of the fleet that operates the A1 Bristol Bus Station - Bristol Airport service which I think has a shorter wheelbase to the M3 Emersons Green route vehicles and which will be diverted to use the guided busway when/if it ever becomes a reality. The intended rerouting is not going down very well with airline/travel company staff who work at the airport and travel from the Bedminster area particularly those who are billeted in the Mercure Hotel on Redcliffe Hill and are not always provided with a crew minibus to/from the airport.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 12, 2018, 21:41:29 »

Lay some CWR (Continuously Welded Rail) and get some flanged steel wheel vehicles. Problems solved.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 12, 2018, 21:49:32 »

Lay some CWR (Continuously Welded Rail) and get some flanged steel wheel vehicles. Problems solved.

It does seem to me that guided buses take all the worst elements of trains, trams and buses and combine them together.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 63
  Print  

Jump to: