Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:16:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 63
  Print  
Author Topic: MetroBus  (Read 236451 times)
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: September 06, 2018, 09:33:04 »

I think that there will be a stop outside St Mary Redcliffe inbound eventually, for all those wanting the Harbourside offices.
If we are talking about the same harbourside, most dismounted at Wapping Wharf for the 10-minute schlep up Prince Street. Fairly pleasant in fine weather, less so in winter or carrying baggage, and much less convenient than being dropped outside the office in 8 minutes, especially with a 33% hike in cost.

There is a stop handy for St. Mary Redcliffe on Redcliffe Hill outside the Mercure Hotel, the next stop being Temple Way.

To answer a question that Grahame posed in an earlier post on this thread, there is Metrobus infrastructure to allow alternating services to run in a clockwise loop around the central area apart from Cabot Circus South, in my view not needed, just exit Cabot Circus by the Bond Street exit and use the pedestrian crossing to the M3 stop which is also the stop for the Falcon, 62, T1, Y1, Y2, Y3, Y4 and Y5 services to name most. The only clockwise stop needed would be one on Temple Way opposite the existing anti-clockwise stop. One problem though, waiting for a clockwise service seeing an anticlockwise service traversing the loop in that direction might have got one to LA quicker than the next clockwise service. However it should be re-iterated that all 3 of the high profile P&R (Park and Ride) services, the Brislington, Portway and the m2 Long Ashton, all operate roughly on an anticlockwise route around the central area as does the A1 to/from the Airport.

As an aside to this, a number of high profile employers have re-located from the Harbourside to Temple Quay, Bruges Salmond being one and the recent moving of many council workers into 100 Temple Street from the many distributed locations in the central area of the city.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: September 06, 2018, 10:04:43 »

Just had a telephone conversation with an insider, a cool £250,000 in fines issued for using bus only M32 infrastructure since m3 launch. According to him Google Maps are directing travellers via the bus only exit to access UWE.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: September 06, 2018, 10:07:21 »

Also mentioned on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Points West in Breakfast this morning ,the fines may help to offset some of the cost !.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: September 06, 2018, 10:19:35 »

Also mentioned on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Points West in Breakfast this morning ,the fines may help to offset some of the cost !.

So that'll be a million in a year, only 229 years to go and its all paid for.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: September 06, 2018, 10:32:07 »

According to him Google Maps are directing travellers via the bus only exit to access UWE.

According to me, it doesn't.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: September 06, 2018, 10:44:08 »

According to him Google Maps are directing travellers via the bus only exit to access UWE.
According to me, it doesn't.

Perhaps Google has been corrected, I know that when it opened sat-navs were saying 'take next exit' and I have been on an m3 service which followed and continental arctic up and over the bus only bridge, the arctic driver was happily put on his way to the ring road by our bus driver when the bus on which I was on had to stop so as the arctic could exit from the allotments stop onto Stoke Lane.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: September 06, 2018, 11:17:40 »

Perhaps Google has been corrected...

That's the good thing about Google Maps; it gets updated. I recently looked into updating the built-in satnav in my car, and found that the manufacturers want over £200 for an updated SD card... er, I'll leave it then thank you.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #622 on: September 06, 2018, 11:46:23 »

That's the good thing about Google Maps; it gets updated. I recently looked into updating the built-in satnav in my car, and found that the manufacturers want over £200 for an updated SD card... er, I'll leave it then thank you.

I had similar, but not so expensive at £65. In any case, it wouldn't send me off the M32 at Bridgy McBridgefarce. I can understand someone being momentarily confused when the satnav orders them to "Leave the motorway at the next exit", but there are signs telling them not to at the bus-only junction. I know, though, that there were some who did it perfectly deliberately to get to UWE a bit quicker, until the cameras went up.

Now, please!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: September 06, 2018, 12:38:18 »

Google maps not directing me off the bus exit, nor are any of the other mapping apps I sometimes use. How much are the fines per incident? £250,000 sounds like an awful lot of infringements (also sounds like a rather rounded figure).

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: September 06, 2018, 13:12:59 »

Google maps not directing me off the bus exit, nor are any of the other mapping apps I sometimes use. How much are the fines per incident? £250,000 sounds like an awful lot of infringements (also sounds like a rather rounded figure).

The standard bus lane infringement penalty is £60, or £30 if settled within 14 days. I assume that is what is levied. You could make exactly £250,000 with a combination of those, but it would suggest a minimum 8,000 being caught. That seems a lot, even though people I know overlooking the bridge say there is no shortage of vehicles of all shapes and sizes using it.

Now, please!
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: September 06, 2018, 18:45:07 »

The local Bristol rag is quoting £500,000 plus as total of fines issued.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: September 06, 2018, 19:17:58 »

The local Bristol rag is quoting £500,000 plus as total of fines issued.

So it is - see here.

More than £500k of fines dished out to drivers for using Metrobus-only M32 bridge
Nearly 9,500 people were caught in the 100 days after enforcement cameras were switched on

ByAlex Wood

Nearly 9,500 motorists have been caught driving over the bridge, which is situated next to Stoke Lane in Stapleton, since Metrobus’ M3 service was launched on May 29.

In just 100 days, a total of 9,458 people were caught and fined for using the bridge - which equates to fines totalling £567,480.

Although the amount may appear staggering, Bristol City Council is unlikely to receive this amount as some fines may be appealed and others reduced to £30. So far, the authority has collected a little more than £186,000 in fines from approximately 6,000 people.

The bridge provides a shortcut between the M32 motorway and the University of the West of England (UWE) campus and is reserved for buses only.

But with some drivers reportedly being directed to use the route by sat-nav apps such as Google Maps, few realise they have been caught out by the bridge’s 24-hour CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) until it is too late.

The MetroBust bridge over the M32

Of the 9,458 people who have so far been caught using the bus-only lane, approximately 6,000 have paid their fines to Bristol City Council - equating to £186,485.

A spokesperson for the local authority warned anyone attempting to use the bridge will be hit with a £60 penalty notice.

“The bridge and the surrounding roads leading up to it have been clearly marked as a bus only route since it was created and it remains a crucial element of the Metrobus route, helping it to be quicker and more reliable than other bus services,” the spokesperson said.

“24 hour CCTV is in place along the bridge and we will issue penalty notices for up to £60 to anyone caught using this route without permission.

“If someone feels they have been fined incorrectly they can always appeal the decision by following the instructions on the back of their notice.”

It is understood the £60 fine is reduced to a discounted rate if paid within 14 days.

All proceeds raised from the Metrobus bridge fines are used to cover the cost of enforcement, with any surplus funds reinvested in transport initiatives such as concessionary bus fares and filling potholes.

Metrobus M32 bridge fines

A breakdown:

Since May 29, 9,458 people have been caught and fined for using the Metrobus bridge over the M32, leading to fines worth £567,480
That works out at an average of 95 people driving over the bridge every day
The £60 fines are reduced if paid within a certain time frame, usually 14 days
Of those caught, approximately 6,000 have paid their fines of either £60 or £30 to Bristol City Council - making the council £186,485 in the process
That works out at approximately £1,860 in fines per day

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: September 06, 2018, 19:29:46 »

I seen what you done there - you have added a letter 't' to the Post's copy. Can any of the other children spot it?

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: September 06, 2018, 20:51:24 »

I seen what you done there - you have added a letter 't' to the Post's copy. Can any of the other children spot it?

Well done, young Squirrel! The headmaster will give you your special prize later, behind the bicycle sheds.

Now, please!
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: September 06, 2018, 21:54:36 »

Better go and see Matron later .
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 63
  Print  

Jump to: