Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:35 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:50:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 63
  Print  
Author Topic: MetroBus  (Read 236446 times)
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #750 on: November 30, 2018, 18:30:41 »

Went to a WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about) meeting today to raise an issue on Metrobus ticketing which I have aired on this thread (more on this in a day or so).

However I was despaired to hear that both the Portishead and Henbury projects are dying ducks in the water.

It transpired, according to my informant, that the promoting body of MetroWest Phase 1 decided to split the project into MetroWest Phase 1A and MetroWest Phase 1B and Chris Grayling has told them, the promoters, its no Phase 1A, its no Phase 1B, its Phase 1 or nothing and that also includes the hoped for new station at Charfield.

That was Wednesday, today also attended another WECA meeting and it looks like a re-opened Saltford is looking like a third dying duck in the water too.

Looks like WECA will be having to fund the salaries of 200 or so staff being transferred to it from Bristol CC, BaNES UA and S Glos UA.

N Somerset were there in a token presence but I heard one of their members informally remark, when challenged, why don't you come into WECA, what join in an organisation where decisions are made by one man - no thanks.

I too had my informal two pennuth worth and remarked I'd get em into WECA, dangle a piece of string with a pot of money on the end marked with £50m and  say its yours for the Portishead Line on condition you join WECA and they'll be in there yesterday.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #751 on: November 30, 2018, 21:37:35 »

Don't quite know what to make of this, martyjon. I can believe that there were plenty of sceptics about, but aren't these meetings about signing off an 18-year plan? Are you saying that they are not going to sign off the JLTP?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 22:42:51 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #752 on: December 01, 2018, 06:38:18 »

Don't quite know what to make of this, martyjon. I can believe that there were plenty of sceptics about, but aren't these meetings about signing off an 18-year plan? Are you saying that they are not going to sign off the JLTP?

My impression of WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about) is its nothing more than a white elephant talking shop, sign off a JLTP, yes, but when it comes to implementing the plan and the money is not there, what then.

A leading light of FOSBRA was at Fridays meeting and departed at the lunchtime break even though a statement had been submitted by the individual which entitled the person to speak in the afternoon session. A second leading light of the same organisation said to me, "we've (FOSBRA) lost our way". The first leading light mentioned approached me before the meeting started and asked me if our little group at Yate which has morphed from 'Friends of Yate station' into 'Yate and surrounding area transport forum', would be interested in joining a "Bristol Rail Revival Group', What do you make of that ?

In another brief conversation with the same individual mention was made of tram-train, what did I think. My response was, 'Do you think NR» (Network Rail - home page) will allow a tram-train to operate beyond Temple Meads to Bath and beyond meaning Westbury direction, to Yate / Gloucester, I don't.' Their eyes lit up, 'your thinking along the same lines as me' but the despondency was there and the individual, as stated above, didn't remain for the afternoon session.

Now if Tim Bowles and WECA had done their homework, or even Chris Grayling. who suggested tram-train in the first place, had done his, how about the class 230 Vivarail conversion of ex LT District Line stock. Remember earlier this year Grahame brought this forums members attention to an AGM (Annual General Meeting) of his favorite lines supporting group where the speaker was to extol the virtues of 'GO-OP (Original Poster / topic starter)'. Thats gone all quiet on that front, hasn't it, perhaps the remotest thoughts of re-opening the Portishead line using the Class 230 is getting too close to having to spend WECA money with the 1000's of Portishead people jumping up and down saying yes, yes, yes, we'll have it is getting too close for the comfort of TB.

A subject that reared its ugly head was cross boarder public transport, buses. It was mentioned that if a bus service which uses infrastructure provided solely for a metrobus type service crosses the border, even for a distance of less than 100 metres say, the authority into whose territory the service briefly traverses will have to give permission for the service to operate as the metrobus type service may extract revenue from a service supported by that authority. Knocking North Somerset Parish Council (NSPC) here.

From my observations of yesterdays meeting and previous encounters Tim Bowles and Marvin Rees (he was not there yesterday) seem to be in cahoots with each other even though they are of opposing political entities and both have their eyes on re-election times. Tim Bowles likes to stand in front of cameras to have his piccy took like the recent piccy standing at the roadside at Bences Garage on the A37 where road improvements have recently been completed probably under the complete direction of BaNES UA with not one word of input from TB or one penny of WECA's money. The improvements at the AZTEC roundabout the same, directed by S Glos UA with both schemes probably partly funded, due to them being A roads, by Central Government (DfT» (Department for Transport - about)), but TB is in the piccy.

Evidence of the unease being felt by the 3 UA's forming WECA and the NSPC was the number of statements submitted by elected councillors from these other bodies and believe me a couple of them didn't mince their words. I also submitted a statement of which I will post on this thread together with my prepared speech although in reality I did precis my speech a bit as I wished to save my breath as I distinctly felt my words were falling on deaf ears. 
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #753 on: December 01, 2018, 10:17:18 »

Well I commend you for your patience, martyjon - I think I would have left before lunchtime, from what you say. Do you hold out any hope that WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about) might become more effective as it grows and takes on more staff? 

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #754 on: December 01, 2018, 10:33:39 »

Further to that, this report discusses the various packages of work that would interest us here - including buses, MetroBus, Bristol East jct, tram/train and so on. Looking forward to 1 Feb 2019 when they will update us:

https://westofengland-ca.moderngov.co.uk/documents/s692/15%20-%20WECA%20Transport%20update%2030.11.18%20final%20draft%2019.11.pdf

Meanwhile, this report details how WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about) would like to take on the transport responsibilities of the constituent councils... I may have missed something (I usually do!) but this looks like progress to me:

https://westofengland-ca.moderngov.co.uk/documents/s689/13%20-%20WECA%20ITA%20Functions%20paper%2030%20Nov%20final%2019%20Nov.pdf
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 10:39:34 by Red Squirrel » Logged

metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #755 on: December 01, 2018, 10:39:22 »

Well I commend you for your patience, martyjon - I think I would have left before lunchtime, from what you say.

I'll second that!  It's absolutely shameful what's going on.  How many more headlines about never ending rush hour gridlock - and non rush hour congestion - must there be for the powers that be (whoever they are this week) to finally do something about it rather than just scrap one committee and form a new one with exactly the same remit?!

I've said it before that never mind trying to sort out transport needs to support the future needs of the Greater Bristol area's ever growing population, it's way way behind even being able to support the existing one.  With the amount of politics involved in trying to sort out even the slightest improvement, nothing major ever gets done

And now with the chance of the first stage of major rail improvements - which had already gone all the way up to central government and worked thru the GRIP (Guide to Railway Investment Projects) process - being quietly dropped, you lose faith in anything - of worth at least - EVER happening

I despair

Oh for the day when I can catch a train from Mangotsfield to the Centre, Bath and Yate!  ;-)
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #756 on: December 01, 2018, 12:41:07 »

Meanwhile, this report details how WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about) would like to take on the transport responsibilities of the constituent councils... I may have missed something (I usually do!) but this looks like progress to me:

https://westofengland-ca.moderngov.co.uk/documents/s689/13%20-%20WECA%20ITA%20Functions%20paper%2030%20Nov%20final%2019%20Nov.pdf

TB was elected in May 2017, so was Andy Burnham, Metro Mayor for Manchester. By November 2017 Andy had his Transport  Function all set up with a Public Transport Forum in being.

WECA has taken all the same period of time JUST TO PRODUCE A REPORT on how to combine the transport function of the constituent authorities. Doesn't bode very promising for the future.

Metrobus was well underway and running well behind schedule when TB was elected but he/WECA seems to be patting themselves on the back on the successful introduction of Metrobus.

By the way, take a look at the lastest A0 adverts at the metrobus stops in the central area, METROBUS, coming soon, January 2019. Passenger says to operative who had just put poster in two display cases in Lewins Mead Metrobus stop. 'Oh yea, so whats this we've been travelling on since last May then, A VISION ?' I loved it but I did note that right at the top left of the poster there was a rounded corners white square, sounds like metrobus language doesn't it, with a m1 designation in the rounded square.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #757 on: December 01, 2018, 12:57:01 »

Rail related really but I just heard a funny.

Old lady gets on train and settles down in a seat.
Conductor / Guard comes along, 'tickets please'.
Old lady says to Conductor / Guard, ' is this train going to be on time today ?'
Conductor / Guard says to old lady, 'why is it always late when you're on it'.
'Yes', says old lady.
Conductor / Guard, 'well perhaps its your fault its always late when you're on it'.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #758 on: December 01, 2018, 13:04:11 »

TB was elected in May 2017, so was Andy Burnham, Metro Mayor for Manchester. By November 2017 Andy had his Transport  Function all set up with a Public Transport Forum in being.

WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about) has taken all the same period of time JUST TO PRODUCE A REPORT on how to combine the transport function of the constituent authorities. Doesn't bode very promising for the future.

Greater Manchester had an effective (former) county-wide transport authority in place before Andy Burnham came along.  From 1969 to 1974 it was called SELNEC (South East Lancashire - North East Cheshire) PTA (Passenger Transport Authority) (Passenger Transport Authority) which ran the SELNEC PTE (Passenger Transport Executive) (Passenger Transport Executive), from 1974 to 1986 it was a function of the Greater Manchester Council which ran GM PTE.

After abolition of the Greater Manchester Council in 1986 it was replaced by the Greater Manchester Integrated Transport Authority which under good leadership managed to secure effective cooperation of all 10 district councils* which continued to run GM PTE.  This was replaced 2011 by the Greater Manchester Combined Authority when the PTE became Transport for Greater Manchester.

All this was in place when Andy Burnham was elected first Metro mayor in 2017.

Don't you think that might have given him a bit of a head start?

* Spot the difference with Bristol
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #759 on: December 01, 2018, 13:22:18 »

WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about) has taken all the same period of time JUST TO PRODUCE A REPORT on how to combine the transport function of the constituent authorities. Doesn't bode very promising for the future.

Greater Manchester had an effective (former) county-wide transport authority in place before Andy Burnham came along.  From 1969 to 1974 it was called SELNEC (South East Lancashire - North East Cheshire) PTA (Passenger Transport Authority) (Passenger Transport Authority) which ran the SELNEC PTE (Passenger Transport Executive) (Passenger Transport Executive), from 1974 to 1986 it was a function of the Greater Manchester Council which ran GM PTE.

After abolition of the Greater Manchester Council in 1986 it was replaced by the Greater Manchester Integrated Transport Authority which under good leadership managed to secure effective cooperation of all 10 district councils* which continued to run GM PTE.  This was replaced 2011 by the Greater Manchester Combined Authority when the PTE became Transport for Greater Manchester.

Acknowledged, I'll go and stand in the corner with the dunces cap on for the rest of today.
metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #760 on: December 01, 2018, 13:36:51 »

Plus there was the majorly hyped 'Northern Powerhouse' essentially guaranteeing loads more funding for the North...  once that was in place it opened up endless new (and more than likely long hoped for) projects that could start to be rolled out

When our multiple councils / metro mayor & Bristol's 'my way or the highway' (pun intended) mayor who ignores the rest of his own council whenever he likes can't seem to get it together between them, what hope do us poor folk in the West have?  Aside from the fact that we're growing constantly, one thing the powers that be always love to brag about

Oh for the day when I can catch a train from Mangotsfield to the Centre, Bath and Yate!  ;-)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #761 on: December 01, 2018, 14:10:39 »

...When our multiple councils / metro mayor & Bristol's 'my way or the highway' (pun intended) mayor who ignores the rest of his own council whenever he likes can't seem to get it together between them, what hope do us poor folk in the West have?  Aside from the fact that we're growing constantly, one thing the powers that be always love to brag about

It ought to matter that Greater Bristol is a very successful economy. The alternative to letting the region spend some of its own tax surplus alleviating the congestion problems that this success brings is to allow congestion to strangle that growth; I may be politically naïve but I can't see in whose interest that would be.

I've been following Bristol's transport developments for a very long time, and know the meaning of the word 'frustration', but there just isn't any point in assuming that WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about) and the JTS and JLTP are bound to fail: maybe they will, but (as Winnie the Pooh might say) maybe they won't; either way they are the only game in town. Isn't it just possible that Bristol and Northavon/South Glos might have learnt something from their past struggles?

metalrail

View Profile
« Reply #762 on: December 02, 2018, 09:06:50 »

It ought to matter that Greater Bristol is a very successful economy. The alternative to letting the region spend some of its own tax surplus alleviating the congestion problems that this success brings is to allow congestion to strangle that growth; I may be politically naïve but I can't see in whose interest that would be.

My point exactly, and that's what makes it all the more frustrating

martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #763 on: December 02, 2018, 18:49:35 »

Metrobus

At the launch of this project the slogan -;

Buy Before You Board ;

was used to promote the service however on November 11th this slogan mutated into -;

Buy Before You Board IF YOU CAN.

IF YOU CAN why ?

Until and inclusive of November 10th customers were able to purchase at I-Points both the Bristol Inner Zone Day Ticket and the Bristol Outer Zone Day Ticket.

On November 11th these two products mutated into the Bristol Zone Day Ticket and the West of England Zone Day Ticket of which only the Bristol Zone Day Ticket is available at the I-Points, the re-incarnated Bristol Outer Zone Ticket as the West of England Day Ticket is not.

As a retired IT professional I see no valid reason why the West of England Day Ticket and its cousin, the 7 day West of England Weekly Ticket cannot be included on the screen which gives the sole West of England Monthly Ticket to give a selection of three West of England Zone Tickets, the Day Ticket and the Week and Monthly Season on a single screen display as many of the other ticket seem to be grouped in 3's.

I look forward eagerly to the Authority's excuses why this situation prevails and the reasons for the Authority's future procrastinations in preventing a swift resolution to customers like myself who find themselves disadvantaged.

Can customers like myself legitimately claim the I-Point is not working, it won't sell me the ticket I want. No, I've tried it, the female driver who I enquired about this situation agreed with me, the West of England Day Ticket SHOULD be available at the I-Point after she had consulted the I-Point at the Emersons Green Terminus and then consulted the on board ticket machine and found no West of England Day Ticket on there either.

STUMPED, so am I.

End of statement to WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about).

I prepared a further statement to read as was my right but starting to read it I could see TB leaning to one side (his right) listening to what the bod on his right was whispering in his ear and then he leaned to his left and spoke to the legal eagle and that's when I cracked. They aren't listening to a f***ing word I'm saying so I precised my speech finishing with word nothing and I wasn't surprised, I got not one word, Not even a thank you for your statement like the others got so I wasn't surprised.

The following is the statement I had prepared to read out.

Thank you mayor Mr. Bowles.

I don't need three minutes to vent my exasperations and frustration at not being able to buy before I board under the new Firsts fare structure despite being advised in this leaflet that I would be able to at Metrobus I-Points. I'll forfeit the remaining time allocated to me to allow you. Tim, to explain to me and this assembled gathering what you / WECA are going to do to rectify the situation I so clearly described in my statement and I do not expect an answer being any other than a one word, nothing, thank you.

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #764 on: December 02, 2018, 20:18:35 »

It has to be said that the ticketing system could be easier to understand:

When buying tickets online, you’ll be able to collect them at a metrobus iPoint 2 hours later, or on the bus (except First buses and metrobus services) and Bristol Park & Ride sites the following day from 6am (when ordered before 11pm).

Source: travelwest

While I was looking into this I couldn't help noticing that the uri metrobus.co.uk belongs to the Go-Ahead group who use it for 'ordinary' bus services in Sussex, Surrey and Kent. To distinguish the West of England (WoE) operation, they had to come up with a different name... For some reason, they seem to have avoided the obvious metrobuswoe.co.uk and  registered metrobusbristol.co.uk, almost acknowledging the existence of Bristol...

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 63
  Print  

Jump to: