Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:35 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:42:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 63
  Print  
Author Topic: MetroBus  (Read 236445 times)
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 20, 2017, 14:58:28 »

I have to wonder if Marvin is trying to generate a smoke screen to cover the council's fairly woeful performance, or indeed what he might have been smoking for that matter. 

As I see it, there's zero chance that Grayling or anyone else in the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) is going to let Bristol build anything of significance with Chinese money. And indeed, why would the Chinese be bothered with mucking around in the UK (United Kingdom) when there are ample, much less risky opportunities in Asia, Africa and Latin America?

If Marvin wants to play the grand transport vision game, then he'd do much better to work with what he's got and work with NR» (Network Rail - home page) to pull together a decent masterplan for Temple Meads and improve the local stations including the Severn Beach line
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #181 on: October 24, 2017, 21:09:56 »

Tonight there has been severe grid lock in Bradley Stoke and Patchway due to an accident on the M5/M4 interchange.

Whilst this might not be major news, the two areas have several stretches of single mixed use road, which Metrobus will use, so £200M+ spent and on evenings like tonight, Metrobus would be broken!

Surely a consultant at the start of the projection should have told them invest in rail, and use buses to link rail to communities and activities, and not run long bus routes with complicated congestion points.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 07:06:32 by simonw » Logged
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #182 on: October 24, 2017, 21:29:34 »

Not so long ago, a firm of apparently 'professional consultants' proposed that the Severn Beach Branch railway line should be concreted over and turned into a bus lane.  Roll Eyes

Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 24, 2017, 23:57:59 »

Aye, and there's the rub...

Now, please!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 25, 2017, 12:56:54 »

Judging by my admittedly infrequent and shallow browsing of the Post, crashes on the M5 and M4 round Bristol are a weekly event at this time of year.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #185 on: November 03, 2017, 06:16:46 »

Picker this up on my data feed - conversation, no link back to source:

Announcement from Bristol Metrobus whose system opens shortly. Cycles and taxis will be permitted in all the busways [excluding only the short guided section between Ashton Gate Park & Ride and Cumberland Road & the bus-only access ramp to the M32].

Confirmation?  Consequences?  Comment?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 03, 2017, 09:59:03 »

Nothing showing on https://travelwest.info/metrobus

Very disappointed that I won't be allowed to ride my bicycle on the M32...  Cheesy

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #187 on: November 03, 2017, 10:08:26 »

Nothing showing on https://travelwest.info/metrobus

Very disappointed that I won't be allowed to ride my bicycle on the M32...  Cheesy

You can ride your bike up what everyone thinks is the M32 as far as the Ashley Road roundabout, as legally the motorway doesn't start until that junction. I have done it a few times.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 28, 2017, 23:27:40 »

Errm, surprise surprise?

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/metrobus-wont-ready-until-least-847650
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #189 on: November 30, 2017, 01:39:23 »

This is, of course, the same Metrobus which Bristol City Council have already announced to have been a success.  Tongue

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 30, 2017, 08:39:44 »

Well they have no chance.  I have never seen anything at a bus stop that works 100%...... Roll Eyes

Because people will not be able to pay for the tickets from the driver, and if they haven’t got them in advance they will buy them from those information points, those information points have to be absolutely 100 per cent reliable” said a MetroBus spokesperson.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 30, 2017, 12:50:43 »

And for an encore this week, BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Radio Local reports that Metrobust have admitted that their bus will not actually go up to Parkway station building entrance as originally promised. Seems a lot of their spiralling costs are attributed to spending within the Scheme Dilution Dept.
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #192 on: November 30, 2017, 12:59:03 »

Its been clear for almost two years that Metrobus will not visit Bristol Parkway, but Parkway North Park and Ride, which is 5-10 minutes walk away.

The proposed Bristol Parkway to Cribbs Causeway, will connect with Bristol Parkway but will not connect with the two Metrobus routes routes that stop at Parkway Norther park and ride.

It a shame that part of the Metrobus millions could not of allowed construction a bus entrance at  Bristol Parkway, by the Car Park at the back, and all three routes could have met at a common bus stop to provide quick access to local and inter-city trains.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 30, 2017, 13:41:26 »

Ah, it's Parkway Parkway!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 30, 2017, 14:17:26 »

Shouldn't that be Partway to Parkway?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 63
  Print  

Jump to: