Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:46 Bristol Temple Meads to Warminster
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
13:50 London Paddington to Great Malvern
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
19:04 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 14:43:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[135] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[85] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Travel for free on the m2 metrobus - Bristol - 4,5,6 April 202...
[36] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[34] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[33] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 63
  Print  
Author Topic: MetroBus  (Read 236609 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #225 on: February 27, 2018, 04:45:31 »

... is now adored by all, who love the speed compared to buses on ordinary roads, and that Bristolians will fall in love with MetroBus as soon as they experience such speed in our gridlocked city ...

I think she may me right.  If you take something that takes an hour is reduced to 40 minutes, you'll get lots of positives - especially by people who don't realise there were other options that could have brought it down to 25 to 30 minutes.    Numbers used are purely illustrational!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 27, 2018, 09:29:55 »

Beaten by Luton.  Shocked And they've got a more famous airport!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 27, 2018, 12:59:36 »

With all the crystal ball gazers forecasting the heavens will be dropping a load of white stuff on us in the next few days I heard last night that snow ploughs cant be used on the guided bit of the metrobus routes. As most snow ploughs available in the area where I reside also double as gritters I said to my informant, 'what with all the millions spent on this project they didn't include the luxury of a sub-surface heating elements to switch on automatically when air temperatures drop to 4 degrees C on the ramps leading up to the Ashton Metrobus flyover ?'  Huh

Incidentally, on mentioned the side swiping of two buses on a test run over the route my informant informed me that parts of the route are having to be re-worked.

The only bit of this project in use, the extended bus lane on the M32, is proving itself but is no good for buses using the bus only access point on the M32 and then getting caught in the daily gridlocked traffic from the Hambrook Junction to the Muller Road exit / flyover.

A neighbour of mine with a daughter at UWE travels with his daughter to UWE and then bus to the Cabot Circus tells me that he cant see how buses will be able to achieve a 20 minute journey time from UWE to the central area when currently on his experience it regularly can take 45 minutes to do the journey, a 5 minute journey time reduction might be possible when most commuters want to travel by using the bus only M32 access point.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 27, 2018, 13:20:17 »

... is now adored by all, who love the speed compared to buses on ordinary roads, and that Bristolians will fall in love with MetroBus as soon as they experience such speed in our gridlocked city ...

I think she may me right.  If you take something that takes an hour is reduced to 40 minutes, you'll get lots of positives - especially by people who don't realise there were other options that could have brought it down to 25 to 30 minutes.    Numbers used are purely illustrational!
Is that one of your famous typos grahame, did you not mean illusional in the Metrobust context?  Grin
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 13:45:26 by PhilWakely » Logged
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 27, 2018, 16:16:56 »

With all the crystal ball gazers forecasting the heavens will be dropping a load of white stuff on us in the next few days I heard last night that snow ploughs cant be used on the guided bit of the metrobus routes. As most snow ploughs available in the area where I reside also double as gritters I said to my informant, 'what with all the millions spent on this project they didn't include the luxury of a sub-surface heating elements to switch on automatically when air temperatures drop to 4 degrees C on the ramps leading up to the Ashton Metrobus flyover ?'  Huh

Incidentally, on mentioned the side swiping of two buses on a test run over the route my informant informed me that parts of the route are having to be re-worked.

The only bit of this project in use, the extended bus lane on the M32, is proving itself but is no good for buses using the bus only access point on the M32 and then getting caught in the daily gridlocked traffic from the Hambrook Junction to the Muller Road exit / flyover.

A neighbour of mine with a daughter at UWE travels with his daughter to UWE and then bus to the Cabot Circus tells me that he cant see how buses will be able to achieve a 20 minute journey time from UWE to the central area when currently on his experience it regularly can take 45 minutes to do the journey, a 5 minute journey time reduction might be possible when most commuters want to travel by using the bus only M32 access point.

Snowploughs apparently won't fit in the guided busways. So long as the buses can still move, they should still be able to function. They won't be able to skid off the road, I assume! The theme-park skew bridge is not guided, and will close whenever there is any appreciable snowfall. MetroBust from the Long Ashton Park and Ride will therefore use the A370 over Humpty Dumpty Way. It will be interesting to see how services fare in such circumstances, given that they will have to go around Ashton Vale first before getting stuck on Winterstoke Road with everybody else. If sub-surface heater elements were ever specified, they would have been value-engineered down to a couple of guys with hot water bottles ny now.

I have been on a 47 bus along the M32 bus lane, and it is very good. I wonder how the bus will get across the traffic as it joins at Junction 2 from Muller Road, immediately meeting traffic pulling to the left to exit at J3. I have also seen other buses and taxis hurtle past me as I wait patiently in the car, so the bus lane is without doubt a Good Thing for public transport. Did we really need the other £240 million-worth of MetroBust though? Traffic often backs up to the bus-only slip road. When that happens, MetroBust services will back up with it, quickly turning from one every 10 minutes to 3 every 30 minutes.

Interesting to hear about the reworking on the guided bit. MetroBust and the councils have been strangely quiet on that rather major issue.

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #230 on: February 27, 2018, 18:29:57 »

Is that one of your famous typos grahame, did you not mean illusional in the Metrobust context?  Grin

What I wrote woz wot I meant ... for wonce!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 27, 2018, 20:17:04 »

...snip...
Traffic often backs up to the bus-only slip road. When that happens, MetroBust services will back up with it, quickly turning from one every 10 minutes to 3 every 30 minutes.
That's a problem to a greater or lesser extent with all bus lanes everywhere, though. Unfortunately.

simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #232 on: February 27, 2018, 21:40:57 »

Bus traffic will always backup when a route traverses the Temple Meads Gyratory as its half way point in its route.

The Cribbs Causeway route to Hengrove route will FAIL. It will not deliver a reliable, frequent service because there are two many strangle points in the route from Newfoundland Rd to Temple Meads.

The people in charge of this route should have split it into three!

• Cribbs CauseWay to Bristol Parkway
  • Bristol Parkway to Bristol Temple Meads
  • Bristol Temple Meads to Hengrove

Integrating Bus and Rail tickets would make this service a success. Not integrating them is a FAIL.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 27, 2018, 21:50:53 »

...snip...
Traffic often backs up to the bus-only slip road. When that happens, MetroBust services will back up with it, quickly turning from one every 10 minutes to 3 every 30 minutes.
That's a problem to a greater or lesser extent with all bus lanes everywhere, though. Unfortunately.

Exactly! So why are we spending a quarter of a billion quid on doing the same old same old, and telling everybody it will work?

Now, please!
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #234 on: February 27, 2018, 22:20:15 »

I'd suggest that the people in charge want to tick a few boxes in a performance report, without ever having waited for a bus not to turn up, or to arrive late with two of its friends.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 28, 2018, 10:37:16 »

...snip...

Exactly! So why are we spending a quarter of a billion quid on doing the same old same old, and telling everybody it will work?
Because councils don't have the guts and/or sense to make bus lanes continuous or where there is only room for one lane, to give them priority over the general lane.

Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 28, 2018, 13:43:57 »

Bus traffic will always backup when a route traverses the Temple Meads Gyratory as its half way point in its route.

You may be right, but the Temple Circus Gyratory is currently undergoing alterations which, among other things, should streamline the traffic flow. We'll see.

The Cribbs Causeway route to Hengrove route will FAIL. It will not deliver a reliable, frequent service because there are two many strangle points in the route from Newfoundland Rd to Temple Meads.

The people in charge of this route should have split it into three!

• Cribbs CauseWay to Bristol Parkway
  • Bristol Parkway to Bristol Temple Meads
  • Bristol Temple Meads to Hengrove

Integrating Bus and Rail tickets would make this service a success. Not integrating them is a FAIL.

When I was a boy I used to catch the No.3 bus, which ran from Whitchurch to Filton Church/Patchway - a broadly similar route. In the early 70's, they chopped it in two, with the 32 doing Whitchurch - Centre and the 73/74 covering Centre - Filton Church/Patchway. Later, cross-city routes were re-instated with the 54 and 55.

My point here is that when there are cross-city routes, it tends to look like a good idea to split them to mitigate delays caused by congestion, but no sooner is that done than the convenience of through journeys starts to look attractive. Sadly, Brexit negotiators aside, you can't have your cake and eat it.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 28, 2018, 15:26:27 »

When I was a boy I used to catch the No.3 bus, which ran from Whitchurch to Filton Church/Patchway - a broadly similar route. In the early 70's, they chopped it in two, with the 32 doing Whitchurch - Centre and the 73/74 covering Centre - Filton Church/Patchway. Later, cross-city routes were re-instated with the 54 and 55.

My point here is that when there are cross-city routes, it tends to look like a good idea to split them to mitigate delays caused by congestion, but no sooner is that done than the convenience of through journeys starts to look attractive. Sadly, Brexit negotiators aside, you can't have your cake and eat it.

A most eloquently put argument for light rail services across the city. Unlike MetroBust, such schemes are not easily "value-engineered". Find the optimum termini, join them taking in any other areas that can be connected without losing time and following rail lines or other segregated routes, and voila! If there is any vacant ground being passed, buy it before starting work, then get some of the cost back from selling to developers.

The obvious flaw is that you are providing infrastructure before new houses are built over any possible alignments. Not the Bristol way at all.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 16:49:27 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 16, 2018, 22:29:30 »

Well the "at least" delayed (again) Easter start date is looming large and it's all quiet on the Metrobust front.  I always look forward to the next wheeling out of the PR (Public Relations) dept spokesperson to give us another tale. Tough gig but it was a career choice.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 17, 2018, 17:04:55 »

Well the "at least" delayed (again) Easter start date is looming large and it's all quiet on the Metrobust front.  I always look forward to the next wheeling out of the PR (Public Relations) dept spokesperson to give us another tale. Tough gig but it was a career choice.

Comical Ali needed a job - any job that matched his skills - after the Iraq war finished.

I have read that the first route to open will be from Emersons Green to the Centre, as the work on the Bromley Heath viaduct is nearing completion, and no further work is needed as it uses ordinary roads / bus lanes until UWE. It was supposed to be the Ashton Vale to Temple Meads, but all has gone quiet there.

Lest we forget, this was originally scheduled to be up and running in 2015. For an Easter opning, they have until April Fools' Day. MetroBust can find some solace in the fact that the Orthodox Easter is 8 April this year, meaning they could at a pinch have 3 weeks to get it under way without looking stupid.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 63
  Print  

Jump to: