Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:43:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 63
  Print  
Author Topic: MetroBus  (Read 236438 times)
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: April 28, 2018, 18:58:41 »

Just imagine how efficient it would be if MetroBug just ran from the depot to the first stop and back again. No delays or problems with ticket machines! None of those pesky passengers!

Metrobust might be taking notes here! 😀
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #346 on: April 28, 2018, 19:24:24 »

I have said it many times, Metrobus will fail because it does not integrate with a frequent rail service!

A bus every 5 minutes, with connecting trains every 10 minutes ... and so on, all on one ticket!

When Metrobus starts in Bradley Stoke, I'll have a twenty minute stroll to Willow Brook shopping centre, and then a 35 minute bus journey to Bristol Centre, or a two minute stroll and get 73 bus for 50 minutes bus journey, or a 12 minute cycle ride to Bristol Parkway for a 15 minute train journey.

Will I get Metrobus?, yes once to try it out, and then back to my bike and train.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 29, 2018, 11:42:58 »

I'm intrigued, what will happen on MetroBus when a stops ticket machine is OOO, will the bus drivers convey passengers to the next stop where the ticket machine is fit and well and make passengers get off, get their tickets and wait while the multitude obtain their tickets and reboard the vehicle, that'll slow down the service.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #348 on: April 29, 2018, 13:52:30 »

I'm intrigued, what will happen on MetroBus when a stops ticket machine is OOO, will the bus drivers convey passengers to the next stop where the ticket machine is fit and well and make passengers get off, get their tickets and wait while the multitude obtain their tickets and reboard the vehicle, that'll slow down the service.

Split ticketing on buses here in Wiltshire works in a way similar to your suggesting - seniors with ENCTS (English National Concessionary Travel Scheme) passes who want to travel on a none-easment service just before 09:30 buy tickets to one stop after the place the bus is scheduled to leave at 09:30+, and get off and on again or - if there's no-one official around, walk up to the driver and check in again.

Of course, seniors have this ENCTS watershed five days out of seven, whereas ticket machines - employing modern electronic reliable robust technology - will very rarely by Out of Order, so the delays in this circumstance will be very rare indeed, right?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 29, 2018, 16:28:17 »

.... whereas ticket machines - employing modern electronic reliable robust technology - will very rarely by Out of Order, so the delays in this circumstance will be very rare indeed, right?

Wrong, modern electronic reliable robust technology will still require frequent human intervention to replenish the machines supply of ticket blanks when they run out. Grin
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 29, 2018, 18:57:45 »

One of a number of questions that are unanswered. Some of them are unasked, and will only become apparent if and when it opens for business.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 29, 2018, 19:57:04 »

We could always look for a precedent - presumably at least one of the hundreds of other operators worldwide who use this sort of system will have come up with a good answer.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 29, 2018, 23:20:00 »

We could always look for a precedent - presumably at least one of the hundreds of other operators worldwide who use this sort of system will have come up with a good answer.

As we don't seem to have consulted any of them before building MetroBust, I shouldn't think we have done much research into ticketing options. Most of the ones I have seen in foreign climes seem to involve a tobacconist's shop next to the stop. The only one I can think of along the MetroBust route is the kiosk in the Asdabury in Bedminster Parade.

Foreign operators would probably stand outside Temple Meads and wonder where the BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) route is. In Buenos Aires, it is the four lane middle bit of Avenue 9 de Julio, just down from Belgrano station, with 6 lanes of traffic either side. We don't have squares that big in Brizzle, let alone roads. In Lisbon, buses follow the tram tracks where they are separated from the roads. I haven't been to Curitiba in Brazil yet, but I am told they have bi-articulated buses running entirely separately from all other traffic, yet fully integrated with all public transport. They would probably look at MetroBust and say "But it's just a bus!" So it's probably best that we don't embarass ourselves by asking for advice.

Now, please!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 30, 2018, 11:46:12 »

They would probably look at MetroBust and say "But it's just a bus!"
Nonsense! It's a... Actually, I think we might (as in public opinion, press, etc) be accepting that it is in fact just a bus and a couple of bridges; and the more we accept that, the better, I reckon. At least it will lessen the disappointment from overblown expectations!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 30, 2018, 22:04:50 »

The BristleLivePost, or is it Bristol Post-Life, has a story about "Bristol's silliest bus lane," referring to lane on Cumberland Rd installed for MetroBus. The alleged silliness comes from its short length and the parking spaces in it. Ok, that's silly but Bristol's silliest? The bus lane on Gloucester Rd has exactly the same features, as I'm sure do many others.
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/metrobus-bristol-silliest-bus-lane-1517434

As an aside I rode my bicycle in this lane yesterday and over the nearby bridge (the one near Create Centre, not the new snaky one!) so I'm going to claim I've already used MetroBus.  Tongue

johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 30, 2018, 22:11:31 »

Bmblbzzz, at this rate you might be able to say we're using the only means of transport on it. 😊
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 01, 2018, 02:18:45 »

The BristleLivePost, or is it Bristol Post-Life, has a story about "Bristol's silliest bus lane," referring to lane on Cumberland Rd installed for MetroBus. The alleged silliness comes from its short length and the parking spaces in it. Ok, that's silly but Bristol's silliest? The bus lane on Gloucester Rd has exactly the same features, as I'm sure do many others.
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/metrobus-bristol-silliest-bus-lane-1517434

As an aside I rode my bicycle in this lane yesterday and over the nearby bridge (the one near Create Centre, not the new snaky one!) so I'm going to claim I've already used MetroBus.  Tongue

Are you also referring to the Non Bus Lane Fishponds Road Bus Lane from the Cross Hands in Fishponds to Royate Hill in Eastville by any chance.

On my last reconnaissance over at Lyde Green I noticed that the double yellow line painters have been busy and have completed an almost continuous stretch of double yellow lines through the residential streets that Metrobus will operate along when the service commences at the end of this month.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 02:55:19 by martyjon » Logged
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 02, 2018, 21:53:33 »

Sorry, no, I'm referring to the lane on Cumberland Rd. And the one on Gloucester Rd, but that's not for MetroBus. I haven't been up Fishponds Rd for quite some time!

martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 03, 2018, 06:31:52 »

The bus lane on Gloucester Rd has exactly the same features, as I'm sure do many others.

I interpreted the ' many others ' to include other useless sections of bus lanes within the city boundaries when I referred to the Non Bus Lane Fishponds Road Bus Lane from the Cross Hands in Fishponds to Royate Hill in Eastville.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 03, 2018, 16:06:55 »

Another Mishap ?

Had a couple of pints lunchtime today with my knowledgeable MetroBus informer and he told me the latest.

When the dimwits at MetroBus HQ (Headquarters) announced the start date of the rapidly brought forward / somewhat rather  belatedly opening of this wunderful white elephant with the hurriedly elevation of the route M3 as the launch route of this service they did so without consulting the bus company which had been chosen to operate the service. It transpired that the earliest the service could start going through the set down regulatory procedure relating to the introduction of new local bus services was June 10th. Oh dear, we've already announced it as May 29th, it was intended to be May 28th until it was pointed out that May 28th was a Bank Holiday, never mind said the boss who relishes in spending other people money we'll run it free from the date we've already announced until June 9th provided the operating bus company can provide the resources and we'll reimburse the bus company out of the taxpayers bottomless barrel of cash for doing so. Now the dimwits have to explain to the Traffic Commissioners why the service is not commencing on June 10th as the approved application is now effective from and starting on June 11th instead.

From a press release ;-

The first MetroBus route, Service M3 will commence operating from 27 May 2018 and will link the City Centre with Emersons Green via UWE every 20 minutes Monday to Saturday between approximately 0600 and 1900 and every 30 minutes between 1900 and 2100. There will be no service on Sundays and Public Holidays.

Service M3 will operate a limited stop service and will take advantage of a number of bus priority measures along the route, including the M32 bus only junction.

Service M3 will be free of charge to use until 9 June 2018.

After 9 June 2018 tickets will need to be purchased off-bus as MetroBus does not allow for tickets to be purchased from the driver. This can be done by Metrobus iPoints, First mTicket app, Travelwest smartcards, payZone stores or Avon/Bristol rider tickets.

Service UWE will be withdrawn from 27 May 2018. Passengers normally using service UWE during the summer holidays will be able to use MetroBus Service M3 for travel between the City Centre and UWE. Service M3 operates up to every 20 minutes between 0600 and 2100.

Also they've dropped clangers in the press release as quoted above. They've stated that the service will commence operating from 27 May 2018 (actually its from 29 May) and operate every 20 minutes from approximately 06:00 to 19:00 and then every 30 minutes until 21:00 and later in the same press release relating to the withdrawal of the UWE service stating that users of the UWE service will be able to use the new M3 service which operates up to every 20 minutes between 06:00 and 21:00.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 16:13:43 by martyjon » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 63
  Print  

Jump to: