09:27 Carmarthen to London Paddington
09:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 10:00:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[156] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[109] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[63] Signage - not making it easy ...
[13] IETs at Melksham
[12] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[11] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 63
  Print  
Author Topic: MetroBus  (Read 237915 times)
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: May 03, 2018, 19:27:45 »

Up to every 20 minutes means that they may also be less frequent than that at times. They are quoting the maximum frequency

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #361 on: May 03, 2018, 19:36:14 »

Up to every 20 minutes means that they may also be less frequent than that at times. They are quoting the maximum frequency

What are they going to do with the bus lane for the other 19 minutes in 20??

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 03, 2018, 20:14:17 »

What are they going to do with the bus lane for the other 19 minutes in 20??

From press release ;-

New service T1 will operate every 30 minutes Monday to Saturday daytime and every 60 minutes Sunday / Public Holiday daytime.

The route from Bristol will be via the M32, A4174, Stoke Gifford Transport Link and Bradley Stoke Way to Aztec West, then following the current Service 78/79 route to Thornbury Town Centre.

Within Thornbury, Service T1 will operate a one way loop, which will serve more of Moreton Way and will return directly to Thornbury Town Centre via Gloucester Road

Service T1 will start and terminate at Colston Street in Bristol City Centre and will not stop in Bristol Bus Station.

They're gonna use two of the remaining 57 in the hour for the re-routed Thornbury service 79 which will become the T1 and start from Colston Street which is effectively a cul-de-sac after all the upheaval and revamping in the centre and hope they've tested the feasibility of the buses to adequately perform a three point turn at the bottom of Colston Street outside the Colston Hall.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #363 on: May 03, 2018, 20:33:31 »

... and hope they've tested the feasibility of the buses to adequately perform a three point turn at the bottom of Colston Street outside the Colston Hall.

You'ld be surprised where they can turn a bus  Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 03, 2018, 20:54:22 »

... and hope they've tested the feasibility of the buses to adequately perform a three point turn at the bottom of Colston Street outside the Colston Hall.

Melksham station is a special place but did the driver manage it in a three point turn, I was thinking more of a turntable with a bus stop both sides so that when the bus arrives and terminates passengers get of at the terminal stop and the bus is turned so the stop becomes the departure stop and when the bus leaves the next terminating service arrives onto the empty turntable at a terminating stop and is turned so the terminating stop becomes the departure stop and so on and on and on ....
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 04, 2018, 09:25:12 »

They're gonna use two of the remaining 57 in the hour for the re-routed Thornbury service 79 which will become the T1 and start from Colston Street which is effectively a cul-de-sac after all the upheaval and revamping in the centre and hope they've tested the feasibility of the buses to adequately perform a three point turn at the bottom of Colston Street outside the Colston Hall.

I'm all for criticising JustaBus, but let's not get away from the fact that the roadworks at The Centre constitute an improvement - it has been a hellish mess since they put the Inner Circuit Road through, so the upheaval of finally burying that was well worthwhile.

As for turning buses: I dare say they'll use the, er,  bus turning circle at the junction of Prince St and King St. Probably a bit easier than grahame's example!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 04, 2018, 09:26:24 »

How do you make out Colston Street to be "effectively a cul-de-sac"?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 04, 2018, 12:17:50 »

.... let's not get away from the fact that the roadworks at The Centre constitute an improvement ....

Evidently you are too young to remember how the Centre looked in the early 1950's

As for turning buses: I dare say they'll use the, er,  bus turning circle at the junction of Prince St and King St....

But how would they get there from Colston Street ?
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 04, 2018, 12:34:10 »

How do you make out Colston Street to be "effectively a cul-de-sac"?

Since they blocked of the exit from Colston Street onto Colston Avenue, Pipe Lane alongside the Colston Hall now being the exit from Colston Street at the Colston Hall / Colston Tower end of Colston Street unless the buses are going to use a Colston Street / Trenchard Street / Pipe Lane route to terminate in Colston Street. My guess is that the Barons at Metrobus HQ (Headquarters) have misquoted the terminating / starting point for M3 as Colston Street when they really mean Colston Avenue and expect us Bristolians to be mind readers.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 04, 2018, 13:57:59 »

Buses, taxis and cycles can go along the full length of Colston St and turn left on to Colston Av. Unless they've changed it again in the last month or so. There's a sign there calling this a "bus gate", which might make a good description for the whole MetroBus project.  Grin

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 04, 2018, 18:42:33 »

Buses, taxis and cycles can go along the full length of Colston St and turn left on to Colston Av. Unless they've changed it again in the last month or so. There's a sign there calling this a "bus gate", which might make a good description for the whole MetroBus project.  Grin

I do apologise. I haven't been in the vicinity of the Colston Street, St. Augustines Parade, Colston Avenue junction since the reconstruction of the centre started although I have travelled by bus through Rupert Street and past the War Memorial then left across to Broad Quay and thence Prince Street. Have to take a walk around the Centre when I next visit Harbourside.

PROGRESS at Emersons Green. the bus shelter at the Emersons Green terminus was installed today, today cos I sore it being installed, No Information Point or Ticket Machine yet but Metrobus is slowly, slowly coming together at last after over 10 years in gestation.
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 09, 2018, 00:18:35 »

Yes indeed. Not just First who sometimes try and turn them in potentially unsuitable places.

One Saturday, a few years back, my boss asked me to go and collect a car from Redditch. However due to engineering works there were replacement buses in operation from Birmingham New Street to Redditch and the one I ended up on was a Scania Omnicity single-decker, of 12 metres length, from TWM's fleet.

At one point, while inbetween stops, the driver took a left turn just slightly before the one we should have taken and we ended up in a cul-de-sac. The result was a 20-point (at least! -  Grin) turn but, helped by there being a circular space at the end of the road, the driver got out of the cul-de-sac without damaging the vehicle. Most of the residents in the street filmed it but a couple did help the driver who, I presume, had his leg pulled for a while after.

Dave
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 10, 2018, 22:04:52 »

Timetable at -;

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/travelwest/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/m3-timetable-May-2018.pdf

Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 10, 2018, 22:22:44 »

.... let's not get away from the fact that the roadworks at The Centre constitute an improvement ....

Evidently you are too young to remember how the Centre looked in the early 1950's

Hey, you're arguing with the wrong bloke here - I wrote the Wikipedia article on The Centre. Wink

To be fair, I don't remember it from before the '57 remodelling, but it stayed much the same for 31 years after that - a God-forsaken stinking racetrack with hideous over-manicured lawns and only regimented Golden Irish Yews to lighten the mood. Anyone who hankers after that probably is probably nostalgic about  rickets and diphtheria.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 10, 2018, 22:48:01 »

And has there hands painted purple caus they got ringworm .
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 63
  Print  

Jump to: