Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
13:50 London Paddington to Great Malvern
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
19:04 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 14:55:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[127] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[80] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[59] Who needs a travel agent these days?
[44] Travel for free on the m2 metrobus - Bristol - 4,5,6 April 202...
[34] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[32] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 63
  Print  
Author Topic: MetroBus  (Read 236613 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: June 06, 2018, 09:37:44 »

Don't mind me; I'm just trying to remember where I buried me nuts...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: June 06, 2018, 10:37:11 »

They're in the topic; one in every bite.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #452 on: June 06, 2018, 11:45:44 »

Don't mind me; I'm just trying to remember where I buried me nuts...
Waaay off topic Gentlemen, BUT.
Very many thanks for so many chuckles in any thread on the forum.
A move to the "The Lighter Side" (only in jest before someone shoots me)
Good to have a giggle in a serious life

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: June 06, 2018, 19:29:51 »

They're in the topic; one in every bite.

I remember that advert.

🎶What has a hazelnut in every bite?🎵

Squirrel s**t "Topic!"

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: June 06, 2018, 20:06:42 »

I think you were right first time ! Grin
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: June 06, 2018, 20:13:51 »

Talking of ;-

Squirrel s**t

The tops of the MetroBus I-points (ticket machines for normal people) in the City Centre are seemingly providing a very handy roosting place for pigeons and seagulls who have no qualms about leaving their trade mark white streaks all down the departure screens and the touch screens for purchasing tickets. One of the MetroBus Ambassadors, you know the student types positioned at some of the MetroBus stops wearing either or both of a red sweatshirt and/or a grey showerproof fleece sporting the m MetroBus logo told me this morning that one day last week he had the task of removing all the defficated material from the touch screen but needed steps or a ladder to remove such matter from higher up on the timetable screen. So a tip to anyone purchasing a ticket from these contraptions, always look up before you make your purchase to ensure there is no rear end of a pigeon of a seagull overhanging when making your purchase or else your credit card might get christened with a white splog whilst you are inserting ir or removing it from the keypad.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: June 06, 2018, 20:24:38 »

I bet the ticket machine designers didn't consider that for a nano second. Cue nasty grey spikes being inserted on top of said machines just like the ones designed to put off the pigeons in the bus station. I think it would a more salutary lesson for the designers of the hideous concraptions would be  to shin up a ladder with a bucket and sponge,in their designer suits, rather than inflict the onerous  task on studenty ambassaors who are probably being paid a pittance anyway.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 20:31:40 by chuffed » Logged
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: June 06, 2018, 21:22:34 »

That's quite a good point. I expect many of the pigeons and gulls are actually in trees and on buildings above the machines, but it's quite predictable that birds congregate in such areas (used to be starlings but they seem to have become quite rare now) and so it should be a consideration for the designers. Maybe recessed screens?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: June 07, 2018, 04:37:43 »

According to last nights TV news, another £200,000 of public money is to be spent on metrobust correcting some sections of the guided bus way that have been built to the wrong dimensions.
Further delay is expected before the whole system opens.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: June 07, 2018, 06:47:37 »

According to last nights TV news, another £200,000 of public money is to be spent on metrobust correcting some sections of the guided bus way that have been built to the wrong dimensions.
Further delay is expected before the whole system opens.

Not as simple as that, I was at the meeting and I'll prepare and post a L-O-N-G report when my time permits but in a nutshell, £30,000 was shaved off the guided bit as cost savings during build and then the engineers tried to blame the bus manufacturers and First Buses maintenance regime for the buses not fitting the guided bit, "scuffing", was the word used to describe the non-compliance. This seemed to confirm what my "MetroBus insider" who had previously informed me and I had previously reported on this forum, that the project promoters were blaming the depth of tread left on the bus vehicles tyres and that to remain in the tolerances of the guided bit "as built" the buses would have to have their tyres renewed after about 2500 miles. The design engineers were also blissfully unaware that the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) (Office of Road and Rail) would have have to sign off the project before it could be used by the public and thus had not involved the ORR in the project until after "hand over". "Not to worry", said the lead engineer, "the cost will be met by cost contingencies built into the budget". My words now, "F***ing H***, the projects already been reported as being £30 million over budget, years late now and your still talking of cost contingencies being built into the budget, TOSH".

My worry now is that the longest route, Hengrove to Cribbs, is to be operated by a registered charity / community interest company who currently run a few council tendered services in Bristol with frequencies of well hourly and are taking on a high frequency service on what may be the longest continuous bus route through the city !!!!

Must finish for now to drive to Lyde Green Park and Ride for my daily MetroBus ride into the Big City of Bristol.
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: June 07, 2018, 10:30:23 »

ITV West news this morning saying that over 25,000 people have used the new service in the first week !
That seems a lot of people in a first week of a new service!

I wonder how it will change once people have to start paying for the privelage?
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: June 07, 2018, 10:32:51 »

From https://travelwest.info/metrobus/metrobus-services-to-start-in-autumn-and-new-year

M2
The m2 and m3 services will be operated by First West of England.

We have recently been testing the Metrobus busway with First.  Our testing has identified a requirement for minor (20mm) adjustments to the road height at three of the bends along the 3km route. These adjustments are planned for mid-summer. This will be followed by a further round of bus testing and we are working together for the m2 service to start in Autumn this year.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: June 07, 2018, 11:25:27 »

Shows what I know - I sort of assumed that the guidewheel was attached to the body of the bus, in which case 20mm would be neither here nor there given how much the buses heave and roll on bends. (Can I just say: A tram would have given a much better ride. Just sayin.) Anyway this led me to read a Wikipedia article, and quite enlightening it was. The best bit was learning that this system is a kind of flangeway. Now I'm not going to explain why I find this term (a) very amusing, and (b) in this context extremely apposite, so I'll just move on to say that... omg it's also aka a KGB (Kerb-Guided Bus), which again seems about right given its provenance.

Anyway the guidewheels are on the suspension arm or thereabouts, so they go up and down with the wheel. So 20mm does matter.

Edit: corrected unfortunate typo
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 17:10:56 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: June 08, 2018, 11:52:19 »

BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) local news website reports that the corrections to the bus ways will cost the local taxpayers an additional £200,000. The authorities described these as fairly straightforward adjustments without mentioning the cost. They also claimed 5000 users a day while omitting to include that the service is free to users right now, presumably also being paid for by local taxpayers as First won't be doing it for free.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: June 08, 2018, 13:23:51 »

BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) local news website reports that the corrections to the bus ways will cost the local taxpayers an additional £200,000. The authorities described these as fairly straightforward adjustments without mentioning the cost. They also claimed 5000 users a day while omitting to include that the service is free to users right now, presumably also being paid for by local taxpayers as First won't be doing it for free.

I posted earlier on this thread "wait until they gotta pay". Next week will be the testing time and the real test will be IF pax are being left behind at stops as they are being at present in the morning peak inbound as I have observed.

The usage figures being quotes are also heavily distorted, by quoting users no account is being taken of persons using the free service just out of curiosity to see if there really is a Lyde Green and an Emersons Green so whilst figures are quoted the terms used are incorrect and figures quoted should in my opinion be cited as JOURNEYS as I have used the service today, inbound from Lyde Green P&R (Park and Ride) to The Centre at 06:40ish, 11:20ish Centre to Emersons Green for coffee and meet a colleague in Costa, finally Emersons Green to the P&R to drive home. 3 journeys by 1 user / person / individual so dont be taken in by those quoted figures.

WHAT the promoters of this need to get a grip with pretty damn quick too is to ensure people are not left at MetroBus calling points, bus stops to us normal folk, because the bus already has its permitted quota of standing pax. Incidentally, previously when we had an X service from where I live into Bristol, the X8, standing pax were not permitted because the service used the M32 Motorway. Why now, has there been a change in the regs in, well, the last 30 years ?

A simple short term solution, says I, would be to have a spare vehicle standing by at UWE to which pax on an inbound service, loaded to near seating capacity, travelling to Cabot Circus only would be requested to transfer to for a non-stop run, that vehicle returning to UWE empty but authorities seem delighted in being intransigent and obstructive to such short term fixes and make it weeks until shortcomings can be implemented, BUT, when it comes to a situation where an operator fails like Nippybus "all stops are pulled out" to ensure that services can continue THE VERY NEXT DAY, it makes me sick.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 63
  Print  

Jump to: