Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:35 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:11 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:41:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 63
  Print  
Author Topic: MetroBus  (Read 236419 times)
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: June 21, 2018, 18:42:35 »

I wondered about that. If you did want to go from UWE to Temple Meads for some strange reason, like catching a train, you would need to change buses or walk. There seems to be only one common bus stop, and I haven't seen anything to say you can do it on one ticket. Which you would expect from a groundbreaking integrated transport system, like what the Welsh are getting.

Why not use the UWE to Temple Meads bus from UWE to Temple Meads, the 71, I think, without changing buses and on one single ticket. The First Bus Bristol Inner Zone day ticket will give a days travel within the Inner Zone or at a slightly higher price, the Bristol Rider day ticket which permits travel on any bus operators services in the Inner Zone. At a higher price, the Bristol Outer Zone ticket covers the area from Bath to Weston-Super-Mare. down south to Wells and north to Thornbury and Chipping Sodbury with the Avon Rider ticket covering all operators services in the outer Zone. If it is still marketed, the First day ticket which permitted travel on First Group buses in the Bristol Outer Zone and First Group rail services between Bath and Weston-Super-Mare and to Bristol Parkway and Yate.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: June 21, 2018, 18:51:12 »

Hello, is there a good reason the M3 doesn't do a loop of the city centre, following the route of the M2, before heading back north? Surely a fast bus between Temple Meads and UWE would be very beneficial and well used.

I like that suggestion but not a loop, just continue to Temple Meads via Prince Street, The Grove, Redcliffe Way and the Temple Mead Gyratory returning the same way but if the higher ups decree it should be a loop then I for one would be "just content" with that.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: June 21, 2018, 21:11:35 »

Temple Meads Gyratory? That's gone the way of the Tempry Flyover.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: June 22, 2018, 16:21:14 »

Why not use the UWE to Temple Meads bus from UWE to Temple Meads, the 71, I think, without changing buses and on one single ticket. The First Bus Bristol Inner Zone day ticket will give a days travel within the Inner Zone or at a slightly higher price, the Bristol Rider day ticket which permits travel on any bus operators services in the Inner Zone. At a higher price, the Bristol Outer Zone ticket covers the area from Bath to Weston-Super-Mare. down south to Wells and north to Thornbury and Chipping Sodbury with the Avon Rider ticket covering all operators services in the outer Zone. If it is still marketed, the First day ticket which permitted travel on First Group buses in the Bristol Outer Zone and First Group rail services between Bath and Weston-Super-Mare and to Bristol Parkway and Yate.

But that makes it look as though MetroBust is nothing more than three stand-alone bus routes.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: June 23, 2018, 18:56:19 »

Went out cycling with one of the offspring this afternoon, and stumbled upon the South Glos Link Road. For the benefit of anyone who is still under the misapprehension that JustaBus is some sort of guided busway, I attach a photo of this. It is astonishingly wide; perhaps the best thing you could say about it is that you could squeeze a couple of tram tracks up the middle of if and hardly notice.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: June 23, 2018, 19:23:17 »

Went out cycling with one of the offspring this afternoon, and stumbled upon the South Glos Link Road. For the benefit of anyone who is still under the misapprehension that JustaBus is some sort of guided busway, I attach a photo of this. It is astonishingly wide; perhaps the best thing you could say about it is that you could squeeze a couple of tram tracks up the middle of if and hardly notice.

Well you did photograph it where it widens out for the junction.  I am not sure you could squeeze tram tracks further up the hill (especially where it crosses the railway) unless you make it a single track road!

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: June 23, 2018, 20:38:59 »

Ah, well we didn't go that far - Squirrel Jr was complaining about hills. The section from Hambrook Lane to Filton Rd is what I'm talking about, something like 850m of road, which seems like more than a junction fanout.

Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: June 24, 2018, 23:07:46 »

I believe that the rough history of that bit of road was:
- Yeah, so we're going to build this link road for buses, cycles, but it's not going to be car-friendly and we only really want to build it so the impoverished folk of south Bristol can access employment, and the environmental impact will be minimal
- (the road is built as a car-friendly bit of ring-road, and jolly useful for the wealthy of Bristol to get to the airport faster)
- Ah, we're not quite ready to run MetroBus on that stretch of road yet (the reality being that First want a subsidy to run on it)
- To make that stretch of the MetroBus economically viable we're going to allow a few thousand houses to be built
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: June 25, 2018, 09:12:39 »

Ah, now I think you're talking about the South Bristol Link Road, but I can see why you might get confused - there are gestational similarities. I was talking about the South Glos Link Road, or, as Google Maps has it now I see, the Stoke Gifford Bypass.

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: June 25, 2018, 09:44:33 »

Stoke Gifford bypass is probably a more sensible name for it. Unless it's actually a Bradley Stoke bypass, or maybe a Little Stoke bypass.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: June 25, 2018, 13:20:16 »

The Bristol Parkway Bypass,if you ask me.😎
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: June 25, 2018, 14:07:31 »

Ah, reminds of Muir and Norden's sketch. To paraphrase, probably quite badly: Time has passed old Stoke Gifford by, and so shall we.

johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: June 25, 2018, 14:09:56 »

After the 'free' travel period where Metrobust and BCC» (Bristol City Council - about) where publicly and loudly announcing high usage figures on the newly opened route, they seem to have gone very quiet on the figures now that passengers and not local taxpayers are paying for the tickets. Have I missed any announcements? I've tried to keep my ears and eyes open but to no avail so far.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: June 25, 2018, 18:01:22 »

In one of the necks of the woods most affected by the MetroBust construction, around Frenchay Park Road, opinion is divided. There are some with warm words of praise, usually those living close to a stop, and those others who are worried that their existing bus service may be unfavourably affected should MetroBust soak up the passengers.
Someone who works at the Science Park was heard to say he had been waiting for MetroBust for 4 years. Now, ignoring the fact that the rest of us waited for much longer, I had always thought that the folks at the Science Park wore white coats, had mad hair, skin that never sees sunlight, and were working on trips to Mars, cures for all known illnesses, and a clockwork TV set. If they get so excited by a new bus route, I may have overestimated them.

Now, please!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 25, 2018, 21:14:13 »

Stoke Gifford bypass is probably a more sensible name for it. Unless it's actually a Bradley Stoke bypass, or maybe a Little Stoke bypass.

Its official name is Stoke Gifford Transport Link. Its planning application was PT14/0600/R3F (after an initial one in 2013) - that's useful to answer questions about the road layout, since Google haven't had a lad with a phone lurking overhead for a year.

I'm sure Red Squirrel knows why it's so wide really - bus lanes! Plus, there's the rules, about things like central reservations, footpaths, etc. Bus lanes are now easier to see since the late design change to a red surface, but they only use that where it is right beside another lane. Where there is a little bit of hatching in between, the surface reverts to black/grey/road coloured.

What looks like an extravagant swelling of the central hatchery on the run up from Ham Brook to Oxleigh Way is there to push the bus lane plus southbound lane aside to make room for a right-turn lane and two non-refuges (pedestrians being unwelcome on them). Them's the rules, apparently. What isn't obvious is why there are two bus lanes running through the junction at Hambrook Lane (a bridge at grade, in that all lanes of all roads have "ahead only" written on them) but the bus lane stops being exclusive before the junction with Oxleigh Way. 

If they are applying rules about cycle provision I can't fathom what they are. I mean, is the half-width green-painted lane from the bus stop towards Filton Road for cycles? It widens slowly and turns into a (red) bus lane, so ...
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 63
  Print  

Jump to: