I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:15 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:24:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 63
  Print  
Author Topic: MetroBus  (Read 236475 times)
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: August 02, 2018, 15:37:17 »

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=17049.msg242578#msg242578

Opening date for route M2 revealed in my post above so not so EXCLUSIVE as BristolLive claim.
Pavement

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: August 02, 2018, 18:32:23 »

Some footage of a bus negotiating the guideway:
https://youtu.be/PF9TqQOxw7o
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: August 02, 2018, 19:14:03 »

M2 timetable now up on travelinesw website (http://www.travelinesw.com). No Sunday services for shoppers, is this still the parish council of north somerset still being obstinate and still refusing to remove the covenant that prevents the LA P&R (Park and Ride) being used on Sundays, one plus though. later services together with the busway will allow football and rugby fans to park there and travel to Ashton Gate and return to their cars after matches by Metrobus. One thing that puzzles me, will the P&R still be locked up after services cease daily or is that a thing of the past which will allow fans to park up there on a Sunday and walk along the busway to / from  the Ashton Gate encounter.
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: August 03, 2018, 12:24:13 »

M2 timetable now up on travelinesw website (http://www.travelinesw.com). No Sunday services for shoppers, is this still the parish council of north somerset still being obstinate and still refusing to remove the covenant that prevents the LA P&R (Park and Ride) being used on Sundays, one plus though. later services together with the busway will allow football and rugby fans to park there and travel to Ashton Gate and return to their cars after matches by Metrobus. One thing that puzzles me, will the P&R still be locked up after services cease daily or is that a thing of the past which will allow fans to park up there on a Sunday and walk along the busway to / from  the Ashton Gate encounter.

The big problem with letting us use the P&R for Ashton Gate, is it is deemed unsafe to walk due to the lack of lighting !
The fact that people have parked on the grass verges for decades seems to have been bypassed
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: August 03, 2018, 12:39:11 »

Apologies for what is probably such an obvious question, but I thought the M2 service was supposed to go to Temple Meads?

Just looking at the new timetable (as linked above) but only shows service going to St Mary Redclife
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: August 03, 2018, 12:46:49 »

It loops round the central area, and one of the stops claims to be at Temple Meads on the basis that with a ladder and some glasses you can see Temple Meads from there (if it wasn't for the houses in between). With a stout pair of walking boots you can walk from the stop to the station in less than 10 minutes - or you could get a cab.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: August 03, 2018, 14:10:38 »

"With a ladder and some glasses
You could see St Philip's Marshes
If it wasn't for the station in between."

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: August 03, 2018, 17:38:22 »

Apologies for what is probably such an obvious question, but I thought the M2 service was supposed to go to Temple Meads?

Just looking at the new timetable (as linked above) but only shows service going to St Mary Redcliffe

This is down to the clowns running this MetroBus project, if it runs within a mile of a "desired to serve" location then the stop is named as the "desired location".  I pointed this out when the stop in Lewins Mead was adorned with the I-point naming the stop as Broadmead when the stop is actually half a mile from Broadmead, in Lewins Mead outside the Premier Inn in Lewins Mead and opposite the Evans Cycle Emporium in Lewins Mead and the First Bus m3 timetable booklet refers to the stop as, yes, Lewins Mead.

Today the BristolLive website is reporting that the m2 should not be used by football and rugby fans going to Ashton Gate as they don't have enough buses to run the route even though there is a MetroBus stop at Ashton Gate for the fans that are anticipated will want to use the m2 to get to the matches.

Another fact that I noted today and can confirm that contractors are still faffing about with the Stoke Park I-point plinth (outbound) so passengers boarding there have no option other than buy their ticket on the bus unless they use m-tickets or the Travelwest travel card (Bristols part answer to Londons' Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) card).
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: August 03, 2018, 23:15:14 »

Just looking at the new timetable (as linked above) but only shows service going to St Mary Redclife

It's no less obvious than anything else to do with MetroBust. It goes from somewhere near Temple Meads to somewhere near Ashton Gate. There will be one every 20 minutes, which will also serve the park and ride, if it can get past the hordes of football fans walking down the busway.

You would probably have a shorter walk from Temple Meads if you catch a train to Parson Street. First recommends taking the ABus shuttle from Temple Meads, which they say will be faster than using the new £60 million bus route. Speaks volumes...

Now, please!
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: August 09, 2018, 10:32:49 »

Local bus operator First Bristol will start operating the new m2 metrobus service from Monday 3 September.

The m2 service will run between Long Ashton Park & Ride and the City Centre serving Ashton Gate Stadium, SS Great Britain, Wapping Wharf, Temple Meads Station and Cabot Circus. It replaces the current 903 service between Long Ashton P&R (Park and Ride) and the city centre, which is operated under contract to Bristol City Council.

On Mondays to Saturdays the m2 Service will run from 6am, with the last bus leaving the Long Ashton Park & Ride at 9.30pm. During peak times it will operate every 10 minutes, every 12 minutes during the off-peak, and three times per hour after 7pm. On Saturdays the service operates every 12 minutes between 10am and 6pm, and three times hourly at other times.

A key benefit for all passengers, including current 903 users, is that all of First’s wide range of day, season and group tickets will be accepted on the m2, allowing through travel onto other services.

In the first two weeks of service, First will be offering m2 customers discounted travel with a promotional m2 week ticket for just £10, which is a 41% discount compared to a normal £17 FirstWeek ticket.

The m2 uses a guided busway for part of its route which allows services to avoid the often congested Brunel Way and Cumberland Basin.

New Sunday and night time service for m3...

Bus users using the premium m3 metrobus service between Lyde Green Park and Ride and the City Centre will be able to catch this quality service seven days a week.

Following the successful launch of the UK (United Kingdom)’s first buy-before-you-board service outside London, m3 operator First Bristol is expanding the existing Monday to Saturday timetable to include a Sunday service running half-hourly between 9am and 7pm. The new timetable starts from Sunday 16 September.

From the same date, the m3 will also provide evening and night journeys between 9pm and 4am on Mondays to Saturdays between The Centre and the University of the West of England (UWE), and on weekdays an additional U3 University service will mean that a frequent service will be provided between UWE and the city centre.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: August 09, 2018, 11:25:46 »

So we have a gold standard service between Bristol City Centre and UWE.

Now, please!
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #566 on: August 09, 2018, 11:33:38 »

Shame that the m1 service is so late, two years from the initial estimate. It would be have been a great help with NR» (Network Rail - home page)|GWR (Great Western Railway) shutting Parkway for three weeks next month.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: August 09, 2018, 11:46:54 »

...the UK (United Kingdom)’s first buy-before-you-board service outside London...

I presume you're quoting a press release here, but I'm intrigued by this statement. 'Buy-before-you-board' implies that they're talking about some sort of transport service, but plainly there are other such services outside London e.g. Nottingham trams. So do they mean it's the first buy-before-you-board bus service? Is that true?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: August 09, 2018, 12:00:58 »

I think you are right to think it is the first buy before you board bus service. Given the number of press releases over the years, from Metrobus, they have nearly always contained a fair few erroneous claims !
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: August 09, 2018, 12:26:58 »

But London buses are not buy-before-you-board. They are pay on entry. In fact I don't think you can buy a ticket for a London bus before you board – or even after boarding, as no such ticket exists.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 63
  Print  

Jump to: