Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:28 Plymouth to Gunnislake
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:34:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 63
  Print  
Author Topic: MetroBus  (Read 236423 times)
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: September 19, 2018, 18:47:14 »

Finest Universal Cleanser Known was the response I believe. Could almost say the same about Metrobust !
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: September 19, 2018, 20:57:44 »

Arguably this FW song is also relevant to this topic: https://youtu.be/G0-OO7eWGX0

I used to really like Fred Wedlock - even saw him live once - but I'm not sure he's quite stood the test of time...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #647 on: September 19, 2018, 21:29:15 »

Fred was great - West Country, through and through.  He had a song about the Harry Brown - remember her?

I saw him live once, down in Somerset: "Do you know, the number of people who think the M5 is cobblestones beyond Taunton ... ?"

CfN.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: September 20, 2018, 10:24:57 »

Arguably this FW song is also relevant to this topic: https://youtu.be/G0-OO7eWGX0

I used to really like Fred Wedlock - even saw him live once - but I'm not sure he's quite stood the test of time...

#MeToo

I remember him telling about his neighbour, the Major, who fought with Montgomery and Eisenhower. Didn't get on with anybody.

He would have had fun with #MetroBust. but you're right, he didn't quite stand the test of time. Pneumonia, IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly).

Now, please!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #649 on: October 02, 2018, 08:53:20 »

Caught sight of the latest Justabus service yesterday mid afternoon round the back of Gaol Ferry Steps. The one I saw was carrying an axle busting 2 passengers but the service seems a little more frequent than the Lyde Green one. Must say, those guided section attachments on the front look a bit flimsy but we shall just have to rely on that they know what they are doing....... ah, I see a possible stumbling block now.
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #650 on: October 02, 2018, 09:41:34 »

Why is the M1 route so late?

Why could they not run for a trial period with normal buses whilst Bristol Parkway is shut, and later when Filton Abbey Wood shuts for three weeks?
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: October 04, 2018, 18:02:19 »

Why could they not run for a trial period with normal buses whilst Bristol Parkway is shut, and later when Filton Abbey Wood shuts for three weeks?

What, and prove that MetroBust could serve Parkway station without millions being spent on new roads? Crazy idea.  Grin

Now, please!
welshman

View Profile
« Reply #652 on: October 04, 2018, 18:34:06 »

And now there's this
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: October 04, 2018, 18:34:38 »

1. The buses are probably still in kit form at the bus builders.

2. I did hear that there were problems with the power units which are bio-gas fueled.

3. The re-fueling facility at the depot of the appointed operator is still being installed.

I did enquire about the range of the vehicles to be used on this route as the "POO BUS" demonstrator run on the appropriately numbered route number 2 a couple of years ago could only operate about 4 round trips on that route before having to re-fuel for which it had to travel to the Avonmouth sewage works where the gas fuel was collected and purified.

I was told that they would be able to cover a normal days duty on one fueling, I have my doubts !
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: October 04, 2018, 19:06:17 »

What, and prove that MetroBust could serve Parkway station without millions being spent on new roads? Crazy idea.  Grin

I have posted on this forum before that the RRB (Rail Replacement Bus) are using the back entrance/exit to the Parkway station complex with no problems during all the recent rail closures of Parkway and also the constructed MetroBus route over the Stoke Gifford Link Road which is also open to other traffic too.

The trouble is the people that hold the power are BLIND.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: October 05, 2018, 10:09:58 »

This post may not really be on the right thread but here goes.

The current Lord Mayor of Bristol has suggested that the council buy her a Tesla electric car for her travel to and from her civic duties.

I suggest the council give her a Travelwest contactless travelcard for her to use on MetroBus and the cities other bus services to travel to and from her civic duties and then she will see what the citizens of Bristol have to endure in their daily lives with late running buses, buses terminating short due to the drivers being out of hours all because both councillors and council officers have in the past decades failed to come to grips with the city's traffic problems.

Many of these traffic problems can be alleviated with short quick fixes, but no, they must be put into schemes and properly budgeted for and if the councillors do not agree the schemes are dropped and the traffic situation continues to get worse.  Instead the council are spending money on consultations on how we citizens would consider solving todays problems by the year 2032. FW have I and other frustrated commuters have to wait 14 years just to remove 2 car parking spaces at the top end of Colston Street and paint 2 yellow lines where those spaces are so as the bus drivers can make an impeded journey into Colston Street from the hospitals direction without having to wait until a courteous driver half way down Colston Street flashes their headlights to indicate to the bus driver that they'll wait there for the bus to pass through.

I've shown councillors piccys on my phone of the problem and their stock answer is that they know all about the problem. For how long I ask, why hasn't anything been done about it then. The answer, it has to go forward and be put in a scheme. Oh, here we go again, into another round circle.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: October 05, 2018, 10:52:50 »

The current Lord Mayor of Bristol has suggested that the council buy her a Tesla electric car for her travel to and from her civic duties.

Can't blame her for trying; I'm told they are rather nice and they befit her ancient office. It's the Mayor and the Super Mayor that I would force to endure the local public transport, what for want of a better word I shall call, system.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: October 05, 2018, 12:53:29 »

In days gone by the Lord Mayor of Bristol used to be driven about on Ceremonial duties in AE1 which for as long as I can remember was A Daimler Limousine,and very nice it was as well,then in the late 90s this was changed to a Ford Granada Scorpio,these days they use some non discript Vauxhall which when I was last at city hall (the council house)
a couple of weeks ago was in a dreadful state ,and looked like it had not seen a bucket and sponge for months ,lack of Civic Pride !.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: October 05, 2018, 13:29:05 »

Maybe less civic pride but using one of BCC» (Bristol City Council - about)'s fleet vehicles is surely better on cost grounds. Then again, if looking at costs, is the office of Lord Mayor actually necessary? How many times has Bristol's Lord Mayor exercised his or her one and only political function - that of a casting vote? Does city promotion and welcoming Brenda or her clan  really require a berobed non-elected ceremonial dignitary?

As regards a vehicle for him/her if it is necessary. There's a huge fleet of vehicles owned by the city council, 456 of them - cars, MPVs, vans, minibuses. Just use any spare vehicle when required. One dedicated vehicle used infrequently is somewhat profligate.

There are hybrids, electrics and LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas) vehicles in said fleet. The current Lord Mayor is a Green Party member. I can perfectly understand if she chooses not to use a dedicated gas-guzzling vehicle.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: October 05, 2018, 16:08:49 »

The Lord Mayor is elected in the same way as other city councillors and then elected from their number by the councillors, so in fact twice elected. By tradition and/or convention he or she doesn't cast a vote. But when my son was at primary school, he sang in a carol concert (or something, I've forgotten exactly what) in St Stephen's church, at which the LM (London Midland - recent franchise) was present in all his robes and chain and looking very splendid for the kids.

As for LM's vehicle, as the present LM is a Green, I'd have thought she could reject any form of car and go for a Mayoral bicycle or maybe a rickshaw?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 63
  Print  

Jump to: