Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:35 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:37:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 63
  Print  
Author Topic: MetroBus  (Read 236456 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #780 on: December 03, 2018, 20:25:14 »

The majority of buses, by a long chalk, went to ECW in Lowestoft. Lorry cabs were built by Longwell Green Coachworks, however.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #781 on: December 07, 2018, 21:44:58 »

In Bristol today a driver of the poor half brother service to the M3, the U3, showed me mobile piccy of two brand new vehicles for the M1 route which were delivered yesterday. I don't know if one of the two was the one I reported earlier this week had arrived at the Avonmouths premises of SCANIA. The driver said to me, imagine these buses travelling through Hartcliffe and Knowle West, they'll be trashed within a few days. He asked if I'd heard that an I-Point had been trashed in Hartcliffe within 20 minutes of the contractor leaving the site after installing it.

I am told that the West of England Zone ticket is now available to be purchased at an I-Point but when I checked with my TravelWest card at approx 15:00 it wasn't available but it was available to be purchased on a ticket machine on a U3 service at £6 which is the buy before you board price, buy on the bus is £7 according to the literature but maybe they were playing safe and allowing the buy before you board price cos you couldn't buy that product at the I-Points, I shall see tomorrow.

Grahame, if you are reading this, DR has to have an op on Monday at St. Thomas's in London and I wished him well when I spoke to him earlier this evening and I know those members of this forum who are acquainted with him would wish him well too.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #782 on: December 07, 2018, 21:52:24 »

Grahame, if you are reading this ...

... yes and following up in "And Also" ... 

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=20808.0

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #783 on: December 09, 2018, 17:02:44 »

There's a stretch of cycle path that runs alongside the MetroBus route between Brunel Way and the Ashton Swingbridge, which I just happened to be cycling along this afternoon when an A1 bus passed me heading for town. It slowed down, as it must, to engage its little wheels on the guideway, and from then on I was easily able to keep pace with it - until it got to the end of the guideway, when it sped off.

Did I miss a memo? I thought the point of the guideway was that it made the buses faster, not slower...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #784 on: December 09, 2018, 17:19:54 »

Admit it, you just wanted to boast about your thighs of Hoy.  Shocked Wink

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #785 on: December 09, 2018, 22:37:59 »

There's a stretch of cycle path that runs alongside the MetroBus route between Brunel Way and the Ashton Swingbridge, which I just happened to be cycling along this afternoon when an A1 bus passed me heading for town. It slowed down, as it must, to engage its little wheels on the guideway, and from then on I was easily able to keep pace with it - until it got to the end of the guideway, when it sped off.

Did I miss a memo? I thought the point of the guideway was that it made the buses faster, not slower...

You're so funny...  Grin

Now, please!
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #786 on: December 10, 2018, 09:23:08 »

Admit it, you just wanted to boast about your thighs of Hoy.  Shocked Wink

Not to mention the calves of Man if you were an island lover.
dhassell

View Profile
« Reply #787 on: December 11, 2018, 18:23:27 »

The speed limit on the guided section is 30mph afaik. The buses should be able to enter/exit guided sections at this speed... but the drivers seem to have a habit of slowing right up to enter/exit each tiny section of guided busway... Think it varies driver to driver, as I've had some not even touch the brakes, others bring the speed right down to a few mph. Not sure what they are instructed to do.

Using the Cambridge Guided Busway manual as an example, "The maximum mandatory speed of approach and entry to any
guideway section is 30 mph (48 kph)."

Here is the link for the Cambridgshire Guided Busway 'operations handbook' for those interested.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/424906/response/1024493/attach/4/FOI%208129%20APP1%20CGB%20Operations%20Handbook%20v1.10.1.pdf
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #788 on: December 12, 2018, 09:55:27 »

Think it varies driver to driver, as I've had some not even touch the brakes, others bring the speed right down to a few mph.

I wonder how many of them slow right down as they are worried about damaging the rails etc?
It is still amazing how many times a bus drives into a kerb when pulling into a stop - would imagine the cost of replacing damaged kit is part of the concern
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #789 on: December 12, 2018, 10:13:34 »

To those who know DR, I have spoken to him this morning. He sounded fine, op went well, he's in London today for checks and he faces further treatment and tests.

I told him that at the moment his health is more important to him than bus passengers, to which, being DR, he added' "and train passengers".

Speedy recovery DR.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #790 on: December 12, 2018, 16:52:54 »

Think it varies driver to driver, as I've had some not even touch the brakes, others bring the speed right down to a few mph.

I've had one trip to the airport where the driver drove straight through at a constant speed, and got it absolutely perfect. The other drivers I have had experience of have slowed down, save one, who gave us rather a jolt.

Now, please!
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #791 on: December 12, 2018, 22:11:02 »

Seen a copy of new m3 timetable to be operated from 06.01.2019.

5 inbound morning peak services Hambrook - Cabot Circus and 7 outbound afternoon peak services Cabot Circus - Hambrook will operate directly between these locations, i.e.will not operate via UWE and the route designation will be m3x for these services.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 08:47:52 by martyjon » Logged
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #792 on: December 13, 2018, 10:19:33 »

Seen a copy of new m3 timetable to be operated from 06.012.2019.

5 inbound morning peak services Hambrook - Cabot Circus and 7 outbound afternoon peak services Cabot Circus - Hambrook will operate directly between these locations, i.e.will not operate via UWE and the route designation will be m3x for these services.

That makes perfect sense, except that it will be an express express service, which I thought was expressly forbidden.

Now, please!
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #793 on: December 13, 2018, 12:11:45 »

Seen a copy of new m3 timetable to be operated from 06.012.2019.

That makes perfect sense, except that it will be an express express service, which I thought was expressly forbidden.

When m3 started I made a comment to (useless) officials that I can see no reason reason why the m3 didn't go straight down the M32, UWE could be covered by the 19/19A by using the Hambrook stops in both directions as an interchange point. In them early days prospective passengers for the m3 at the Stoke Lane and Begbrook stops were being denied boarding cos students were filling up the service at UWE to travel into the City Centre. The (useless) officials denied this was possible because they (metrobus) had a contract with UWE to provide a regular fast service to the city centre from the UWE transport hub.

Come last September when it was these embarrassed (useless) officials that realised (privately) that their computer model had got it wrong and the U3 service was introduced operating only between the city centre and UWE but not able to operate via the bus only M32 links. From my observations, the U3 would amply cover its running costs with the volume of student travel alone and its only the student travel usage of the m3 that keeps this service on its 20 minute interval service throughout the day. It would be interesting to see passenger loadings on the m3 between Emersons Green and UWE in both directions outside of the peak hours but I don't think the relevant bodies will put a casual observer (usually a retired person) on the route to accurately record actual numbers using the service and give us council taxpayers exactly how much 'fresh air' is being carried between Emersons Green and UWE off peak, must be in the greater than 90% figure.

A recent conversation I had with a person of another political persuasion to mine used an expression which intrigued me, "the council gives First Bus a sum of money for 'unspecified support'". The conversation also revealed that this 'unspecified support' is in addition to the support which we see on the printed First Bus timetables footnotes as 'This service operates with financial assistance from Xxxx Council' and is usually attached to a routes early morning / late evening and Sunday services.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 12:22:05 by martyjon » Logged
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #794 on: December 13, 2018, 12:22:26 »

For 'unspecified support' read 'b****r all' Roll Eyes
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 63
  Print  

Jump to: