Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:35 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:42:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 63
  Print  
Author Topic: MetroBus  (Read 236410 times)
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #795 on: December 13, 2018, 12:33:26 »

For 'unspecified support' read 'b****r all' Roll Eyes

It was explained to me as being to provide (limited) bus services on a Bank Holiday, or is it, err, a Public Holiday, no it isn't, umm, its a National Holiday.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #796 on: December 13, 2018, 17:08:28 »

[Come last September when it was these embarrassed (useless) officials that realised (privately) that their computer model had got it wrong and the U3 service was introduced operating only between the city centre and UWE but not able to operate via the bus only M32 links. From my observations, the U3 would amply cover its running costs with the volume of student travel alone and its only the student travel usage of the m3 that keeps this service on its 20 minute interval service throughout the day. It would be interesting to see passenger loadings on the m3 between Emersons Green and UWE in both directions outside of the peak hours but I don't think the relevant bodies will put a casual observer (usually a retired person) on the route to accurately record actual numbers using the service and give us council taxpayers exactly how much 'fresh air' is being carried between Emersons Green and UWE off peak, must be in the greater than 90% figure.

If they didn't see this one coming, they are dafter than I thought. What student, given the choice of a ride to town in a brand new bus that goes over the bus only bridge and doesn't stop at Begbrook would choose instead to ride on a 15-year old bus, going the long way round?

As for studies of usage, that won't be so straightforward now it's all one fare. It will need someone on board to count. I know that the issue of buses not stopping at Begbrook has been the subject of correspondence with the local MP (Member of Parliament) as the councillors weren't getting very far.

Edit: The new timetable confirms that the M3X will be non-stop from Hambrook to Cabot Circus. A bit like the X48 service that was scrapped when MetroBust kicked off. Plus ca change, eh? This hasn't gone down well in the area around the Stoke Park and Begbrook stops.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 23:13:49 by Tony (Formerly FT, N!) » Logged

Now, please!
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #797 on: December 14, 2018, 07:54:42 »

With this modified route, how do students who live in the Emerson Green area get to UWE at peak time?
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #798 on: December 14, 2018, 08:42:09 »

Alternate services run direct and via UWE

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #799 on: December 14, 2018, 10:07:49 »

I know that the issue of buses not stopping at Begbrook has been the subject of correspondence with the local MP (Member of Parliament) as the councillors weren't getting very far.

The issue there was that the buses were full hence the introduction of the U3 last September to reduce the loadings from / to UWE on the m3..

.... This hasn't gone down well in the area around the Stoke Park and Begbrook stops.

But Stoke Park and Begbrook will have the m1 service from January at a service frequency of every 10 minutes from 06:00 until midnight, no reason to grumble at that.

With this modified route, how do students who live in the Emerson Green area get to UWE at peak time?

Either interchange with the 19/19A at Hambrook or travel on a peak time m3 which will still serve UWE.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #800 on: December 14, 2018, 12:37:50 »

For the sake of completeness, the forthcoming M1 timetable is here. This is the one I think will be most problematic. It has the longest route, rather convoluted, the majority of which is on ordinary roads. With a 10-minute frequency, I think we will see them running in twos and threes before long. One hour 25 minutes for the peak-time journey end to end seems unlikely.
Unlike the others, it at least stops by a railway station, even if it is only Parson Street.

Now, please!
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #801 on: December 14, 2018, 15:32:01 »

I hope they split route from M1 to M1 and M4 with both M1/M4 looping the city centre and heading back north|south.

This will at least reduce the chance of buses being stuck at one place effecting the whole north|south route.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #802 on: December 14, 2018, 16:14:36 »

I hope they split route from M1 to M1 and M4 with both M1/M4 looping the city centre and heading back north|south.

This will at least reduce the chance of buses being stuck at one place effecting the whole north|south route.

You got little hope of that happening. It would be just a little TOO much egg on their faces of the arrogant team behind the metrobus project to do that. The team have already had to 'accept defeat' on the m3 but are actually claiming 'customer request' in running some peak hour morning journeys non-stop between Hambrook and Cabot Circus and some peak hour afternoon / evening journeys non-stop and between Cabot Circus and Hambrook rather than accept the move was as a result of 'passenger disgruntlement'.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #803 on: December 14, 2018, 16:32:30 »

Donkeys live a long time. None of you has ever seen a dead donkey.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #804 on: December 14, 2018, 17:34:21 »

As a dog returns to his vomit, so a fool repeats his folly, or so I understand. I said some time ago that the answer to the problems caused by having bus services running over long routes through the Centre was unlikely to be found by starting new bus services running over long routes through the centre. The revised layout of the Centre has helped, but there are still too many pinch-points, especially south of the New Cut.

Now, please!
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #805 on: December 18, 2018, 15:01:41 »

Any members of this forum up for a freebie, Metrobus route m1 commences Sunday January 6th 2019 and its free travel on that date too AND brand new CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) powered buses to travel on as well.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #806 on: December 18, 2018, 17:38:54 »

... brand new CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) powered buses to travel on as well.

What's a Congleton powered bus?  Or have I completely missed a definition somewhere?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #807 on: December 18, 2018, 17:41:25 »

CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) /= Compressed Natural Gas.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #808 on: December 18, 2018, 18:18:26 »

Any members of this forum up for a freebie, Metrobus route m1 commences Sunday January 6th 2019 and its free travel on that date too AND brand new CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) powered buses to travel on as well.

I will if I'm in Bristol. It will beinteresting to see how close to the projected timetable the bus can make it on a Sunday.

Edit: I think I will be between Oxfordshire and Bristol part of the day, then heading back to Devon to start packing. Keep me posted!

CNG /= Compressed Natural Gas.

Duly added to the Acronyms / Abbreviations page.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 18:36:46 by Tony (Formerly FT, N!) » Logged

Now, please!
dhassell

View Profile
« Reply #809 on: December 18, 2018, 18:45:37 »

CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) /= Compressed Natural Gas.

One of the many reasons M1 was delayed was because they had to fit special CNG tanks to the BCT Group depot in Bedminster, beforehand only First's Lawrence Hill depot had the correct kit for the job.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 63
  Print  

Jump to: