14:23 Swansea to London Paddington
14:48 London Paddington to Swansea
15:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Shrub Hill
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 16:13:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[56] Signage - not making it easy ...
[28] IETs at Melksham
[25] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[23] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[22] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fire on train near Twyford - 18 May 2016  (Read 13767 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2016, 19:56:46 »

And I suppose how you define 'fire'. Ladbroke Grove fire was the result of a collision.

I'm struggling to recall any on train incidents in the last 20 years where fire was the only cause of death.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2016, 20:27:29 »

And I suppose how you define 'fire'. Ladbroke Grove fire was the result of a collision.

I'm struggling to recall any on train incidents in the last 20 years where fire was the only cause of death.

There was this one - though believed to be a suicide:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-13063549

Going back further, there was this infamous one:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taunton_sleeping_car_fire

Perhaps the fact there haven't been many serious ones is a little bit down to luck as well as modern safety practices?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2016, 21:11:39 »

And if it's luck or modern safety practices then there's no evidence for the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) stance of, "guard saved the day" or the that DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) is inherently dangerous.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2016, 22:11:52 »

I don't necessarily disagree with that, but I do think that having a guard (or other trained member of staff) on each service proves beneficial in the majority of on-train emergencies; equipment failure (like today), medical, or a more serious incident such as a derailment or collision.

In some cases it's beneficial only in an organisational sense with one person dealing with the train and the other the passengers.  Over the years I've dealt with a total failure scenario on both DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) and non DOO services and I can tell you that a drivers blood pressure is much lower when there's someone to take care of dealing with the passengers, whilst the driver assesses and deals with the fault (whilst liaising with signallers, control etc.) than when you're responsible for everything.

In other cases it could, in the right circumstances, be life saving.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2016, 22:28:14 »

One has to take the role of Devil's Advocate when it comes to countering the RMTs (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) utterances.

I've little time for that particular union. They always seem to shoot first and ask questions later.

Emergency situations are, by their very nature, unpredictable. Proven statistics that additional trained staff save lives are hard to come by. We're it proven by the HSE (Health and Safety Executive) et al that DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) is an unsafe way to operate trains then we wouldn't have it.

There's nothing wrong with the RMT wanting to protect their members jobs, but using 'safety' as the main argument is flawed.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2016, 23:13:57 »

Worth reading this RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) report
https://assets.digital.cabinet-office.gov.uk/media/547c8fe040f0b6024100016d/R072012_120523_Kentish_Town.pdf

The driver of train 1W95 was not given adequate support during the incident,
which affected his ability to manage the conditions on board the train

The whole report is very long but makes fascinating reading, with a "perfect storm" of faults beyond the capabilities of the diagnostic computers, communication difficulties, incompatible train couplers, passenger communication equipment that failed (loss of power) when it was most needed... and a train full & standing with no aircon for not far off three hours.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2016, 09:10:58 »

Not much then that another staff member might have been able to do, (except provide assurance) for those pax,.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2016, 22:56:53 »

With thanks to Trowres for posting details of the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) report on the Kentish Town incident of 26 May 2011, may I also offer a link to the discussion we had here on the Coffee Shop forum at that time, at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=9027.0  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2016, 09:43:24 »

Train looks like a 180, under frame engine units have very effective fire suppression systems and fire barrier.  I suspect most of what was seen was some smoke from the fire but majority would be the fire extinguisher discharge.

Does a "Train Guard" add any more to safety than a "Train Manager" in this type of incident? 

On some of the project work I was involved in for Canal Tunnels evacuation plan the addition of one extra member of train crew over the drive when there can be up to a 1000 passengers on board does very little to aid the evacuation process

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2016, 09:46:12 »

The train concerned was back out in service the next day, indicating it wasn't much of an incident at all, and was dealt with very swiftly.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2016, 10:07:06 »

Does a "Train Guard" add any more to safety than a "Train Manager" in this type of incident? 

Or even the GTR equivalent that they want to introduce as "On-Train Supervisors"
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2016, 11:51:42 »

I don't know if it is still the case, but when I joined FGW (First Great Western) back in the early noughties all staff were trained in train evacuation as part of their induction course. This involved a trip to SPM (St Philip's Marsh (Bristol depot)) where they had a carriage that could be filled with smoke to simulate a fire. We were trained in lateral evacuation (moving customers down the train away from the smoke), how to deal with customers in such a situation, the location of the emergency alarms and equipment, and how to safely evacuate passengers to the track side if needed. This was given to all staff, so I would expect any member of staff on board to have some idea what to do in this situation. Many staff were also trained to make emergency telephone calls - all station staff received an annual brief on this.

Train Managers/guards are safety critical staff and have two additional qualifications.

Firstly they are trained in PTS (Personal Track Safety) - Personal Track Safety. This sounds as if it ought to be mainly about how to keep yourself safe when on or about the track, and it certainly includes that. The main element though is about train protection in an emergency - knowing where and how to place detonators and track circuit clips to protect a stricken train. If a train derailed, the first duty of the driver and the guard is to inform the signaller and then protect the train, by walking down the line and placing detonators. Only then should they turn to helping customers. Incidentally, there are quite a lot of staff who have PTS certification to assist with their job. It was a two day course when I did it with a biannual competency test.

Secondly, they are of course trained in the safety critical aspects of train operation, the most obvious being train dispatch. They also must have route knowledge and traction safety training (eg, how to do a brake test on an HST (High Speed Train)). Competence managers will regularly audit their performance and they have a biannual competency exam.

I retired a few years ago, so things may have changed. But my own feelings are that it is highly desirable to have a second person on board a long distance service, primarily for customer service. However I see no need for them to be safety critical on trains that can be operated DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)). Safety training, including PTS, should be provided to all on board staff, so that they can assist in an emergency. But it should not be a requirement to have such a person on every train, all of the time.

Its time the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) joined the real world.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2016, 22:33:39 »

The train concerned was back out in service the next day, indicating it wasn't much of an incident at all, and was dealt with very swiftly.

180108 stopped tonight with fire bells ringing! 
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2016, 15:53:35 »

There was the Maidenhead incident where a fire was caused by a ruptured HST (High Speed Train) fuel tank. A passenger was killed alighting from the train onto the Up Main into the path of another train. But as you say the fire wasn't strictly the cause of death.

Re the 180 it is suggested that the incident wasn't a fire on the train as such but was caused by a polythene bottle blown from the track and caught in the engine and smouldering.  So it's Network Rail to pay GWR (Great Western Railway).
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: