No 'On This Day' events reported for 24th Apr

Train RunningShort Run
20:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 21:52:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cycle reservations - Frome to Westbury  (Read 5181 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 22, 2016, 12:08:38 »

I was approach by a worried cyclist headed out from Westbury to Frome this morning ... he's fine on his way to Frome in the mornings on a 'unit' but sometimes comes back on the HST (High Speed Train) and he's been having trouble making an online reservation - I said I would try it out for him.

It looks to me as if Bicycle reservations come up as part of the seat reservation system, but the service he wants to travel on doesn't offer seat reservations ... so what should he do?   I got this rather interesting screen which told me to click on the "bicycle space" link "on this form" but I couldn't see the link.

And, yes, I did scroll down to look for it too!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 23:34:28 »

For some reason it's not got any quota on it, if I was guessing I'd say it's possibly overlooked because it's an HST (High Speed Train) that is just doing Frome to Westbury as a timetable service, I'll ask the reservations team to take a look tomorrow.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 06:57:48 »

For some reason it's not got any quota on it, if I was guessing I'd say it's possibly overlooked because it's an HST (High Speed Train) that is just doing Frome to Westbury as a timetable service, I'll ask the reservations team to take a look tomorrow.

Many thanks ... I can't imagine that the train would be heavily booked.

More general question. If there is a train with no quota for cycles (or fully booked ?), is "Bicycle reservations available" and the rest of the text in that green box appropriate. Does the booking engine say "sorry - cycle spaces all booked" (and does it say so early enough in the booking process for cyclist to know before they add a ticket to their basket?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 10:03:37 »

The lack of reservations is intentional, although operated by an HST (High Speed Train) it is basically a West service so reservations haven't been added. I have however asked that this be looked into for the sake of consistency with the policy.

Services that do have reservations on board, will get the option on the page on your screenshot, when options are selected and you click to proceed, it will let you know if any of the options could not be met.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 10:25:05 »

The lack of reservations is intentional, although operated by an HST (High Speed Train) it is basically a West service so reservations haven't been added. I have however asked that this be looked into for the sake of consistency with the policy.

Much appreciated - from a public viewpoint it looks as if you can't get a reservation to take a cycle on this train - so it's "no cycles". I would suspect that if you turned up with a cycle the train manager would accommodate you ...

Totally agree it should be consistent for customers so they know where they stand. 

Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 11:12:41 »

So, I've had a nice chat with one of the people involved in this policy, and we're going to look at making the train "counted place" in the reservations system so that bikes can be booked on the service. I don't know how long that will take, as reservations team will have to load the relevant data into NRS. In the meantime I suggest just boarding the train as normal.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 11:58:27 »

In the meantime I suggest just boarding the train as normal.

Until you get a TM(resolve) who insists that HST (High Speed Train) operated services require a mandatory reservation. I trust TM's will be briefed.

Ollie you might like to have a further nice chat with those responsible for the policy about the 0706 NTA» (Newton Abbott - next trains)-PGN, the 2131 PGN-NTA, the 0915 RDG(resolve)-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)... Three more HST operated services that won't take cycle reservations. There could be more but it isn't my job to find the bugs in the system. That should have been done by the nice people implementing the new policy, before said policy went live.  Cheesy

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
BandHcommuter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 12:11:42 »

Coach A, where the cycle spaces are located, is not on the platform at Frome for the 2015 departure (unless the train is in reverse formation). There are rarely more than a dozen passengers boarding, maybe one or two with cycles. The train is the return working of the 1805 Paddington to Frome which I use regularly. Passengers with cycles customarily have to locate them in one of the door vestibule areas for the short journey to Westbury, so I would hope that a common sense approach would apply regarding cycle reservation enforcement.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 12:42:10 »

In the meantime I suggest just boarding the train as normal.

Until you get a TM(resolve) who insists that HST (High Speed Train) operated services require a mandatory reservation. I trust TM's will be briefed.

Ollie you might like to have a further nice chat with those responsible for the policy about the 0706 NTA» (Newton Abbott - next trains)-PGN, the 2131 PGN-NTA, the 0915 RDG(resolve)-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)... Three more HST operated services that won't take cycle reservations. There could be more but it isn't my job to find the bugs in the system. That should have been done by the nice people implementing the new policy, before said policy went live.  Cheesy

Those are known, and along with the 2015, it's being looked at in regard to best way to keep them in line with policy.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: