19/04/24 06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
19/04/24 06:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
19/04/24 07:13 Great Malvern to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 01:36:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Trainspotting Live on BBC4: July 11, 2016 - July 13, 2016
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Trainspotting Live - three part documentary on BBC4, 11 - 13 July 2016  (Read 23288 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2016, 11:12:48 »

Would that be GWR (Great Western Railway) Green perchance?
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2016, 11:57:20 »

The programmes are indeed on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) FOUR not TWO.  An on screen trail and on line programme guides confirm.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2016, 19:04:12 »

Confirmed by my programme guide (and series record set).

Now, please!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2016, 11:07:41 »

...and just for good measure there's a showing of the Titfield Thunderbolt immediately after the third and final part on Wednesday 13th.  Never tire of that film.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2016, 13:32:47 »

Daily through Wednesday 13th & not weekly.

Interesting to note the Open University are involved.

OU involvement? Blimey that guarantees beards, jackets with elbow patches, flares, sandals and cardigans to go with the binos, notebooks, anoraks and Tupperware............a veritable cornucopia!!!

(.........and I am an OU graduate so I'm allowed to say that, having watched the former on more late night OU recordings than you could shake a stick at!!!)  Grin
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2016, 09:49:44 »

Monday

Peter meets poet and rail fan Ian McMillan, challenging him to write a new poem about the iconic Flying Scotsman to images filmed by members of the public as the train went on a recent journey. Dr Hannah Fry adds mathematical insight to these incredible machines by exploring how these massive engines stay on the rails and the effect that the rail network had on timekeeping across the whole of the country.

Engineer Dick Strawbridge is in Doncaster on the trail of a workhorse of the network, the Class 66, and he also visits the National Railway Museum in York to explore how this most British of pastimes began. With spotters based across the length and breadth of the country, including resident spotter Tim Dunn in the Scottish Highlands tracking down the only steam engine working on the line during the live programme, Trainspotting Live provides a snapshot of the whole network during the hour, providing analysis and context, and revelling in this unique and wonderful world.

Tuesday
Peter is joined by Bob Gwynne, curator at the National Railway Museum, to apply his incredible knowledge of the British rail system to the live images coming in. Hannah is out and about at Didcot, working out the equations that meant that the move from steam to diesel power was inevitable. She also meets Sir Kenneth Grange, the man responsible for many design classics including the famous Intercity 125 which is this episode's focus for the spotters up and down the country. Dick Strawbridge is on the hunt for a very special example of that train in Swindon, and also meets the group trying to buy and preserve the original prototype. Tim Dunn has moved south to Carlisle to spot one of the trainspotters' favourite locomotives, the Class 37. All of this, plus a man that has collected thousands of locomotive number plates and a short film about the 'flying banana'.

Wednesday
In this final episode of the series from Didcot, Dr Hannah Fry and Peter Snow look towards the future of rail travel. Hannah explores how the timetables work and whether they can squeeze in extra capacity in the future. She also looks back to what the future could have looked like had Brunel's broad gauge track system become the standard over a hundred years ago. Engineer Dick Strawbridge meets some young volunteers who are preserving locomotives and learning the engineering techniques to keep the network running, and he is live from Clapham Junction, one of the busiest commuter rail stations in Europe. Tim Dunn is after another live rare spot, a mail train which runs cards and letters around Britain and is powered by a unique class of locomotive. He also gets to ride on a train so futuristic it isn't even on the network yet. Back at Didcot, Peter is joined by Gerry Barney, who designed the British Rail logo, something that has stayed constant through years of rail upheaval and is still a design classic today.

All linked from here
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2016, 10:52:20 »

...having watched the former on more late night OU recordings than you could shake a stick at!!!  Grin

I've not seen those in years! Shame they don't show them overnight on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) any more, mostly they were deadly boring although once in a while a memorable programme would pop up! As you correctly mention, most were presented by very wooden, bearded characters mostly wearing tweed Blazers with elbow patches...
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2016, 16:59:48 »

...having watched the former on more late night OU recordings than you could shake a stick at!!!  Grin

I've not seen those in years! Shame they don't show them overnight on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) any more, mostly they were deadly boring although once in a while a memorable programme would pop up! As you correctly mention, most were presented by very wooden, bearded characters mostly wearing tweed Blazers with elbow patches...

Fry and Laurie did it very well!!!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=1970s+open+university+lecturer&&view=detail&mid=DB6519DF8361F630A523DB6519DF8361F630A523&FORM=VRDGAR
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2016, 22:52:27 »

In case anyone noticed, and was confused, I did make a pig's ear of merging a couple of topics here and adding the details to the Coffee Shop forum calendar.  All sorted now.   Embarrassed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2016, 07:13:08 »

Fry and Laurie did it very well!!!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=1970s+open+university+lecturer&&view=detail&mid=DB6519DF8361F630A523DB6519DF8361F630A523&FORM=VRDGAR

Thank you for sharing that! I had seen it before but not for a long time.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2016, 16:53:00 »

I thought I had misheard so I replayed the moment. And Peter Snow did actually say, around 32 minutes into episode 1,

"Now back up to Doncaster, where dick spotting continues!"

Mission creep?

Now, please!
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2016, 17:00:20 »

I like spotted dick.

Especially with custard.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2016, 22:21:12 »

I was quite surprised by how unprepared everything seemed to be, unless that was part of a ploy to make it look deliberately amateurish. Peter Snow seemed to realise quite late in episode one that it may have been the same mail train at different points rather than a separate one at each station on the WCML (West Coast Main Line). We were then set the task of spotting the mail train around Stafford for the following night - a look at RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) showed the time it was due, making me think the producers didn't realise that they run to a timetable. We also had Dick Strawbridge's excited interpretation of goings-on at Doncaster:

"There's trains everywhere!!!"

I enjoyed it, all the same.

Now, please!
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2016, 23:08:37 »

It certainly is charmingly amateurish. I think some of the sound recordists might be doing their first real-life OBs too... The tweets are annoyingly banal though: "I've seen two 125s side-by-side at Paddington". I think I'll spend the next journey or two trying not to see two 125s side-by-side at Paddington.

For some reason it was quite amusing to see 43002 sitting at Swindon P3 with SW1205 showing a K route indicator and then watching it go by in the distance a few minutes later. I think it might be the first time 43002 has ventured Kemble-wards in its new colours (although I'm  sure someone will prove me wrong!)
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2016, 06:23:06 »

I enjoyed it - I will be honest I didn't give it my full attention it was on whilst I was doing something else. I'm not sure I appreciated the science bit - although I still don't understand the difference between HP and Torque!

I also enjoyed the amateurish angel but did smile at the concept of 2 HSTs (High Speed Train) side by side at Pad!

I had difficulty coping with the "roaming trainspotter", but that is just me! H reminded me of David Bellamy Smiley

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: