Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 10:41:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[132] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[52] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[51] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[32] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: SailRail to Ireland with an overnight break of journey  (Read 8941 times)
Steven

View Profile Email
« on: May 23, 2016, 19:21:07 »

Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum and hoping that someone can help me find the best ticket for my journey. 

I would like to travel from Oxford to Dublin after work on Friday the 27th of May.  I don't have to be in Dublin until lunchtime on the 28th.  The national rail journey planner lists two potential journeys leaving at 18:38 and 22:30 and arriving at 05:45 and 12:10 respectively.  The earlier journey involves catching the 02:30 ferry and the later journey has a five hour wait overnight at Birmingham New Street, neither of which I'm particularly keen on. 

What I would like to do is start on the earlier departure as far as Holyhead stay in a B&B overnight and then catch the later ferry on Saturday morning.  Both journeys have the same ticket type available, a ^43 off-peak with route HOLYHD STENA SHP, but no mention of travelling on a particular train (or ferry). 

I have tried asking if my journey would be valid with that ticket at Oxford station and Arriva trains Wales phoneline.  Oxford station thought I would have to go on the exact trains offered by the journey planner whereas Arriva thought that any departure from Oxford on the 27th would be fine with any ferry on the 28th.  Last time I used the train and ferry to Ireland (in 2010) the ticket allowed travel on any train but the ferry leg had to be reserved. 

Can anyone point me at some ticket terms and conditions that would clarify if what I want to do is valid and if so which ticket should I buy?

Thanks for your help

Steven
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 19:28:10 »

Welcome to the forum, Steven.    I've used such tickets.

They are not train specific (indeed I have varied off my recommended itinerary when a sharper connection made than should have been possible - that was on a 2015 journey). However:

Tickets are valid for 1 month only from the outward travel date.  These tickets do not permit a break in journey and are valid for point to point travel only.

Which means they do not permit you to leave the station anywhere and continue you journey later.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 19:39:53 »

I should add ... the reason it's "no break of journey is that SailRail's a special low cost deal.   The 18:38 to Dublin may cost just ^43, but the 18:38 to Holyhead's showing up online at ^103.10 and the train operating authorities realy don't want people buying Dublin tickets and not bothering to sail.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Steven

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 21:17:46 »

Thanks for your quick reply Grahame.  It is a bit disappointing that there isn't a way to do the journey with a good night's sleep.  I'll have to pack a sleeping bag and roll mat and find a quiet spot on the station for the night  Sad
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 21:26:42 »

Horrible feeling Holyhead gets locked after the 0230 saling departs....
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 22:04:11 »

This looks like a job for....Bignosemac!

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 22:23:13 »

This looks like a job for....Bignosemac!

I'll be really impressed if he comes up with a legitimate way of doing this with a break of journey for near to ^43.

Of the 4 Stena crossings a day for Oxford to Dublin
1 involves a nasty departure off Holyhead
1 has an overnight wait somewhere on the way to Holyhead
1 arrives in Dublin obnoxiously late in the evening
1 is a really nice leisurely day from breakfast time in Oxford to late afternoon in Dublin.

WSW Frome
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 17:17:41 »

Let us see if BNM can offer any clarity.

However, I can say that in the opposite direction (i.e. from Ireland) one gets issued with a standard handwritten CIV (International Convention for the transportation of Passengers) ticket form. Nobody then cares one jot when and how you travel - at least nominally within the one month validity.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 20:39:28 »

I have looked into making a similar journey, with an overnight break en-route.  The only option I came up with would be an ordinary single/return to somewhere nearish like Shrewsbury, then a SailRail for the following day.  This all worked out quite pricey, so unfortunately I ended up flying (~^20 each way plus ^15 for a return train ticket to the airport).
Steven

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 23:28:25 »

Thanks for all the replies.  I can now see why I had difficulty getting a clear answer when asking the ticket staff.  It does seem to be a bit of a grey area as to what the rules allow.  There is one journey offered by the journey planner that involves leaving the station for a connection, the 23:06 departure involves a walk from Moor Street to New Street in Birmingham.  The ^43 fare is available for that service so how does that fit with the break of journey rules?  Would the same logic apply in cases where you can't stay in the station because it is locked?

The morning departure from Oxford does sound like the most pleasant option, however I think my employer might take a dim view of me setting off after breakfast  Grin

If anyone fancies playing the split ticket game the full set of requirements are:
Leave Oxford after 16:46 (normal train home time) on the 27th
Arrive in Malahide (just north of Dublin) by 14:00 on the 28th
A decent nights sleep somewhere, at least 7 hours
I have a season ticket from Oxford to Charlbury so gold card discounts can be used

A second related question.  Is it always possible to buy on board Northern Ireland trains?  I'll be travelling onwards from Malahide to Bangor in the evening of the 28th.  The journey I'm planning on making involves a quick change in Belfast and it doesn't appear to be possible to buy tickets online for the Belfast to Bangor leg.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 00:10:58 »

Thanks for all the replies.  I can now see why I had difficulty getting a clear answer when asking the ticket staff.  It does seem to be a bit of a grey area as to what the rules allow.  There is one journey offered by the journey planner that involves leaving the station for a connection, the 23:06 departure involves a walk from Moor Street to New Street in Birmingham.  The ^43 fare is available for that service so how does that fit with the break of journey rules?  Would the same logic apply in cases where you can't stay in the station because it is locked?

Only thing I can add to the excellent advice already given, is that leaving one station to join a train at another, following a valid itinerary, is not classed as a break of journey.

I've not studied SailRail to any great extent as it's a product I've seldom used. What I do know from reading on other forums is that there are few, if any, workarounds that allow you to do anything other than the booked itinerary with the tickets. Yes, the SAILRAIL STNDBY tickets are nominally flexible walk-up tickets, but they have clear restrictions that disallow a break of journey unless it is for connection purposes.

Sadly Steven, for your proposed journey later this week, the only option that appears to be open to you is to book separate rail and ferry travel.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
WSW Frome
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 17:40:07 »

Seat61.com seems to have all the key information.

If you buy an Advance Ticket, the specific trains must be used with no stopovers.

If you buy the Single ticket then any train may be used, via any permitted route, no stopovers are allowed. Technically you have a specific ferry reservation then this must be used, if actually supplied. (on the Fishguard route no such reservations are issued - usually about 20 foot passengers!). I would have thought that a stopover could be "manufactured" at most stations, especially at off peak times.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2016, 12:08:44 »

I would stick to Seat61.com's recommendations. He knows his stuff
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2016, 12:21:58 »

I would stick to Seat61.com's recommendations. He knows his stuff

He does indeed know his stuff - but alas makes no comment (either way) with regard to stopovers.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2016, 18:05:45 »

Says to catch all specified-timed legs though. So no chance to stop overnight
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: