27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 06:08:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Avocet Line - Exeter to Exmouth - incidents and events; services, stock and related improvements  (Read 132533 times)
TJ

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 21:46:38 »

As I understand it the Avocet (Branch line from Exeter to Exmouth) line is due to be shut in December between Christmas and the New Year for track relaying in the Lympstone area, and will also be shut 10/11 & 18 January.

The relaying will obviously not solve the Topsham problem, whatever that is - I have not heard any details of what the faults were.

TJ

No replacement of the jointed track between Digby and Topsham then?

No, that will be with us for some years I believe. As I understand it the next section of track to be renewed (2010?) is from where it stops this time through to Exmouth. After that it is the Topsham station area and then the remaining section between Topsham & Exton. All work will be at weekends, week long blockades being a thing of the past. But if Network Rail gets its credit crunched, who knows what will happen!

As regards the dates for the forthcoming work I had no sooner posted the reference to December when I received confirmation that all the work will be done in January (2009), the dates being :

Saturday 3rd January
Sunday 4th January
Saturday 10th January
Sunday 11th January
Sunday 18th January

TJ
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 11:37:01 »

Such incredible planning. Saturdays at the sales in Exeter are cancelled for those of you on the Avocet (Branch line from Exeter to Exmouth) Line!!
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 18:46:37 »

As I understand it the Avocet (Branch line from Exeter to Exmouth) line is due to be shut in December between Christmas and the New Year for track relaying in the Lympstone area, and will also be shut 10/11 & 18 January.

The relaying will obviously not solve the Topsham problem, whatever that is - I have not heard any details of what the faults were.

TJ

No replacement of the jointed track between Digby and Topsham then?

At the time of the last week long shut down the rails only were replaced between Newcourt and Topsham. Brand new 95lb/yard Bullhead Rail in 60 foot lengths replaced worn out 95lb/Yard Bullhead rail in 39 foot lengths. Along with some follow up tamping to remove the dips where the rail joints had formerly been. Has improved the vertical ride but the 142's still seem to hunt horizontally at a very short period of oscillation on this bit of line.

Don't think this bit will be relaid for a year or three.

Trundling gently round the SW
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 10:57:02 »

There is some engineering work taking place on Sunday through to Thursday, by the look of it (02-06/11/2008, links below.)
http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=3013

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=3014

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2008, 13:40:31 »

Such incredible planning. Saturdays at the sales in Exeter are cancelled for those of you on the Avocet (Branch line from Exeter to Exmouth) Line!!

Nearly as good as shutting the line between Newton Abbot & Paignton during half-term week  Wink

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2008, 16:20:35 »

Nearly as good as shutting the line between Newton Abbot & Paignton during half-term week  Wink

Don't get me started on that! Tuesdays bus was full by Torquay!!
gaf71

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2008, 18:18:23 »

That will never change, has happened for years.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2009, 20:34:17 »

were exmouth trains running the 1738 didnt turn up?

devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2009, 21:11:31 »

1738 Topsham - Barnstaple ran Wink

1654 Paignton - Exmouth was cancelled though.

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2009, 21:18:07 »

i wanted to go to exmouth, i was at topsham at 1730?
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2009, 22:12:26 »

1738 to Exmouth ran.

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2009, 22:32:54 »

the clock in my van must be out unless it was delayed? i was a bit cold maybee i gave up too easy?
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2009, 22:44:36 »

On time!

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2009, 22:49:10 »

Date and Time (Original):     2009:02:06 17:50:13

that explains that
lympstone_commuter
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2009, 09:19:29 »

We've had quite a few short formed trains on the Exmouth line this week, two cars vice four, and in the peak too - *groan*.

Out of interest - does anyone know the reason for this?

Thanks.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16
  Print  

Jump to: