I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:15 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:23:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Avocet Line - Exeter to Exmouth - incidents and events; services, stock and related improvements  (Read 131654 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 19, 2015, 23:26:59 »

Christmas lights switch on was in Swindon tonight.  Only plus was the weather prevented the planned firework display.  The good news?  It stopped next door's four dogs barking endlessly in terror.   Grin
Rapidash

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 26, 2015, 17:22:04 »

Took the 0942 DIG > EXC (0923 from Exmouth)  this morning and the 2-coach service was full & standing - even after a few passengers had been asked nicely to shift their bags from seats. I don't know if this is a regular occurrence - it could have been something to do with today being Exeter's Xmas lights switch-on day - but it was good to see that GWR (Great Western Railway) had provided two guards/conductors to take care of door control etc and ticket selling/checking separately. And using the PA (Public Address) to clearly announce the next stop. Which just goes to prove that GWR can provide a decent service if they really want to.

It's pretty standard these days - it's not unusual for my usual commute (0913 out of Paignton, X2 143's) to have 3 - 5 staff aboard doing tickets and doors. Which is just as well, cause it's the first off peak all stopper, and uh, gets a wee bit full-and-standy.....
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 27, 2015, 10:15:30 »

1820 DIG > EXC and 2235 EXC > DIG last night for a BSO (Brake Standard Open (carriage)) concert at the University. Posters already in place at DIG advising complete closure of the EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) > EXM / HON routes 1st-3rd January inclusive so nobody can say they weren't forewarned. The inbound service (2 x 143) was very well loaded presumably due to the unmissable late night shopping.  Grin
For the return the best they could do was a single 153 that was running with what sounded like a fairly obvious wheel flat. Unusually (in my recent experience) the EXC gateline was unmanned; even more unusually the full onboard check revealed nobody without a ticket.
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 02, 2016, 18:47:32 »

http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/Fed-Exeter-rail-passengers-just-want-ticket/story-29211539-detail/story.html

And here is the original text:
A city councillor has intervened following complaints about the lack of ticket machine at Exeter's Polsloe Bridge rail station.

Disgruntled travellers had contacted Cllrs Peter Holland, concerned about facing a ^600 fine for not having a ^1.20 ticket.

Cllr Holland, who has now contacted Network Rail to help, said: "Frustration has been growing from commuters using Polsloe Bridge Railway Station to travel into Exeter Central.

"The route from Exmouth includes Lympstone (Marine Camp). Payment is made difficult with so many servicemen trying to pay at Exeter Central.

"People have been known to evade paying.

"The future growth and success of Network Rail is dependant upon providing travellers with a consistently high level of service, each and every time they travel.

"The opportunity exists, therefore to capture additional revenue by enhancing the ability of passengers to buy tickets.

Revenue evasion can attract a fine of ^600 for missing a ^1.20 fare.

"Clearly Network Rail needs to improve the ability of travellers to purchase tickets at stations.

"I have reported the matter to Network Rail through their web site and am awaiting a response."^

Words fail me.

(Edited by FT,N to correct fonts)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 10:12:35 by Four Track, Now! » Logged
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 02, 2016, 20:01:46 »

Would love to see Network Rail's reply!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 02, 2016, 20:13:24 »

If this is as reported, Cllr Holland has rather shown himself up there.  Roll Eyes

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Rapidash

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 04, 2016, 22:18:00 »

Bless, must be worried about the election tomorrow. I somehow doubt people will be fined for getting a ticket at Central/St Davids - it's pretty routine due to the guard being in another unit or trapped in cab due to pax numbers.

Of all the things to be worried about or be annoyed with at that station, a tvm is not high on the agenda. Extra seats, bus shelters and CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) would be more welcome.

Even if one was installed, it might not be activated - As far as I can tell, the new ones at St Thomas and Torre still arnt functioning, and they must have been there since just after Christmas.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 16, 2016, 21:30:50 »

Maybe I missed any previous discussion on the subject, but a GWR (Great Western Railway) press release today states that Sunday services will now be half hourly all year.  An excellent step forward for the branch.

https://www.gwr.com/about-us/media-centre/news/2016/may/more-trains-between-exeter-and-exmouth?

Trains will run every half hour through most of the day on Sundays throughout the year, instead of the previous hourly service; with a number extending to Exeter St Davids.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 16, 2016, 22:17:29 »

I understand the ultimate aim is to break the link between Exmouth and Barnstaple and run a half hourly service seven days a week between Exmouth and Paignton.
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 27, 2016, 10:27:55 »

I understand the ultimate aim is to break the link between Exmouth and Barnstaple and run a half hourly service seven days a week between Exmouth and Paignton.

Yes, that's right, Bob.  Barnstaple trains will run to at least Exeter Central.  Another element to this is that Barnstaple trains will be 158s and Exmouth - Paignton trains will be 150s (four coaches).   

The half hourly service Mons - Sats is nailed on but Sundays depends very much on the success of the new services just introduced over the next couple of years. 
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #205 on: May 27, 2016, 23:42:37 »

Thanks, again, for posting that encouraging confirmation regarding those improved services, Richard!  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 30, 2016, 08:51:18 »

Early check via Realtime Trains on Saturday (28/05) morning showed 2F05 PGN > EXM, which would have formed my intended 2B72 DIG > EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) sector (on my way to Twickenham), as cancelled at EXD due to late running. Apparently the outbound service to PGN was delayed getting out of Exeter depot. Full marks to GWR (Great Western Railway) for providing a replacement 2Z05 EXD > EXM service which was formed of a red 153 and the refurbished GWR Green 150247. This was my first encounter with 150247 and overall I was pretty impressed with the external paint/vinyl job & new interior. However I do think that the setup of the scrolling displays needs some attention e.g. 2B72 destined for Barnstaple but none of the request stops listed.
Interesting to note, given it was a BH weekend with additional punters heading for the beaches, the Radio1 Big Weekend & Twickenham etc., one member of staff at POL and two (female) at SJP on ticket issuing duties, although they did not appear to be checking alighting passengers (I assume that can only be done by Revenue Protection).
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #207 on: May 30, 2016, 10:12:48 »

Christian Wolmar has a comment on the success of the Avocet (Branch line from Exeter to Exmouth) Line in his column  in the latest rail Magazine. 

Says it shows what can be achieved if you run a frequent 7 day a week service.
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 30, 2016, 10:43:02 »

Early check via Realtime Trains on Saturday (28/05) morning showed 2F05 PGN > EXM, which would have formed my intended 2B72 DIG > EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) sector (on my way to Twickenham), as cancelled at EXD due to late running. Apparently the outbound service to PGN was delayed getting out of Exeter depot. Full marks to GWR (Great Western Railway) for providing a replacement 2Z05 EXD > EXM service which was formed of a red 153 and the refurbished GWR Green 150247. This was my first encounter with 150247 and overall I was pretty impressed with the external paint/vinyl job & new interior. However I do think that the setup of the scrolling displays needs some attention e.g. 2B72 destined for Barnstaple but none of the request stops listed.
Interesting to note, given it was a BH weekend with additional punters heading for the beaches, the Radio1 Big Weekend & Twickenham etc., one member of staff at POL and two (female) at SJP on ticket issuing duties, although they did not appear to be checking alighting passengers (I assume that can only be done by Revenue Protection).

Train FX (the Auto PIS (Passenger Information System)) couldn't handle request stops or short platforms!  If the train does not call at a request stop, or does at a station with local door only control, it gets lost and doesn't update until all the doors are fully armed and released again.

There was (and still is) a facility to skip stops, but the guard has to do this as the train was leaving the previous station and it could screw up.  There has been a slight software update to rectify this, but was causing so much confusion that the requests were removed.

It was also only possible to set the PIS when the train was stationary with the doors armed, else again it would screw up, but this has been rectified as well.

Eventually we may eventually get an Auto PIS that can cater for railway operations.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 25, 2016, 09:34:26 »

As noted elsewhere I travelled on 2F29, the slightly delayed 2148 EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains)>DIG, last Sunday 23/10.

The intended shape of things to come?
The service was formed of 150248, which has been given the full GWR (Great Western Railway) green refurb and equipment upgrade, & 150232 which has so far only had the bodyside repaint. My first outing on an all-green 4 coach consist and, compared to the usual Class 143 x 2 services, I think would have created a quite positive visual & ride quality impression.

How not to deliver audiovisual passenger information!
WARNING: Pedant Alert!
This obviously only applies to the new audiovisuals on 150248; my local station is called Digby & SOWton - as in the porcine female - not Sewton. Please GWR get this fixed as it sounds awful.
I would question the point of delivering the message 'Please do not attempt to leave or board the train when the doors are closing' (or words to that effect) as passengers on the platform are unlikely to hear/take any notice of it.
Passenger information 'improvements' are only that if they are relevant & accurate; if not they can just mislead, confuse & annoy. So to have '...will shortly arrive at St.James Park' displayed until immediately before departure from POL is not very clever. The previous post from Plymouthian seemed to indicate this fault had been rectified.
Could GWR consider employing somebody who has a basic grounding in correct punctuation to configure the scrolling text displays; the absence of full stops, etc. is most disconcerting. Smiley
/Pedant Alert 
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16
  Print  

Jump to: