Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:38:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Avocet Line - Exeter to Exmouth - incidents and events; services, stock and related improvements  (Read 131650 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: February 12, 2008, 10:14:32 »

Links from the FGW (First Great Western) website.
http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=2138

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=2139

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=2140

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 16:27:34 »

At least the ride will improve for pacers!

Surprised Paignton isn't up for half term, it normally is every February/October  Huh
TJ

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 01:28:32 »

The original plan was for track replacement between just beyond Digby and Polsloe Bridge but you only have to ride the line to realise that this stretch is not the worst, that accolade belongs to the length from Topsham to just beyond the Motorway bridge towards Digby, although there are a couple of other stretches which come close! On Saturday I observed that alongside the Topsham/Motorway stretch there were new 60' length rails, which presumably will be laid during the forthcoming blockade. Whether it is a simple case of re-railing (no new sleepers) or whether new sleepers and/or welding will be incorporated remains to be seen. If anyone has any more information this would be appreciated.

There is no doubt that is both stretches of track are dealt with the quality of the 142 ride on the Exmouth Branch will be greatly improved.

TJ

gaf71

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 09:38:42 »

The original plan was for track replacement between just beyond Digby and Polsloe Bridge but you only have to ride the line to realise that this stretch is not the worst, that accolade belongs to the length from Topsham to just beyond the Motorway bridge towards Digby, although there are a couple of other stretches which come close! On Saturday I observed that alongside the Topsham/Motorway stretch there were new 60' length rails, which presumably will be laid during the forthcoming blockade. Whether it is a simple case of re-railing (no new sleepers) or whether new sleepers and/or welding will be incorporated remains to be seen. If anyone has any more information this would be appreciated.

There is no doubt that is both stretches of track are dealt with the quality of the 142 ride on the Exmouth Branch will be greatly improved.

TJ

Sorry to be a bringer of bad news, but i heard at work yesterday from someone who assures me he knows about these things, that the section between Topsham and the motorway bridge is going to be replaced, but not with continuous weld rail. It's still going to be jointed, but even so the quality of ride should still improve. If this is true, seems a bit strange, after all the other track renewal on the devon branches has been with continuous weld! So lets hope my source is wrong!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 16:25:57 »

A backwards step?

I was on a refurb 150 and the ride was poor, let along a 142 which was pretty awful, perhaps improved by the fact that it was a 4 car.
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 16:52:21 »

Sorry to be a bringer of bad news, but i heard at work yesterday from someone who assures me he knows about these things, that the section between Topsham and the motorway bridge is going to be replaced, but not with continuous weld rail. It's still going to be jointed, but even so the quality of ride should still improve. If this is true, seems a bit strange, after all the other track renewal on the devon branches has been with continuous weld! So lets hope my source is wrong!

There's nothing wrong with relaying jointed track, I believe the Falmouth Branch has been relaid with jointed track, the ride is super, the important thing is to move the New Rail Joints to what would have been the Middle of the Old 60ft Rails because after years of Wheel Beats the Ballast and Ground beneath gain a memory that can go down about 20ft.

The New Jointed track CAN BE as smooth as CWR (Continuously Welded Rail).

Edit note: Quote marks fixed. CfN.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 19:47:22 by chris from nailsea » Logged
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 19:06:39 »

There's nothing wrong with relaying jointed track, I believe the Falmouth Branch has been relaid with jointed track, the ride is super, the important thing is to move the New Rail Joints to what would have been the Middle of the Old 60ft Rails because after years of Wheel Beats the Ballast and Ground beneath gain a memory that can go down about 20ft.

The New Jointed track CAN BE as smooth as CWR (Continuously Welded Rail).

They put loads of welded rail on the Falmouth last time around, sorry smokey, your mistaken!

Edit note: Quote marks fixed. CfN.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 19:49:02 by chris from nailsea » Logged
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 08:57:47 »

From the FGW (First Great Western) website :

Train services between Exeter St Davids and Exmouth have been disrupted due to a problem with line-side equipment in the Topsham area.Engineers have worked as fast as possible to restore services to normal. Short notice alterations and delays of up to 20 minutes may still occur.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 18:28:26 »

15:39 Barnstaple to Exmouth due 17:17

This train will be terminated at Exeter St Davids.It will no longer call at: Exeter Central, St James' Park, Polsloe Bridge, Digby & Sowton, Topsham, Exton, Lympstone Commando, Lympstone Village and Exmouth.This is due to a train fault.

17:20 Exmouth to Barnstaple due 19:08

This train will be started from St James' Park.It will no longer call at: Exmouth, Lympstone Village, Lympstone Commando, Exton, Topsham, Digby & Sowton and Polsloe Bridge.This is due to an earlier train fault.

Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 08:22:28 »

Train services between Exeter St Davids and Exmouth are being disrupted due to signalling problems in the Topsham area.Engineers are working as fast as possible to restore services to normal. Short notice alterations, cancellations and delays of up to 20 minutes can be expected.

06:37 Exeter St Davids to Exmouth due 07:07

This train has been terminated at St James' Park.It will no longer call at: Polsloe Bridge, Digby & Sowton, Topsham, Exton, Lympstone Commando, Lympstone Village and Exmouth.This is due to signalling problems.

07:15 Exmouth to Paignton due 08:39

This train will be started from St James' Park.It will no longer call at: Exmouth, Lympstone Village, Lympstone Commando, Exton, Topsham, Digby & Sowton and Polsloe Bridge.This is due to signalling problems.

09:18 Exeter St Davids to Exmouth due 09:45

This train will be terminated at St James' Park.It will additionally call at: St James' Park.It will no longer call at: Digby & Sowton, Topsham, Lympstone Village and Exmouth.This is due to signalling problems.

09:20 Exmouth to Newton Abbot due 10:22

This train will be started from Exeter St Davids.It will no longer call at: Exmouth, Lympstone Village, Lympstone Commando, Exton, Topsham, Digby & Sowton, Polsloe Bridge, St James' Park and Exeter Central.This is due to signalling problems.

13:43 Newton Abbot to Exmouth due 14:46

This train will be terminated at Exeter St Davids.It will no longer call at: Exeter Central, Digby & Sowton, Topsham, Lympstone Village and Exmouth.This is due to earlier signalling problems.

14:50 Exmouth to Barnstaple due 16:30

This train will be started from St James' Park.It will no longer call at: Exmouth, Lympstone Village, Lympstone Commando, Exton, Topsham, Digby & Sowton and Polsloe Bridge.This is due to earlier signalling problems.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 15:16:37 by Lee Fletcher » Logged

6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 18:53:53 »

this has happend a couple of times in this area is there any vandalism going on i chased some kids away near digby throwing stuff off the bridge, i would have called the police but they ran pretty far :-)
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 07:02:54 »

Problems continuing this morning (28/10/2008.) From the FGW (First Great Western) website :

Train services between Exeter St Davids and Exmouth are being disrupted due to signalling problems in the Topsham area.Engineers are working as fast as possible to restore services to normal. Short notice alterations and delays can be expected.

06:40 Exmouth to Exeter St Davids due 07:12
This train will be started from Topsham.It will no longer call at: Exmouth, Lympstone Village, Lympstone Commando and Exton.This is due to signalling problems.

Interestingly, the Exmouth line is the only one of the Devon & Cornwall branch lines not to be included in the current extended engineering works shutdown programme. Will that change if the problems continue further? (link below.)
http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/Content/Detail.asp?ReleaseID=3940&NewsAreaID=2&SearchCategoryID=7

TJ

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 23:48:49 »

As I understand it the Avocet (Branch line from Exeter to Exmouth) line is due to be shut in December between Christmas and the New Year for track relaying in the Lympstone area, and will also be shut 10/11 & 18 January.

The relaying will obviously not solve the Topsham problem, whatever that is - I have not heard any details of what the faults were.

TJ
signalandtelegraph
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 07:37:57 »

Track circuit failure which necessitated pilot working, it subsequently self rectified and then failed again which seemed to add to the confusion!  (In the end it was a power supply unit failure)

Bring back BR (British Rail(ways))
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 11:49:32 »

As I understand it the Avocet (Branch line from Exeter to Exmouth) line is due to be shut in December between Christmas and the New Year for track relaying in the Lympstone area, and will also be shut 10/11 & 18 January.

The relaying will obviously not solve the Topsham problem, whatever that is - I have not heard any details of what the faults were.

TJ

No replacement of the jointed track between Digby and Topsham then?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16
  Print  

Jump to: