13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
14:02 Westbury to Gloucester
15:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 14:52:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[97] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36
  Print  
Author Topic: Station and on board train announcements - merged topic, ongoing discussion  (Read 200352 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: February 07, 2008, 22:42:42 »

Agreed: scrap all the computer controlled announcements!

At Bristol Temple Meads, we already have a much better source of information - always delivered with unfailing good humour, accuracy and timeliness.  Just in the last couple of evenings, catching the 1753 to Nailsea, I've seen yet again how it can be done.

See http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=110 for further details: Wayne Spence is absolutely brilliant - he deserves a much wider audience!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 10:48:11 by Graz » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 07:21:15 »

See http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=110 for further details: Wayne Spence is absolutely brilliant - he deserves a much wider audience!
Wayne is great and does a wonderful job at BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) and is a huge credit to his company. I saw once that he was offered promotion to another part of FGW (First Great Western) but turned it down as he wanted to stay in his current job because he enjoys it so much. Good on him and I know that many passengers who use BTM appreciate Wayne.

zebedee
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 09:16:51 »

"We are very sorry for the severe delay to this service...."

No your not!  Your a computer controlled voice!!!!!!!
Topham Hatt

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 14:06:23 »

A typical letter from FGW (First Great Western) customer services gives the following definitions -

Reliability is the number of scheduled Monday to Friday trains that actually run. Punctuality is the number of Monday to Friday peak trains that arrive at their destination on time (which means within a set number of minutes of the scheduled time).
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 15:24:11 »

Bloody right there! He doesn't deserve to work for such a bad company really. He is fabulous, never seen him without a smile on his face, and he is always happy to help!

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
John R

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 20:46:22 »

I agree, Wayne is brilliant, and always smiling. I also think one of the PA (Public Address) announcers at BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) is excellent. If you know the one that says "This has been (as opposed to "is") a platform alteration this evening" then you'll know the one I mean. Clear, precise, and a joy to listen to. Another PA announcer injected some humour earlier this week, and everyone laughed. We all know it's not the staff's fault, and Wayne and the "voices" make a huge difference in keeping our spirits up. 

I also agree that a computer generated voice saying that "I am extremely sorry for the delay to your journey" is almost offensive. How can a computer be extremely sorry? And do I care if it is?       
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 21:03:08 »

"We are very sorry for the severe delay to this service ..."

Yes, have you noticed that the computer is 'very sorry' while the delay is less than (I think) 30 minutes,

"I am extremely sorry for the delay to your journey ..."

but then it suddenly becomes 'extremely sorry' as soon as the delay exceeds 30 minutes!

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 21:07:22 »

Well, the computer doesn't exactly have a 'anger level counter'...  Wink

For what the computer systems do, they're very handy - and have enabled many a station to be approved within the DDA» (Disability Discrimination Act - about) due to visual/hearing impairment rules, while not having to have the expense of staff doing manual announcements...
John R

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 21:17:03 »

Yes, I had noticed that after a while the computer becomes extremely sorry, though I hadn't worked out the exact threshold.
signalandtelegraph
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 08:48:38 »

Of course, this would also require them to keep a spare set near each terminus, and extra drivers "on standby" so that the missing return journey could be started on time at the other end (both of which they should be doing as a matter of course anyway!)

That way they would not have to cancel services due to "drivers exceeding their hours" because all they would have to do is ring up the standby guys and get them to report in.

Or is that just too simple?

Perfectly logical but not cost effective for the company and the shareholders unfortunately.  There used to be one firm that did this, went by the name of British Rail I believe and had lots of spare stock, locomotives and drivers. 

Bring back BR (British Rail(ways))
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 09:56:37 »

I accept your point, John and Jim, but sometimes such announcements are indeed made at the very last minute:

Last night I was on the (25 mins late) 15:37 from Ealing Broadway & it was only once we were actually in Reading Station waiting to pull out that they announced it would now be non-stop to Oxford.  Result - mad panic & scramble to get off before we got whisked off to Oxford (I wonder if everyone made it - anyone who was listening to a personal stereo wouldn't have had a hope!) ... .

Occasionally, too, I've experienced on board train announcements being promptly contradicted by platform announcements at Bristol Temple Meads (bloody Digital Doris again!), causing no end of confusion!   Huh

Didn't realise Doris was a regular at Temple Meads?

Thought it was that stupid woman or the excellent Phil?
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 10:07:05 »

At ex-wessex stations the voice will say "First Great Western appologises for this delay....." rather than "i'm sorry...."
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2008, 10:29:34 »

Vacman is right about ex-Wessex stations, they do say "First Great Western apologises...."

Anyone ever noticed how at Plymouth station the computer (former FGW (First Great Western) system) announces "Roche" as "WROACH".

Be then computers only work on information fed to it, hence I've heard summer Newquay services being announced as calling at Par, ST BLAZEY, GOONBARROW JUNCTION and Newquay.

Just try asking for a ticket from St Blazey to Goonbarrow Junc. Grin Grin Grin

Also for around the first year of the Wessex "Digital Doris" system No trains called (by the computer) at Bugle or Luxulyan but did call at a NEW station "BUGXULYAN"  Cheesy

I've also got a picture somewhere of the departure screens at Exeter Central showing a service calling at "...Axminster, CHARD JUNCTION, Crewkerne....."
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 10:31:56 by smokey » Logged
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2008, 10:36:41 »

Amazingly the announcement system can handle Kingswear, not even owned by NR» (Network Rail - home page)  Cheesy
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2008, 10:51:21 »

Vacman is right about ex-Wessex stations, they do say "First Great Western apologises...."

Anyone ever noticed how at Plymouth station the computer (former FGW (First Great Western) system) announces "Roche" as "WROACH".

Be then computers only work on information fed to it, hence I've heard summer Newquay services being announced as calling at Par, ST BLAZEY, GOONBARROW JUNCTION and Newquay.

Just try asking for a ticket from St Blazey to Goonbarrow Junc. Grin Grin Grin

Also for around the first year of the Wessex "Digital Doris" system No trains called (by the computer) at Bugle or Luxulyan but did call at a NEW station "BUGXULYAN"  Cheesy

I've also got a picture somewhere of the departure screens at Exeter Central showing a service calling at "...Axminster, CHARD JUNCTION, Crewkerne....."

Plymouth used to announce Roche as "rosh".
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36
  Print  

Jump to: