Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:18:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Future of services between London & Hungerford/Pewsey area?  (Read 50479 times)
Mathew

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2016, 22:39:43 »

Hi there,

My wife and I are considering relocating from London to somewhere in the area around Hungerford, Bedwyn or Pewsey. We both work in London so would plan on commuting on a daily basis. We've had a good look at the current services between Pewsey, Hungerford and other stations on that line and it seems that it's quite doable. However, before committing to anything, I figured it would be sensible to check if there is any potential for changes to the service in future.

I found a few articles suggesting that electrification of the line as far a Newbury might mean far fewer direct services to Paddington from stations west of there, or possible none at all from some, and also questions about the future of Pewsey. For example:
- http://www.marlboroughnewsonline.co.uk/news/all-the-news/3158-government-consultation-on-future-of-bedwyn-train-services-give-your-views-by-thursday
- https://www.transitionmarlborough.org/blogpost194-Direct-services-between-Bedwyn-and-London-to-be-cut-by-May-2017
- http://pewsey.ourcommunitymatters.org.uk/news/threat-to-pewsey-train-services/
- http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/9940656.End_of_the_line_for_Pewsey_/

Some of that information is quite old, however, and none if it seems very definite. Is there any firm information about what the future holds here? Obviously, if there's not going to be a decent direct service to Paddington in future, it may well affect our plans!

Thanks!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 00:06:12 »

Welcome to the forum, Mathew.

I wish I could write firmly telling you what changes will happen to services at what date, but realistically I can't - and I don't think anyone can.   I would expect a very do-able commute to remain from Kintbury, Hungerford, Bedwyn and Pewsey to London at normal commuting times, and I would expect to see a regular interval service at every station, with a priority on traffic in the London direction, through the day.   You will note that I'm being very careful with my words; I'm not committing to hourly, nor am I committing to a through service.

Take a look at pages 9 and 36 of this document from last Autumn: http://atrebatia.info/gwrupdate8417.pdf but then consider that electrification has slipped considerably and it ain't going to be electrified to Newbury by next May ... also note that all the longer distance units that were going to be built as electric will be delivered as bimode (i.e. have diesel engines too). There was been talk too of electric multiple units with batteries to cover those last few unelectrified miles beyond Newbury, though the economics of this are far from clear. And to the West of where you're going to be, there is considerable disquiet at the prospect of passengers from Solent / Wiltshire to Plymouth / Penzance / Torbay who currently change at Westbury having to make an extra change - services from the "Peninsular" to London being sped up at the expense of service and the economy in Wilsthire at the wider central southern England area.

Coming back to you question about commuting - I don't know your timing details and needs, but it should be do-able by train.  For the "last mile" - if you're looking to use buses to get to the station, do note there was a Wiltshire Consultation on bus futures looking at saving support costs from the 2017/18 year, and the outcome from that is far from clear.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Mathew

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 09:29:57 »

Thanks for you response, Grahame! I guess it should be no surprise that there's little certainty about anything, but it's good to know at least what the plan were.

We're quite familiar with the existing intercity services (we have family in Devon and West Wales, making trips on them quite common), so I know that they're comfortable enough to contemplate spending 2 hours a day on them, and that you could get some work done with a small laptop. I'm not familiar with the stopping trains that currently go to Bedwyn; do you know if those are trains you could work at a laptop on? And is there any information at all on what the replacements will be like in future?
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 09:44:49 »

do you know if those are trains you could work at a laptop on? And is there any information at all on what the replacements will be like in future?
There are many pages of debate, on this forum and others, over whether the new AT300 series trains (classes 800, 801 and 802) will be more or less comfortable than the current trains you are used to, all of which are likely to be replaced in the next few years (unless you currently use the class 166/165 Networker Turbos on one of the Thames Valley branches that isn't being electrified). Some who have sat in the pre-series class 800 units have suggest the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) have specified cheap seats which are not very comfortable, but we won't know for sure what they are like until the first ones enter service next year.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 10:26:25 »

I *think* WiFi installation is underway on the class 165 / 166 Thames Turbos - currently in use on the Bedwyns, and still in use on the Bedwyns even if they end up turning around at Newbury.   It's certainly planned.  My own local station will be switching from other trains to the turbos as part of the changes, and we're promised WiFi which most of our trains don't have at present.  And that promise is a lot more definite than schedule promises.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 11:06:33 »

Hi Mathew,

I live a bit further up the line from where you are planning to move to, and am a fairly regular traveller into London from Thatcham (mainly for work) although not a commuter.

Most of the Turbo's (2 and 3 coach trains that run to, and turn-around at Bedwyn currently) do appear to have wifi now, based on my recent experience and it seems to work quite well for me. I think most if not all of the HST (High Speed Train)'s now have it.

I would also suggest that you have a look (if not already) at http://www.bedwyntrains.org.uk/which is the website of the Bedwyn Trains Passenger Group. They are a group of people who aim to raise the profile of rail usage from Bedwyn, and have lobbied for improvement (and against reduction) of services from Bedwyn, Station facilities etc. Their site will give you a good view of local services.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 22:43:15 by Thatcham Crossing » Logged
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 15:54:03 »

Hi, as others say, you need to make your own informed judgements on this.

The facts as we know them are that no electrification is planned beyond Newbury, and the Exeter/Cornwall HST (High Speed Train)'s are going to be replaced with new electro-diesel high-speed trains from Hitachi over the next few years. These are known as AT300s and not quite the same as the IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.) the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) procured from the same manufacturer (Hitachi) for Cardiff/Swansea/Bristol, they have been procured by First, should have better engines, and rumour suggests that they will have a better class of fit-out. They are based on the Javelin units that run out of St Pancras and seem to be boringly reliable. However, no production units have gone into service yet, so we don't really know how they'll be. The GWR (Great Western Railway) electric service will use new class 387s from Bombardier, which are pretty standard electric commuter units, used on the Gatwick Express services for example. There will also be Crossrail from Reading post-2019 using new high-density units from Bombardier. 

Beyond that, no-one really knows. Network Rail is in the planning stages for 2019 to 2024 5-year plan (CP6 (Control Period 6 - The five year period between 2019 and 2024)), which might see an extension of electrification for example. The GWR franchise is up for renewal to start in April 2019, which would typically include new trains and services.

The worst case scenario for you is probably that the Bedwyn services become a DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) shuttle from Newbury, necessitating a change of train at Newbury, either onto a new AT300, or a 387 EMU (Electric Multiple Unit), both of which should be fairly nice. The best case is probably that GWR order some more AT300s and extend the Bedwyn service to Westbury, so you get a regular service to London all the way on a shiny new AT300. The other possibility is that electrification is extended, but using 387's, so you have to go all the way to London with your laptop perched on your knee.

There's also a possibility that a Devizes Parkway station will be opened (which might affect your choice of location), and a really remote possibility that a branch to Marlborough might be reopened.

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 20:19:47 »

The established plan for post electrification is clear enough - it's in SLC3a of the current "franchise". This is the main part of that minimum required service for December 2018 is:

D6 LONDON PADDINGTON - READING – NEWBURY – BEDWYN
3 Route 1.1 (c) Newbury and Bedwyn
3.1 Route 1.1(c) Newbury and Bedwyn, Mondays to Fridays
(a) Between and including the Early and Late Services, twenty services from Newbury shall call at hourly intervals. Two additional services shall be provided between 1700 and 1930. One service between 1845 and 1915 at Newbury shall call additionally at Pewsey and Westbury. This shall connect at Newbury out of a service specified in paragraph 2.1(a).
(b) Between and including the Early Service and 0859 six services shall be provided. One of these services between 0600 and 0630 at Bedwyn shall call additionally at Westbury and Pewsey. This shall be joined at Newbury with a service specified in paragraph 2.1(c). One of these services between 0630 and 0700 at Bedwyn shall call additionally at Westbury and Pewsey. This shall connect at Newbury into a service specified in paragraph 2.1(c). From 0900 until the Late Service, sixteen services shall be provided at intervals not exceeding 1 hour and 10 minutes.
(c) On Mondays to Fridays not less than eighteen services in each direction shall connect at Newbury within 12 minutes.
3.2 Route 1.1(c) Newbury and Bedwyn, Saturdays
(a) Between and including the Early and Late Services, twenty services from Newbury shall be provided.
(b) Between and including the Early and Late Services, twenty services from Bedwyn shall be provided.
There is also "(c) Services may be provided in conjunction with Route B." Route B is the West of England service, where it says:

3 Limited Stops

3.4 Kintbury, Hungerford, Bedwyn Mondays to Fridays
(a) Two services departing London Paddington between 1600 and 1900 shall call at Hungerford and Bedwyn. One service departing London Paddington between 1600 and 1900 shall call at Kintbury.
(b) The service specified in paragraph 2.1(f) shall call at Hungerford. [That's the early morning train.]

The full stopping pattern of the semifasts is up to the TOC (Train Operating Company) to decide, within the specified journey times.

According to the Hendy "get real" plan for electrification, December 2018 will now be "Infrastructure authorised for passenger use", rather than "First timetabled public use of the infrastructure", but that shouldn't slip more than 6 months.

The Western Route Study also gives the 2019 ITSS (planning assumption) as:

• 1tph London Paddington – Newbury
• 1tph Newbury – Bedwyn
• 1tph London Paddington – Westbury
• 1tph London Paddington – Exeter or beyond

The 2043 ITSS (an aspiration for 2043 or earlier) is to more than double that service, but it than goes on to say:

The analysis suggests that in 2019 the Route Section has little
capacity to accommodate any additional train services in the peak
period...

The network could potentially accommodate an additional service
in the off-peak between Reading and Newbury and in terms of route
capacity, this service could be extended to Bedwyn. However, as the
limit of electrification is currently proposed as Newbury, this would
depend on the rolling stock strategy and the extent of any further
electrification.

It goes on to discuss how to accommodate the full 2043 ITSS with (lots of) new infrastructure, and what can be done without. That's the "NR» (Network Rail - home page) View" of what is likely to be possible and/or affordable. It tends to be what happens, unless the politics changes.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 22:51:20 by stuving » Logged
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 22:45:57 »

Have heard the rumours doing the rounds that  GWR (Great Western Railway) are in favour of an hourly semi fast service at leats between London & Westbury/Taunton  with trains serviing Bedwyn etc instead of a Bedwyn - Newbury shuttle
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 13:24:14 »

Have heard the rumours doing the rounds that  GWR (Great Western Railway) are in favour of an hourly semi fast service at leats between London & Westbury/Taunton  with trains serviing Bedwyn etc instead of a Bedwyn - Newbury shuttle

I believe that the turnback siding in Bedwyn can't fit any more than a Turbo in it and the quote to extend it was enormous. So probably a good excuse/business case to buy some more AT300s and extend to at least Westbury, if not Taunton. Might help also that the MP (Member of Parliament) for Devizes is the Rail Minister!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 16:34:14 »

A lot of froth in the press release, but confirmation that NR» (Network Rail - home page)/GWR (Great Western Railway) are looking to extend the turnback siding at Bedwyn, so that AT300s can be used to maintain the current through services from Bedwyn, Hungerford and Kintbury to London, without necessarily having to have come from somewhere further west:

https://www.gwr.com/about-us/media-centre/news/2017/february/direct-services-to-bedwyn-and-frome-to-continue-as-work-begins-on-new-fleet-of-trains

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 18:13:13 »

Text of the news release

Great Western Railway says it will be able to continue to operate direct services to Bedwyn and Frome next year, as work on its new fleet of Intercity Express Trains begins in Italy.

With electrification of the line extending as far as Newbury the new trains, capable of running on both diesel and electric, will mean that GWR (Great Western Railway) is able to continue to operate direct services to Bedwyn, Hungerford and Kintbury, promising more seats on bigger, better, brand new trains for customers.

Bedwyn was to lose its direct services to London because the line beyond Newbury is not being electrified and the future of the direct services to Frome was not assured

GWR has taken the opportunity of the delay in the electrification programme to invest in a number of additional bi-mode trains that will run on both diesel and electric. Local MPs (Member of Parliament) Claire Perry and Richard Benyon have worked very closely with the Department for Transport to secure agreement for these new trains. This investment will enable GWR to deploy brand new bi-mode trains on Frome and Bedwyn, Hungerford, Kintbury direct London services. 

The trains are longer than the current turbo fleet and the services to and from Bedwyn will require a small extension of a siding in Bedwyn to be able to operate.

The siding extension requires the diversion of an existing footpath and the rail company and Network Rail are seeking views from Great Bedwyn Parish Council before approaching Wiltshire Council for planning approval.

GWR Regional Development Manager Tom Pierpoint said:

“We at GWR are only too aware of the value that rail plays in the local and national economy. 

“We are really excited about the opportunity to be able to run direct services between Frome and London, and Bedwyn and London, with bigger, better trains providing more seats – helping the community to thrive both now and into the future.”

Cllr Horace Prickett, Passenger Transport Portfolio Holder comments: 

“Wiltshire Council is extremely pleased with this news and I will be giving all possible support to the application in due course.  This ensures that the Bedwyn to London service will continue and thus preserve the vital link to the capital which the east of the county currently enjoys. Wiltshire also sees this as a first step in upgrading the services west of Bedwyn to Westbury via Pewsey.”  

The new Hitachi trains which GWR has ordered, took a step closer last week as the first body shells arrived at Hitachi Rail’s Italian factory, where they are being built prior to be shipped to the United Kingdom.

Hitachi’s UK (United Kingdom) manufacturing facility in County Durham has already built its first train for Great Western Railway (GWR), as part of a previous order placed by the DfT» (Department for Transport - about), which is due into passenger service later this year.

The delivery of InterCity Express Trains to GWR will transform passenger experience for routes connecting London to Wales, the Cotswolds and the South West of England. 
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 09:41:35 »

Good news indeed for the folks west of Newbury (and those just east aswell!).

Does leave me wondering though how many 387's we will see on the B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury).

If the semi-fasts are on bi-modes, I guess that only leaves the Reading-Newbury shuttles for the EMU (Electric Multiple Unit)'s?

If that's the case, Midgham and Aldermaston will only accommodate a 4-car unit (if that?) and I don't believe there are any plans to extend the platforms at those locations (although we know there are at Thatcham and Theale).

Quite a few questions still as to how this will pan out!

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 09:54:39 »

I would guess that there will be a few Class 387 8-car peak trains between Newbury and Paddington stopping at the lengthened platforms, with an all-day Newbury-Reading shuttle utilising a 4-car unit using SDO (Selective Door Opening) if necessary at places like Midgham and Aldermaston.

That will compliment an AT300 service from Bedwyn to Paddington (perhaps a few coming from Frome or Westbury) of 5-cars off-peak, which during the peaks will be replaced with 9/10 car services which will all have originated from further west.

An improvement all round on the current offering if that's the case.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 10:39:00 »

There seems a lot of sense in this.

* Reducing Newbury - Bedwyn to a diesel shuttle was a pretty unwelcome idea and would have been an isolated operation for a turbo unit.   

* Using 319 BiModes would have been pretty unpopular with those in Newbury and to the east thereof who are looking forward (one guesses, but perhaps members who live in that area can confirm) to new 387s and don't want suburban hand-downs.

* Just running an AT300 every 2 hours west of Newbury for intermediate stops to Westbury and beyond, including Kintbury, Hungerford and Bedwyn, would do significant damage to traffic at those three stations, and to the lives of the users providing that traffic.

Stopping patterns of the Bedwyn service and the beyond-Bedwyn services, and final destinations, will be interesting.   Consider ...

1. Pewsey, which move from an erratic service to and from London into a much more regularly timed service, electric much of the way, but in probability a lot more stops for most if not all trains.

2. Westbury towards London, which again moves from an erratic service to a two-hourly one, but with additional stops in it and timings which aren't going to greatly differ from many current trains even though they're faster / "better" electrics. May even be slower with all the extra stops

3. Bedwyn and Pewsey to Westbury - there has long been a bone of contention from the Wiltshire communities served by Bedwyn and Pewsey that train decent services to the rest of their county are non-existent.  Important in this will be how the connections are set up at Westbury.

4. Westbury and it's catchment / connectional stations to Exeter, the rest of Devon and Cornwall.   The flow from Westbury west is significant - far more significant than you would think if you read certain reports.   For the business of Swindon and Wiltshire, of the Solent area including Southampton and Portsmouth connections to and from the businesses of Exeter, Torbay, Plymouth and Cornwall, Westbury is a key interchange and a decent service westwards (and a long way westwards) makes a very real difference.   I am unclear how this shakes out in the announcement, and slightly concerned at the mention of Frome in such a way that it may be regarded as the end of the line

5. Frome has an erratic service with some unfortunate gaps at present.  Bringing alternate "Bedwyn trains" through to Frome would be of a great benefit to the town.

6. Frome Westward.  Unsure what the plans are here from the announcement; Frome (Somerst, population around 25,000) has a virtually non-existent service to its county town of Taunton, and there's a market there which has also been identified by others.

7. Connectional issues into these trains at Westbury towards London from Trowbridge and Warminster.  There's a limited though service at present (five per week) from Trowbridge to Paddington, and from both you also have direct much much slower services a few times a day to Waterloo.   Improvement of pattern from Westbury could be a benefit to both feeders, though Warminster also feed quite well via Salisbury and these days Trowbridge feeds much better than it used to via Swindon.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: