Foundation, Beatties of London (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:18 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 22:49:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[260] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[200] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[54] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[48] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[23] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[22] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Plymouth rail improvements delayed as key report is put back until after summer  (Read 21475 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 21:36:56 »

How many people on a daily basus want an 0833 arrival into PLY» (Plymouth - next trains)?

Less than 50, probably less than 25
Bearing in mind it's the biggest city in England West of Bristol, home to a huge Naval Base and is a major centre of Westcountry employment, the word "commuters" springs to mind......try driving down the A 38 one morning during the rush hour towards Plymouth and then ask your question again.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2016, 21:40:07 »

Commuters from London/Reading etc? Yeah, right
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2016, 21:41:59 »

TG, you were referencing a service from East of Bath. I think my point stands
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2016, 21:56:58 »

................and which train do you get from London which will arrive at Bath to make an 0609 connection?

At present, you don't.  I get the wife to drive me to Bath Spa; the train starts at Bath, having come off depot and run empty from Bristol.  Semi tongue in cheek suggestion is to extend it when it terminates the night before to Bath and beyond.  Yet many a true word spoken in jest;  the final Bristol - London train is quite early, and the first London - Bristol quite late.  Hard to justify an 8+2, but a 4 car could be another story.

Reading other posts while I wrote the above ... though traffic not huge but there are multiple other flows it would cater for.  Neatly threads a number of gaps!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2016, 09:02:56 »

Commuters from London/Reading etc? Yeah, right

I was referring to it not only providing an earlier arrival into Plymouth for longer distance travellers but also additional capacity to provide more commuting options into Plymouth for those who live in (for example) Exeter and other smaller stations between there and Plymouth.

If that wasn't clear, I apologise, although I don't think that anyone would seriously imagine that daily commuting by train from London to Plymouth would be a viable option.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 09:23:30 by TaplowGreen » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2016, 09:48:23 »

Again, for commuters, the cascade off electrification can sort. As for a East of Bath connection, I still say there's almost zero demand
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2016, 13:05:21 »

Again, for commuters, the cascade off electrification can sort. As for a East of Bath connection, I still say there's almost zero demand

I'd be interested in your sources or reasoning for that assumption Chris.............oftentimes with these things if you build it they will come, I suspect that Business travellers have got so used to not expecting anything better than a mid morning arrival in Plymouth that they either drive, or simply choose do their business elsewhere.

There's been plenty of clamour for earlier/improved services from the Westcountry for many years, if GWR (Great Western Railway) choose to ignore it ultimately that's their business decision, however as a supplier that is massively subsidised by the taxpayer, one would expect a more responsive attitude from an organisation that frequently claims to be "Building a Greater West".
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2016, 13:45:57 »

I would expect an earlier arrival to feature as part of the new timetable, certainly pre-10am and if they can get one there for 9:30am that would be great.  Earlier than that probably isn't necessary and would involve a departure from Paddington before tubes start running which always dampens demand.

There is of course nothing stopping the DfT from specifying an earlier arrival in its Passenger Service Requirement for the new franchise.  I suggest those who would like an earlier train ensure they promote that view in any consultation the DfT undertake for the next franchise.  That way the operator would have to provide the earlier service whether it was a money maker or not.

Worth also mentioning that the earliest arrival was around 11:20am until December 2010 IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly), when it became the current just after 10:30am arrival (requiring a change at Newton Abbot until very recently), so the situation is much improved.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2016, 14:05:51 »

II has it spot on. But they've got to make the case....see elsewhere & the Peninsular Task Force delaying their report....
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2016, 15:16:54 »

I've always thought national trains to Taunton, Exeter and Plymouth appear to run a late schedule.

At 0620 @BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) there is no sign of a Cross Country train heading south west, and still no sign of of GWR (Great Western Railway)/CrossCountry 0640@BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)).

Both BPW and BTM should see trains to Plymouth at this time, indicating arrival at about 0900, which to me seems a reasonable time for business traffic to arrive.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2016, 15:17:57 »

From those areas, I completely agree
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2016, 16:20:37 »

At 0620 @BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) there is no sign of a Cross Country train heading south west, and still no sign of of GWR (Great Western Railway)/CrossCountry 0640@BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)).

Agreed from Parkway.   There's no sign of a fast Plymouth train at Temple Meads at 06:40 because it's left at 06:34 .. for an 08:33 arrival in Plymouth.

Both BPW and BTM should see trains to Plymouth at this time, indicating arrival at about 0900, which to me seems a reasonable time for business traffic to arrive.

I would suggest that the 08:33 arrival, which I've found to be busy, is fine without having another half an hour later. I do agree that the first train / connection from Parkway is later; as the 06:40 comes off depot in Bristol, you could always ask Cross Country to start it back at Parkway ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: