Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:44 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
17/04/24 00:45 London Paddington to Reading
Short Run
18:38 Barnstaple to Exmouth
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
23:24 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:48 Exeter St Davids to Exmouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 19:08:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[303] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[71] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[69] BBC Great Coastal Railway Journeys - A Correction
[69] Proposals for open access services on new routes
[65] Okehampton
[51] First tour train of season

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • TravelWatch SouthWest: October 08, 2016
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: TravelWatch SouthWest, Taunton, 8th October  (Read 25838 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 12, 2016, 07:24:44 »

TravelWatch SouthWest's twice a year general meeting - first Saturday in March and October.

Membership of the TravelWatch SouthWest CIC (Community Interest Company ) is open to every ‘not-for-profit’ organisation in the South West of England whose sole or principal purpose is to represent the users of any public transport service or to promote the development of public transport services – membership is also open to other ‘not-for-profit’ organisations’ in the South West England who represent the interests of special and potential classes of public transport users e.g. the disabled or the elderly. TWSW» (TravelWatch SouthWest - website) currently has over one hundred affiliated organisations.

TWSW, which is a social enterprise company, acts as an advocate for passengers to lobby for the improvement of public transport in the region and works closely with local authorities, business organisations, partnerships and other stakeholder groups – with the dissolution of the former Rail Passengers Committee for Western England in July 2005, TWSW is the representative body for public transport users throughout the South West of England.

The twice yearly meetings were invaluable to our "Save the Train" and (now) TransWilts team as we campaigned (and now partner) for an appropriate, successful, permanent train service from Swindon and / or Chippenham to / via Westbury.   Some 100 organisations are members, and the majority send representatives twice a year to these general meetings.   It's not only an opportunity to learn from (and question) key speakers from public transport industry and government related positions, but also to network with other organisations and contacts. Public transport campaigning/partnering is very rarely about competing with other campaigns/partnerships, and we're all very much looking to meet parallel objectives for our own areas.

If you (dear reader) are part of an organisation that's already a part of TravelWatch SouthWest, I look forward to seeing you / your representative there.   If you're a fledgling group or an individual with an idea or interest and you feel it could be useful, please get in touch - personal message or email ( grahamellis at transwilts.org ). A key element of "TWSW" is that a very early welcome is extended to those who want and might benefit from that welcome.

Area covered - Gloucestershire, Swindon, Wiltshire, Dorset and everywhere to the south west thereof.   Also fully aware of cross boundary services and influences, so don't be put off if you're from Wantage, Hungerford, Evesham, Mottisfont ...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 08:29:10 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 08:31:43 »

Might be worth checking - I think we were informed that the October meeting is on the 8th...that's certainly what I put in my diary
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 08:36:44 »

Might be worth checking - I think we were informed that the October meeting is on the 8th...that's certainly what I put in my diary

I WILL check that Chris ... thanks for the "heads up".

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 08:38:03 »

Their website has the meeting set "provisionally" for 1st October.

http://travelwatchsouthwest.org/meetings/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 09:43:24 »

That's a fairly recent change then....but good for me as I had a big clash on the 8th & was going to have to choose between being in Taunton or Shrewsbury!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 10:50:35 »

There will be a discussion and (I imagine) a final decision on the date at the TWSW» (TravelWatch SouthWest - website) board meeting later this month; with ACoRP (Association of Community Rail Partnerships) on 29th September in Southport, Tory party conference 2nd to 5th October, 1st isn't a great choice.  We loose rail people who are recovering from their trip to Southport, and politicians who are headed for Birmingham.  But there is comment that on 8th there are engineering works effecting trains?

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 08:33:27 »

The TWSW» (TravelWatch SouthWest - website) team met yesterday ... definite for 8th October now.   For those of you who wanted 1st - sorry!

8th is a date clear of a lot of other things and on balance suits more people ... gives us the larger audience, and an opportunity to attract speakers who certainly wouldn't have felt it clever to be in Taunton on 1st.  I will post the speakers list as I have it confirmed.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 01:45:13 »

And from the timings, it looks like delegates to that meeting will be able to take a return trip out to Bishop's Lydiard before or after the meeting. 

At some cost - I presume only accessible with a WSR awayday ticket?

From that, might I assume that you may be joining us at TravelWatch SouthWest in Taunton from Cherwell, ChrisB?

If so, we look forward to enjoying a pint with you in The Plough after the meeting.  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 09:12:40 »

50/50 at the moment, as I'm also supposed to be in Shrewsbury - and they're a tad too far apart to split my time & cover both!

So I'm waiting for the agenda to see how much Rail it contains, and will have to send my apologies in one direction or the other.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 23:54:36 »

This meeting on 8th October 2016 will be in the Albermarle Centre, Albermarle St, Taunton. Just off Station Road.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 05:58:57 »

This meeting on 8th October 2016 will be in the Albermarle Centre.

Yes indeed - full details have sent out with invites.

A representative from each / any group interested in public and sustainable transport to, from or within the SouthWest (Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, Dorset, and southwest thereof is welcome / encouraged to attend. This includes groups for who travel and transport is one of a number of issues in their coverage - for example the meetings are attended by representatives of some Chambers of Commerce, equality groups, Women's institutes, etc..   Public Transport, local government and interested unaffiliated individuals are also welcome.

That may sound like a very wide ranging and inclusive list (it's intended to be such), and if you're a member of any such group / company that's not already represented, you'll be welcomed with open arms by prior invite.  However, the TWSW» (TravelWatch SouthWest - website) general meeting stops short of being a public meeting as the purpose is for groups to liaise and for representatives to return home informed or inform the meeting.  Where important / relevant, an invite can be arranged for a group to be double-represented, but the organisers and sponsors do have to draw the line at whole groups turning up unannounced as their autumn day out.  Established forum members -  please let me know (persononal message or email fine) if you would an invite as you fit in (or come close) with the wide description above.

This Autumn, we include among our speakers: Andrew Wickham, Managing Director of bus and coach company Go South Coast and Damien Jones, Head of Services for Communities at Devon County Council. The Board will facilitate a discussion of the future franchise awards affecting the region and a workshop with TravelWatch SouthWest’s Chair, Vinita Nawathe. The agenda will also include the ever-popular 'Just a Minute' session which gives the opportunity for a maximum of ten delegates to speak on a public transport issue affecting the South West of England .

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2016, 18:39:36 »

And from the timings, it looks like delegates to that meeting will be able to take a return trip out to Bishop's Lydiard before or after the meeting. 
At some cost - I presume only accessible with a WSR awayday ticket?
From that, might I assume that you may be joining us at TravelWatch SouthWest in Taunton from Cherwell, ChrisB?
If so, we look forward to enjoying a pint with you in The Plough after the meeting.  Wink Cheesy Grin

Is the taking of refreshment in the Plough confirmed ? At roughly what time ?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2016, 16:41:19 »

Be good if the agwnda could be published....I may have to tender my apologies if the rail content isn't particularly 'strong' as I have another engagement wanting my attendance in Shrewsbury
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2016, 22:39:00 »

I have to concur with ChrisB on this one - it would be good if the agenda could be published, fairly soon.  Roll Eyes

Also, as a long-standing (albeit intermittent, due to prior work commitments!) attendee at such meetings, I'm slightly concerned that I haven't received any invitation to this particular meeting.  Roll Eyes

Have I possibly been struck off the register?  Tongue Embarrassed Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2016, 23:43:26 »

As far as I'm concerned, broadgage, the partaking of refreshments in The Pough is confirmed, from about 3:00pm onwards.

The venue of the TravelWatch SouthWest meeting has been changed, but that, if anything, makes it even easier for delegates to call in at The Plough on their way to, cough, Taunton Station.  Roll Eyes Wink Grin

I'll be there, with my orange hi-viz.  Wink Cheesy Grin

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: