16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
Delayed
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 15:31:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[226] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[107] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[46] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[43] Signage - not making it easy ...
[9] IETs at Melksham
[8] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Diary Of A Reasonably Frequent Rail User  (Read 39687 times)
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2020, 17:15:58 »

The last planned workings were last weekend, but not much this week has gone to plan!  Good to have them for emergencies for a short while longer!

I was under the impression that two units were being retained at Exeter - one for route learning purposes (Okehampton??) and the other for spares, so it makes perfect sense for them to be used for emergencies at the moment.
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2020, 15:36:31 »

Thursday 24th / Sunday 27th December 2020 - Well That Was Fun, Perhaps Staying At Home Would Have Been Better!
Only Joking - I Have Experienced Much Worse When Travelling By Train

Outward
DIG 0943>EXC 0955 (2T12 EXM>PGN) : 1 x 150/2 + 1 x 143
Rail Replacement Bus EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains)>TVP>TAU» (Taunton - next trains)
TAU 1112>BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) 1211 (2U14 Cancelled BRI>CDF» (Cardiff - next trains) Due To No Crew) : 1 x 158 (2-Cars)
BRI 1235>WKF 1546 (1S47 BRI>EDB) : 2 x 220 (8-Cars)

We were actually booked on the 1027 XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) train from EXD but that was cancelled prior to departure from PLY» (Plymouth - next trains) due to the flooding north of Exeter. On the plus side the bus was already waiting when 2T12, which was conveniently switched to Platform 1, arrived at EXD. I had never used a replacement bus to/from or via TVP before but this trip indicated to me that the road access at TVP for larger vehicles needs some serious attention. Amusingly, despite the presence of numerous large signs indicating it's closure (building work), the bus driver decided it would be a really good idea to drive into the south side access at Taunton station and then spent quite some time very carefully reversing back out. Briefing of replacement bus drivers is evidently sometimes inadequate - or are some of them just a bit thick. The local service connection train to Brizzle was, not surprisingly, quite busy. Pleased that the XC train from BRI had a static refreshment trolley in each unit - GWR (Great Western Railway) please take note! Wakefield arrival only an hour later than intended but a full refund is expected. 

Return
WKF 1103>STP 1409 (1C43 LDS>STP) : HST (High Speed Train) (8-Cars)
TfL» (Transport for London - about) Underground STP>PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) Hammersmith & City Direct Service
PAD 1637>EXD 1857 (1C89 PAD>PLY) : IET (Intercity Express Train) (9-Cars)
EXD 1952>DIG 2004 (2F24 PGN>EXM) : 1 x 158 (2-Cars)

A very much showing its age EMR» (East Midlands Railway, also known as EMT» (East Midlands Trains - about) (East Midlands Trains) - about) HST on the run down to London made somewhat more agreeable by the use of Spanish Inquisition style seats in 1st Class which was only ?5 each more than Standard. We followed, very slowly, a late running Northern stopper nearly all the way to Sheffield and the delay was never completely recovered which, with a further noticeable check on the approach to Bedford, led to a 6 late arrival at STP. No major damage done though. The tube was, as expected, very quiet; in our immediate vicinity I could only see 3 other pax. And then the fun really started - shortly after arrival at PAD our 1603 booked service to EXD changed on the departure boards to terminating at TAU, then to finishing at TVP, then back to TAU and finally, with PA (Public Address) confirmation, to a complete cancellation due to flooding (Staffords Bridge again?) induced line closure. On RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) it states 'This service was cancelled due to a delay not investigated (OU). Lack of a driver with 'via Yeovil' route knowledge or just no point in running two services within 35 minutes of each other with so few passengers around? The diversionary run of 1C89 between CLC (Castle Cary) and EXD (it took 83 minutes) was, it seemed to me, very well handled; we had a brief stop at YVP to allow a London-bound IET to pass but then a clear run all the way. I think the South Western Railway 1Z49 heading to Exeter was held at Sherborne while Salisbury-bound 1Z82 was similarly treated at Axminster East to allow this to happen. Interestingly the original intention to de-train TAU passengers at CLC onto a replacement bus service seems to have been abandoned as there were calls for Taunton-bound passengers on our arrival at EXD.

And finally; during the awful Xmas-period weather the previous flooding blackspots of Cowley Bridge and Hele & Bradninch LC (Level Crossing) seem to have held up pretty well (the latter location was completely clear when we passed it on the M5 on the 24th) so is it now time to properly sort out Staffords Bridge?     
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2021, 08:57:20 »

Tuesday 18th / Wednesday 19th May 2021 - 1st Post-Lockdown Trip, Offspring Requiring Help With Some Decorating

Outward
DIG 0843>EXC 0852 (2T10 EXM>PGN) : 2 x 150/2
EXC 0930>BSK (Brake Standard Corridor (carriage)) 1155 (1L36 EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains)>WAT) : 2 x 159

Earlier train from DIG than was strictly necessary so I had time to buy a drink in the vicinity of EXC as SWR» (South Western Railway - about) had still not reinstated on-train refreshment services. Both trains were pleasingly busy - on 2T10 I had to sit next to another passenger (shock,horror!)

Return
BSK 1607>EXC 1838 (1L45 WAT>EXD) : 2 x 159
EXC 1850>DIG 1858 (2F29 PGN>EXM) : 2 x 150/2

Tickets not checked on 1L45, which was fairly busy until Tisbury/Gillingham with lots of school traffic.

All trains ran to time.
Total trip cost: £24.55
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2021, 13:42:40 »

BTW (by the way), The withdrawal of on train catering by SWR» (South Western Railway - about) is intended to be permanent and not a short term measure.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2021, 13:53:59 »

BTW (by the way), The withdrawal of on train catering by SWR» (South Western Railway - about) is intended to be permanent and not a short term measure.

The latest NRT (Network Rail Telecoms) (National Rail Timetable) shows a trolley service on long distance services from Waterloo

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2021, 14:06:45 »

The latest NRT (Network Rail Telecoms) (National Rail Timetable) shows a trolley service on long distance services from Waterloo

Just picked up the links to the .pdf files of the NRT, Roger ... will be uploading them to our station navigator!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2021, 14:30:03 »

This thread suggests that withdrawal of all SWT (South West Trains) catering is intended to be permanent http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=24340.0

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2021, 14:34:55 »

Yes, permanent as far as I know.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2021, 14:48:32 »

Yes, permanent as far as I know.

SWT (South West Trains)'s web site currently says:
Catering

Onboard catering is provided by Elior on the following routes: London Waterloo to Bournemouth, Portsmouth and Exeter St Davids (subject to availability).

Sandwiches, pastries and cakes, savoury snacks, breakfast dishes, and a selection of soft, alcoholic and hot drinks are served from a trolley service.

An evening buffet service is available during peak times on trains from London Waterloo to Bournemouth and Portsmouth.

First Class complimentary catering

If you travel in First Class to or from London Waterloo (London Waterloo to Axminster, Bournemouth and Portsmouth Harbour) on a train arriving at or departing from Waterloo before 10:00 Monday to Friday, you will be offered a complimentary hot drink and biscuit from our trolley service.

If we are unable to deliver to your seat for any reason then you can show your First Class ticket to a member of our catering team to obtain your complimentary drink and biscuit.

No mention of alterations due to Covid on that page, but if you follow a further linke you get:
We're no longer offering onboard catering services on trains between London Waterloo, Portsmouth, Exeter St Davids and Weymouth, so please make sure to pick up your refreshments from one of our many outlets at our stations. Check your station to see if shops are available.

That phrase "subject to availability" always leaves me a bit uneasy - availability of what? You'd think in that case it was "enough stock", but apparently it's "any catering service". I know that ralways move with glacial slowness, but even so you'd think they might do better!
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2021, 11:05:38 »

...and in the Covid-19 section of the SWR» (South Western Railway - about) website it says 'Unfortunately, we are currently not offering onboard catering on our services.' which to me implies that catering could/will be reinstated.

Given that the various statements appear to be contradictory I have emailed SWR asking for a definitive answer and will post any response in the appropriate thread.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2021, 12:39:43 »

I doubt that you will get a clear answer from SWT (South West Trains). More likely to be something like "we keep on board services under continual review" which sounds vaguely hopeful but without actually promising anything.

Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2021, 09:34:53 »

I doubt that you will get a clear answer from SWT (South West Trains). ...

Well played, sir!

Herewith a copy of (most of) the SWR» (South Western Railway - about) reply:
'I understand why you're disappointed that we’re no longer providing catering on our trains. However, the contract with Elior wasn't proving to be financially viable. We were heavily subsidising the arrangement. The sharp reduction in passenger numbers, brought about by the COVID-19 pandemic, has made on-train catering services even more unsustainable.

The pandemic has caused a significant drop in our current passenger numbers but also in expected growth.  We're currently being subsidised by the taxpayer so that we can continue to provide a safe and reliable service. Therefore, it is more important than ever that we spend money carefully,

Following discussions with the Department for Transport, we took the difficult decision to terminate our contract. We appreciate that this will have an impact, particularly on those travelling longer distances. However, we’ll continue to provide refreshment outlets at stations where it is safe to do so.'

Reading between the lines it is clearly a permanent withdrawal of on-board catering services. Unless of course they change their minds! My original question, couched in terms understandable by a five-year-old, contained the words 'temporary' & 'permanent'. Was it really beyond the nous of SWR Customer Relations to choose the appropriate option and include it in the reply? Perhaps that was deliberate obfuscation just in case passenger numbers go through the roof.

BTW (by the way) at no point in my original missive did I express any sense of disappointment over this issue. I might be absolutely delighted and anyway I can survive quite happily without the faux empathy.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2021, 11:17:00 »

That seems like a pretty clear answer to me, even if the word permanent wasn’t used.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2021, 15:25:00 »

Thursday 27th May 2021 - Post Lockdown 'Retail Therapy' For SWTSMBO (She Who Thinks She Must Be Obeyed)

Outward
DIG 0943>EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) 0955 (2T12 EXM>PGN) : 2 x 150/2
EXD 1015>RDG(resolve)▸ 1201 (1A78 PNZ▸ >PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)) : 2 x 5 Car IET (Intercity Express Train)
RDG 1218>OXF» (Oxford - next trains) 1242 (1W02 PAD>HFD» (Hereford - next trains)) : 1 x 5 Car IET
OXF 1304>BIT 1321 (1Y44 OXF>MYB (London (Marylebone))) : 2 x 168

Slightly late departure from EXD following an earlier delay near Ivybridge exacerbated by a train that was non-stop between TAU» (Taunton - next trains) & RDG being routed via WSB» (Westbury - next trains) Platform 3 rather than the avoiding line. I would estimate that 1A78 was about 30-35% full between Exeter & Reading. A mobile catering trolley, with 2 staff - 1 serving and the other taking payments - was available in our set. Disappointed that the coffee was served as a cup of hot water with a DIY sachet of Nescafe but better than nothing. No on-train PA (Public Address) announcements until the RDG arrival - GWR (Great Western Railway) keep up the good work!
1W02 left PAD 17 minutes late due to an unspecified fault on the train, and had made up no time on arrival at RDG, but a clear non-stop run to OXF reduced the delay by 5 minutes so the connection to Bicester Village was made comfortably rather than it being a mad dash. 1W02 also carried a double-crewed refreshment trolley and was almost full.
Tickets were only checked on 2T12.

Return
On 28/05 by road via Basingstoke which proved to be misguided as the A303 was an absolute nightmare even at 10pm!

Tickets: 2 x Railcard SSS (Super OffPeak Single) DIG>BIT @ £31.70
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2021, 17:30:58 »

Thursday 17th June 2021 - Shopping By Train Instead Of Bike Due To Approaching Thunderstorms

DIG 0943>EXC 0951 (2T12 EXM>PGN) : 2 x 150/2
EXC 1054>DIG 1100 (2F13 PGN>EXM) : Class 166 3-Car

Pleased to report that both services were pretty busy; I would estimate that the return train was around 60% full. 
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: