Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:35 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:52:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Imber Bus: August 20, 2016
  • Imber Bus: August 26, 2017
  • Imber Bus: August 18, 2018
  • Imber Bus day: August 17, 2019
  • Imber bus on Sunday: August 18, 2019
  • Imber bus day: August 20, 2022
  • Bus to Imber: August 17, 2024
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Imber bus day  (Read 86642 times)
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2016, 20:26:22 »

I reckon that was Four Propellers, Now! trying out his new toy.....
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2016, 20:39:10 »

Note for next year ... should probably set up a time & place for forum members to meet if they wish.   Lunchtime pint at the Green Dragon, Market Lavington?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2016, 23:37:11 »

One slightly concerning moment came as I was walking to church and a remote controlled drone flew over my head.  It was certainly closer than 50 metres!  They do get some spectacular pictures but having seen a couple of near misses when they crash, it did make me feel a little uneasy.

https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/Model-aircraft-and-drones/The-Dronecode/

I noticed today that Trago have the basic drones with cameras starting from £29.99. At that price we are going to end up with operators that aren't clued up on rules and regs.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2016, 07:32:48 »

One slightly concerning moment came as I was walking to church and a remote controlled drone flew over my head.  It was certainly closer than 50 metres!  They do get some spectacular pictures but having seen a couple of near misses when they crash, it did make me feel a little uneasy.

Yes, I felt the same concern - overhead the path and landing in the field-become-car park just to the right.

A picture isn't good when you have to explain what it shows ... HOWEVER ... it can be informative.  Landing area was between the black and the white cars, with two chaps with a table and impressive looking controllers there.  The drone I saw clearly had a lot of "whizz-bangs" like camera rotation motors as well as the main drive and was brought in about the height of three people (above the busy path) 15 to 20 metres overhead and landed in the middle of the area.  Clearly not a  "Trago Mills special" and one hopes they had dispensations, insurance, etc ... there wasn't an organisation / contact name of any sort of clear display. 
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 08:25:41 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2016, 09:05:36 »

BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Wiltshire have tweeted an aerial photo of Imber. Was it them?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2016, 09:13:53 »

BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Wiltshire have tweeted an aerial photo of Imber. Was it them?

Not directly ... their pictures are credited "PA (Public Address)" which I guess means "Press Association" ... who I suspect buy in from lots of others.  BBC Wiltshire were in Imber on Friday morning, long before the buses were running, and did some excellent prior publicity;  didn't see them there at all on Saturday.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2016, 17:55:48 »

A news item, illustrated with some more cracking pictures, from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

'Ghost village' on Salisbury Plain opened to public

Roads through the MoD-controlled village are opened to the public on a handful of occasions

Passengers have been taken by bus to a Salisbury Plain "ghost village" which was abandoned in 1943.

The deserted Wiltshire village of Imber was cleared during World War Two and later taken over by the military.

Vintage Routemaster buses have been used to take passengers to the village, for one day each year, since 2009.

The area is normally closed to civilians as it sits in the middle of a Ministry of Defence training zone.

Villagers were given a few weeks' notice to pack their bags and leave before the community was abandoned in December 1943.

It was needed by the army to provide an exercise area for US troops preparing to invade Europe.

In the 1970s, several empty houses were built for use by UK (United Kingdom) soldiers taking part in training exercises.

St Giles Church, the only original building left intact, was also opened to visitors for the weekend.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2016, 11:03:21 »

Long wait if you missed the last bus... Wink
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2016, 20:50:18 »

Thanks for all who posted pics here.  I wish I'd ignored the weather forecast and gone.  Cry
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2016, 20:57:22 »

Trainer, you are not the first person who has said that to me about Saturday.  Funnily enough I was planning to go out on Sunday too and having seen the forecast decided to stay in.  As it turned out that was the correct decision as it poured down.  You can't win!!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2017, 13:22:36 »

Note for next year ... should probably set up a time & place for forum members to meet if they wish.   Lunchtime pint at the Green Dragon, Market Lavington?

Date now set for 2017

Saturday 26th August 2017

https://imberbus.wordpress.com/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2017, 16:15:14 »

Time to amend the thread title?
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2017, 18:22:50 »

Time to amend the thread title?

OK - you've twisted my arm.  Calendar updated too.  Grin
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2017, 16:05:32 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

Access to a "ghost village" church which was taken over by the military in World War Two is to be restricted.

The village of Imber was abandoned in 1943 and has been closed to civilians ever since as it is sited on the MoD's training zone on Salisbury Plain.

St Giles Church, the only building left intact in Imber, is normally open to the public for two weeks each August.

This year the MoD has reduced it to three days due to visitors "attempting to access restricted areas".

It was just before Christmas 1943 that Imber villagers were ordered to pack up and leave to provide a training area for American troops preparing for the invasion of Europe during World War Two.

They were never allowed to return and the village vanished off the map.

Since then, up to 50 days of public access is granted each year by the MoD.

But this year it has been "significantly reduced", according to Neil Skelton, custodian of the church, because visitors have been "trespassing in the restricted areas" of the deserted village.

"Last August, we had probably around 4,000 to 5,000 people over the two weeks and at Easter it was manic," he said.

"It's the sheer numbers, we're attracting so many people but if you reduce the number of days, you'll be squeezing more people in to fewer days."

'Public in danger'

It is feared people are putting their lives at risk by trespassing in to areas where there could be "unexploded ordnance".

A Ministry of Defence spokesman said keeping visitors to Imber village safe was a "top priority".

He said: "Unfortunately we have received numerous reports of members of the public placing themselves and others in danger during previous open days by attempting to access restricted areas.

"Following these reports a risk assessment was carried out which resulted in the decision to reduce public access periods to the village."
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2017, 16:18:29 »

Those pesky
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: