Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:55 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:06:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Imber Bus: August 20, 2016
  • Imber Bus: August 26, 2017
  • Imber Bus: August 18, 2018
  • Imber Bus day: August 17, 2019
  • Imber bus on Sunday: August 18, 2019
  • Imber bus day: August 20, 2022
  • Bus to Imber: August 17, 2024
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Imber bus day  (Read 86640 times)
hoover50

Class 50 at Swindon

View Profile Email
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2019, 22:05:03 »

Also the LT 4TC unit will be visiting Warminster on a UK (United Kingdom) Railtours special.
I wonder what class of loco will haul it??
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2019, 09:42:21 »

GBRf class 73s front and back are probable.  No push-pull working.

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2019, 10:35:59 »

GBRf class 73s front and back are probable.  No push-pull working.

Probably. They are using 73s with the same set on trips to Swanage.

https://www.ukrailtours.com/product/by-routemaster-to-the-lost-village-of-imber/
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2019, 21:21:25 »

I don't know how long the UKrailtours trip has been advertised - but have just been informed from a very reliable source that the Imber bus day was actually only confirmed yesterday. Also due to a lot of extra military training (so the MoD say ) the roads/Imber will only be open for a total of 5 days in August. My source of info was unaware of the rail trip.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2019, 19:11:32 »

Imber is on TV as I type Michael Portillo hidden history of Britain channel five 7 till 8 pm .
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2019, 19:35:23 »

Imber is on TV as I type Michael Portillo hidden history of Britain channel five 7 till 8 pm .

Just watching it - tnx

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #96 on: July 11, 2019, 12:55:22 »

As well as Saturday 17th August,  I undertstand there will be a limited service from Warminster to Imber on Sunday 18th August this year.

Good to see public transport improvements on a Sunday.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2019, 11:35:57 »

From the Imber Bus newsletter

Imberbus is running next month !
by The Imberbus Crew

This year, the Imberbus service to the lost village of Imber will be running on Saturday 17th August and it is already promising to be a popular event, with a charter train and an overnight music festival expected to bring extra people eager to travel on our buses across Salisbury Plain.

We therefore have more than 25 old and new Routemaster buses lined up to provide this year's service which will run every 15 minutes from Warminster Station to Imber from 9.45am onwards. On arrival at Imber, some buses will then carry on to our new interchange point at Gore Cross, from where they will continue twice an hour either to New Zealand Farm Camp,.Tilshead & Chitterne, or to Brazen Bottom and Market Lavington.

In addition to the 16th century St.Giles' Church at Imber that will be open that weekend, there will again be the opportunity for our passengers to visit the Market Lavington Museum, which is located along side Market Lavington Church and opening specially for our event.  In addition to exhibiting local artifacts, the museum will also be serving cream teas which have proved to be a popular attraction in previous years. Light refreshments will also be available at Imber Church and the buffet at Warminster Station and in the village halls in both Tilshead and Chitterne.

This year our event also coincides with the Delaware Road festival, which is an overnight event for electronic music lovers that is being held at New Zealand Farm Camp.  Imberbus will be providing transport to/from Warminster for those attending this event and this means that we will also be able to operate a small number of journeys between Warminster and Imber only on Sunday 18th August. Therefore if you are unable to join us on the Saturday,.or simply wish to spend an hour wandering around Imber village and its Church when there are fewer people around, please join us at Warminster Station on the Sunday at 10am, 11am, 12noon or 1pm and we will be happy to carry you up to Imber on one of our buses.

Further details about this year's Imberbus event can be found on our website at www.imberbus.wordpress.com, including maps, timetables, fares and details of how to get to Warminster Station. If this is your first visit to Imber, we strongly recommend that you take a look at our Frequently Asked Questions page, which provides important information on where you can and cannot go, where you can get something to eat and also the location of public toilets (which are few and far between on the Salisbury Plain!).

IMPORTANT - If you are planning on bringing a group of people to Warminster in a bus or coach, please contact us immediately as there are very few coach parking facilities available in Warminster.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 17, 2019, 12:11:18 »

London Transport's 4TC unit, topped with a Class 33 and tailed with a Class 73 leaves Warminster this morning, for Westbury, after dropping off its passengers for this year's Imberbus event.
Warminster Station was very busy, a lot of people arriving by the service trains as well as the charter.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #99 on: August 17, 2019, 14:45:39 »

Just back into the land of WiFi and mobile phone signals!

Picture is Chitterne ... lots more to share when I hit home.  Currently waiting on the platform at Westbury amongst the throbbing of ticking over turbos!

Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 17, 2019, 19:59:59 »

Homeward bound ! - under darkening skies. Approaching Norton Bavant.

Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #101 on: August 17, 2019, 20:45:47 »

i@ve been to Imber a few times over the years but I have never known is as busy as it was today. Perhaps this charter goes some, but not all of the way, to explaining it.

How many of "us" were up there? Graham was there, martyjon said he was going, but I didn't see anybody I knew!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #102 on: August 17, 2019, 21:14:53 »

There were 60 on the train off Melksham at 09:02, and a good number of them transferred to the Waterloo (for Warminster) - clearly their first train trip.  Some admitted seeing it on social media.  A tiny drop in the ocean for the day as a whole, of course.

Just been going through - missed you, Robin - saw 10 people I knew; only a couple of Coffee Shop members - mostly bus folks as you might expect at a bus-y day. 

chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 17, 2019, 21:21:17 »

Chuffed and trainer were there. Held up in the jam at the new Gore Cross bus station ...had to been seen to be believed ...where too many motorists wanted to park in the bus station. Apart from that, it was a great day out, and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves immensely...drivers,clippies,passengers. I would be interested to know the final figure of profits donated to charity. It would be nice to think they could break the £15k barrier for the first time.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 11:07:06 by chuffed » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #104 on: August 17, 2019, 21:30:16 »

More Pix

More of a queueing issue at places than a bus capacity issue.    Two on most if not all duties;   first often left full but the relief usually had space.   Then you had the fussy so-and-sos who wanted to ride on particular buses.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: