Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:31:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Imber Bus: August 20, 2016
  • Imber Bus: August 26, 2017
  • Imber Bus: August 18, 2018
  • Imber Bus day: August 17, 2019
  • Imber bus on Sunday: August 18, 2019
  • Imber bus day: August 20, 2022
  • Bus to Imber: August 17, 2024
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Imber bus day  (Read 86641 times)
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 17, 2019, 22:17:36 »

I would be interested to know the final figure of profits donated to charity. It would be nice to think they could break the £15k barrier for the first time.

I should be able to get those figures for you - it might take a few days.................

a. To collate all the figures
b. So those involved can put their feet up for a while after a very busy few days.

Re Grahame's first Pix - I hope that queue wasn't for the porta-loos !!!
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 18, 2019, 07:01:05 »

First video has appeared on Youtube at :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnznikV75H4
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 18, 2019, 07:06:11 »

No, but not much shorter.
Reginald25
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 18, 2019, 07:11:26 »

Lets hope today (Sunday) will be as successful, albeit lower key. I've never been to Imber so something new to explore local;ly.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #109 on: August 18, 2019, 07:17:03 »

No, but not much shorter.

Now to be fair - the publicity / timetable leaflet that was being handed out did point out the lack of permanent loos in Imber and suggested you go just off the plain.

Tea, coffee, soft drinks were being served in the church - also a long queue.  I suspect the overall inward and outward flow (drinks being sold and loo capacity) was broadly in balance in litres per minute.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 18, 2019, 07:18:28 »

How many of "us" were up there? Graham was there, martyjon said he was going, but I didn't see anybody I knew!

Yea, I wer ther, saw G thrice and DR wer ther too looking much better than when I saw him a week ago.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 18, 2019, 07:39:29 »

Did wonder what the "strange" train the Cross Country I was on passed between Winchester and Basingstoke yesterday afternoon. I now know, the Imber Charter. I hope you all enjoyed yourselves, I was inconvenienced elsewhere by not checking the tides (just involved a detour).
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 18, 2019, 07:46:20 »

Late News.

Buses to Imber this Sunday

If you want to visit the lost village of Imber but were unable to travel with us on Saturday, we will also be running a few buses to between Warminster and Imber this Sunday (18th August 2019).

These will depart from Warminster Station at 10am, 11am, 12 noon and 1pm, returning from Imber at 10.25am, 11.25am, 12.25pm, 1.25pm, 2.25pm and 4.30pm (there will not be a bus from Imber at 3.30pm).

Imber will be a lot quieter on Sunday and the 16th Century St.Giles Church will be open from 11am until 3.30pm if you want a leisurely walk round. Single fares from Warminster to Imber will be £3 each way for adults and £1 for children - please pay the conductor on the bus in cash (there is no need to book but we regret that we cannot accept bus passes or credit cards).

Buses from Delaware Road

If you are returning from the Delaware Road Festival, we will also be running buses from New Zealand Farm Camp back to Warminster at 10am, 11am, 12 noon, 1pm and 2pm.

Afternoon Mystery Tour to unexplored parts of Salisbury Plain

On Sunday afternoon we hope to run a circular mystery tour using vintage Routemaster buses, from Warminster Station to a part of Salisbury Plain that has rarely, if ever, been seen by the general public and certainly not by double decker bus!  This will depart at 3pm and is expected to arrive back into Warminster at approximately 5pm.  You can also join the tour at Imber at 2.25pm and we will drop you off again there 2 hours later.

Tickets for this journey will cost £10 for adults and £1 for accompanied children - please pay the conductor on the bus in cash (there is no need to book but we regret that we cannot accept bus passes or credit cards). This ticket can also be purchased and used to travel on the buses from Warminster to Imber in the morning).

We look forward to seeing you on Sunday.

The Imberbus Crew | 17 August 2019 at 4:00 pm

Above edited version of link below:-

https://imberbus.wordpresscom/2019/08/17/buses-to-imber-this-sunday/

Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 18, 2019, 09:36:08 »

https://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/17844351.thousands-visitors-flocked-see-abandoned-village-imber/
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 18, 2019, 18:33:59 »

Some idea of numbers at Imber this week. Logged at the church.

Thurs: 650
Fri:     350  (in dreadful weather !)
Sat:    Automatic counting system was just overwhelmed with the numbers entering the church. Estimated to be 5000 +.
Sun:   I was in the church at 3:30pm - still very busy.

I think all those who gave their time over the weekend deserve a big cheer for a brilliantly organised event !
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #115 on: August 19, 2019, 05:40:04 »

Sat:    Automatic counting system was just overwhelmed with the numbers entering the church. Estimated to be 5000 +.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2019, 08:56:36 »

I think the general 'advertising' on various fora caused the peak in numbers - glad (not) to see any complaints about the queues. But I doubt many more could be realistically 'comfortable', and would suggest that little 'advertising' next year. or numbers will swamp available loos/buses/etc.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2019, 09:58:32 »

I think the general 'advertising' on various fora caused the peak in numbers - glad (not) to see any complaints about the queues. But I doubt many more could be realistically 'comfortable', and would suggest that little 'advertising' next year. or numbers will swamp available loos/buses/etc.

This year for - I think - the first time there was a limited Sunday service; a question of forecasting to match supply and demand, though noting that supply is limited by volunteer availability.  And then the weather makes a difference too.  They did fine and I'm sure will tune for next year.

martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 20, 2019, 10:54:45 »

The Sunday service was in the main supplied to convey participants in the Delaware Road Music Festival which took place at the New Zealand Camp Farm overnight 17/18 August with the Sunday service being between Warminster Station and Imber only. An extra for the Sunday was a 23C service which was reputedly to cover the whole of the training ranges Perimeter Road which I hope might become a feature in next years and future years events.

All in all a wonderful day in fine weather and got given  my first chrissy pres for this Christmas, IMBERBUS the first 10 years published for this the tenth anniversary of this event, bit pricey at a tenner but the proceeds are going to good causes, keeping the Church at Imber in good repair, Help for Heroes and for this year a prearranged fixed donation to Stagecoach's chosen charity for 2019, a charity which is supportive of cancer in children.
Reginald25
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 20, 2019, 15:42:19 »

Sunday event was well supported, perhaps a little low key compared to Saturday. Buses were doing the loop to New Zealand as well as shuttles to Warminster station.
Had to travel to Trowbridge to get train to Warminster , none at MKM» (Melksham (Station code) - next trains), but that's another story.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
  Print  

Jump to: