19/04/24 06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
19/04/24 06:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
19/04/24 07:13 Great Malvern to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 01:14:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vintage bus cavalcade marks closure of bus stations in Plymouth and Exeter  (Read 6136 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: July 17, 2016, 16:58:05 »

A video news report, from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Vintage bus cavalcade marks closure of stations

A convoy of vintage coaches has made its way through Devon to mark the imminent closure of both Exeter and Plymouth's bus stations.

The parade of vehicles from the golden age of travel set off from Paris Street in Exeter on Saturday and made their way along to Bretonside in Plymouth.

It marks the closure of both city bus stations this summer to make way for modernised facilities.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 17:08:40 »

It marks the closure of both city bus stations this summer to make way for modernised facilities.

I hope that doesn't mean a row of on-street bus stops with a few inadequate shelters (as in Weston-super-Mare). I'm sure that won't be the case for such prestigious cities.

Always nice to see the Royal Blue coach in its natural habitat.  Smiley
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 18:09:16 »

I hope that doesn't mean a row of on-street bus stops with a few inadequate shelters (as in Weston-super-Mare). I'm sure that won't be the case for such prestigious cities.

Always nice to see the Royal Blue coach in its natural habitat.  Smiley

Not sure of Exeter but plymouths new bus station is on the site of a condemned Multi-storey  car park I believe that was demolished. 2-3 minute walk from the train for mixing transport miles.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 18:45:09 »

Rather unfortunate    http://m.plymouthherald.co.uk/two-in-hospital-after-collision-at-vintage-bus-event/story-29522062-detail/story.html
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 21:15:07 »

Plymouth's new bus station is only a COACH station for SCHEDULED services, with bays for 7 coaches only.

In addition, there will be 2 drop off/pick up bays for TOURIST coaches on a roundabout at the bottom of Royal Parade; all scheduled BUS services will depart from the "inadequate shelters on a street".

There will be NO parking available at the coach station - and no alternatives yet available for the HGVs that currently use Bretonside.

Exeter's plans - that I've read about - are broadly the same.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 21:38:54 »

"inadequate shelters on a street"

Makes Slough Bus Station seem luxurious!

Although it's too small with lots of street stops around it.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 21:41:17 »

Well I can certainly tell you that I'd rather stand in one of the (quite adequate) bus shelters in Royal Parade (Plymouth) than the dingy Bretonside bus station which had seen better days Tongue Roll Eyes
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 21:50:49 »

Well I can certainly tell you that I'd rather stand in one of the (quite adequate) bus shelters in Royal Parade (Plymouth) than the dingy Bretonside bus station which had seen better days Tongue Roll Eyes

Me too, Royal parade is a great terminal, albeit I tend to get lost working out where the bus goes from and ended up on the slow bus to Liskeard (via torpoint etc instead of Saltash)

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 22:08:11 »

... the dingy Bretonside bus station which had seen better days Tongue Roll Eyes

When we have left Europe, could we invite the Luftwaffe back to finish their demolition job?  Tongue

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 15:01:39 »

The new bus/coach station is in a really stupid location which has been universally acknowledged by all concerned, it will be a complete nightmare during busy times.

I agree though the bus shelters in Royal Parade etc are perfectly adequate - the bus service in and around Plymouth is pretty good on the whole.

Bretonside is the subject of much affection and nostalgia for those of us who grew up in God's own city, however in recent years it has become a urine soaked dump, inhabited by undesirables (especially since all the shops closed down)

The plans for it going forward however (more cinemas and hotels) are not needed and largely unwanted - we'll see what transpires.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 16:39:57 »

I agree though the bus shelters in Royal Parade etc are perfectly adequate - the bus service in and around Plymouth is pretty good on the whole.

Yes.  Our estate has just had an hourly service instigated on a Sunday for the first time in many years.  Good old Citybus Wink
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 17:06:45 by SandTEngineer » Logged
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 19:10:29 »

Even out in Liskeard we have a good citybus service.  3 buses per hour to Plymouth, 1 p/h to callington, 1ph to polperro, 1ph to Padstow. Not bad for a town with less than 10,000 people.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: