27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 05:46:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Nailsea & Backwell Station  (Read 59317 times)
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2009, 15:00:55 »

Agreed, John.

But if it is to be card only, why install half a dozen (showing my age!) concrete bollards around it Huh

Probably because the criminals aren't switched on enough to distinguish between a card only ticket machine and a cash collecting one Tongue (not meaning to sound harsh)

Grin Grin Grin Grin
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2009, 18:41:43 »

Agreed, John.

But if it is to be card only, why install half a dozen (showing my age!) concrete bollards around it Huh

Probably because the criminals aren't switched on enough to distinguish between a card only ticket machine and a cash collecting one Tongue (not meaning to sound harsh)

would be more concerned with illegal card readers  and pin cameras like the cash machine scam
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2009, 10:54:55 »

I feel that this image is somewhat appropriate on the subject of bollards Wink

Enjoy... Cheesy

Grin Grin Grin Grin
TheLastMinute

This really isn't worth reading.

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2009, 14:29:49 »

I've got to be honest, it took me a minute or 2 to work it out...

LOL (laughing out loud)  Cheesy
John R

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2009, 19:08:01 »

For a moment I thought that was the new station buildings under construction at Nailsea.  Grin
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2009, 21:36:18 »

Update on the ticket machine saga at Nailsea & Backwell:

Today, a large team of contractors were on site, removing the surviving ticket machine from the footpath under platform 1 and re-installing it, together with another brand new machine, at the bottom of the steps to platform 2.

Both machines were up and running this evening, offering sales by cash or card.  While they have not yet been installed, I understand shelters will also be fitted.

However, CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) will not be a feature.  Apparently, while CCTV was installed (at a cost of ^5,000) at Worle (in response to the attack on a passenger who challenged youths vandalising the ticket machine there - see http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=3800.0), there is no money available now to install it at Nailsea.  It's part of a 'development plan', but no timescale is known.

Now, pardon me if I'm missing the point here, but if FGW (First Great Western) are prepared to install two ticket machines, each costing ^20,000, isn't another ^5,000 for CCTV protection for such an investment worth including?

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2009, 22:40:54 »

SWT (South West Trains) have an S&B TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) at Sholing on the Netley line that has a heavy duty exterior casing and an integral roller shutter mechanism. Not sure what time of day the shutter comes down, but I wonder if N&B Is the sort of location a machine like this should be used?

Paul
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2009, 22:53:45 »

To be honest, it probably is, Paul - but if FGW (First Great Western) baulk at ^5,000 for CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision), they'll baulk at whatever such industrial strength casings and shutters cost, too!  Roll Eyes

FGW seem content with installing 5 concrete bollards: I'm sure the Top Gear team could demonstrate that those offer no protection against a stolen 4x4, driven with even moderate determination, but there we go ...  Huh
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 23:06:22 by chris from nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2009, 20:42:39 »

... and, in another exciting (?) update from me, there have been a couple of recent developments:

On Monday morning, there were two chaps struggling to lift a whole pre-fabricated perspex shelter unit up and over the two ticket machines (impeded by those concrete bollards, which were clearly getting in their way).  To be fair, when I checked on my way home on Monday evening, that whole shelter unit was actually installed - apparently protecting both of our ticket machines from the elements.  Good news, I thought!

However, on Tuesday morning, while their shelter was covered in a fairly deep layer of snow, both machines were having yet another hissy fit, probably because they'd been out in the cold wind all night - so neither machine was actually selling tickets, yet again.

And this morning ... I arrived at the station, to find both machines were cordoned off with FGW (First Great Western) yellow-and-black tape - because they had both had their screens smashed.

So, just to sum up: in the past two days, FGW have installed a shelter, which has achieved nothing in terms of improving reliability of the machines; and their failure to install any CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) coverage means that the attack(s) on the screens will probably remain unsolved - with no record of the identity of the offender(s) / index number(s) of any vehicle(s) / specific time(s) of the offence(s).

Now, I'm sorry if I'm beginning to sound like Victor Meldrew, but this is my money, as a fare-paying passenger, that FGW are wasting ...  Angry

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2009, 21:08:04 »

Sorry to hear that you are continuing to experience problems with your local ticket machines Chris. Gosh I sound a bit like a FGW (First Great Western) customer services letter!

Sadly at some stations it was always asking for trouble installing them as has been proved a number of times which is a shame as they are very useful. FGW may have to rethink their strategy for those stations who continually have their ticket machines vandalised like not re-installing new ones once they are vandalised.
TheLastMinute

This really isn't worth reading.

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2009, 15:18:54 »

Well, both machines had their screens replaced and at least one of them was fully working as of yesterday morning. The other had a replacement screen it was refusing to respond to a touch!
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 13, 2009, 19:34:37 »

Well, both machines had their screens replaced and at least one of them was fully working as of yesterday morning. The other had a replacement screen it was refusing to respond to a touch!

Maybe that's why the screens are always getting broken, because you have to thump them to get anywhere!  Wink

I don't think there can be any such thing as a vandal-proof ticket machine though. There always has to be a coin slot to push gum into, buttons to attack with a cigarette lighter, as screen to smash, etc. etc. I think the closest I have seen are the PERTIS (Permit to travel) "permit to travel" machines, but it sounds like those are out of favour these days since they allow people travelling from penalty fares stations to (legitimately, it must be said) travel for 5p as long as they don't encounter a ticket examiner or station with an open booking office on their travels.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #102 on: March 31, 2009, 22:07:34 »

... and again, this morning, both machines had been attacked, with their screens smashed:

Rather bizarrely, the sign on the machine on the left refers to using a machine on Platform 1 - but there's never been a machine on Platform 1!  In fact, that particular machine is the one that was relocated from the footpath under Platform 1, to its present 'prime target' site under Platform 2.  And, to add insult to injury, so to speak, our local cheery chap didn't have his Avantix (Ticket Issuing System used on board trains) machine either, as that is currently also being repaired Huh

However, due to the stirling efforts of our local chap to get the problem reported and resolved, I'm glad to be able to report that both ticket vending machines were working again this evening:

devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2009, 22:13:08 »

Is the area covered by Cctv? Would it be possible to enclose the machines behind shutters at night? Perhaps better sighting? The one at Paignton never seems to get vandalised, despite how lively it is around station square past midnight!!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2009, 22:32:49 »

Unfortunately, devon_metro, there is no CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) covering these machines - previous posts in this topic suggest that FGW (First Great Western) didn't want to spend ^5,000 on it, as they'd apparently prefer to spend rather more money repairing these machines, whenever they're attacked. Huh

Shutters could have been installed, certainly - but again, these two machines have been given the token protection of a perspex canopy and five concrete bollards: I suspect that a proper self-contained shelter with shutters was also beyond the budget? Huh

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
  Print  

Jump to: