Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:10:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: "new" coaches needed for heritage use ?  (Read 12950 times)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2016, 19:30:15 »

Thank you for that clarification. I understand now.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2016, 23:33:00 »

SOME steam locos would look fine hauling air conditioned mark 3 stock, if suitably liveried.

http://www.fictitiousliveries.co.uk/photo.php?S_Bulleid_swt.jpg

NOT my image, hopefully the copyright holder wont mind me quoting it, properly credited. Copyright as stated with picture.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2016, 18:50:59 »

What I'm saying is that mark 1s (and maybe the early, pre-aircon, mark 2s) are (as far as I know) the only stock allowed on the national network that looks at home behind a steam locomotive. If you were to ban mark 1s from the national network* then there is nothing for mainline-certified steam locos to haul, meaning you might as well ban steam locos from the national network as well. If you want to ban mark 1s but continue to allow steam locos, you will need to construct some new stock for the steam locos to haul because there's nothing that meets modern standards which looks the part.

* and there are good reasons why you would want to

What are the particular features of modern coaches which make them inappropriate for use with steam locomotives in your eyes? Is it the length-to-depth ratio (windows in BR (British Rail(ways))'s air conditioned stock tended to be shallower), the lack of opening lights, the lack of doors in the centre of the coach as was standard until the (IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly)) the Mark 2As, the omission of the roof ventilators, or what.

If it was worth it then these features could be added to a later Mk2 (Mark 2 coach) or the Mk3 coaches with various degrees of difficulty - with the exception of the centre door which would completely nullify the stressing!

Many, if not most, steam locomotives registered for use on the main line are already equipped with air brakes so stopping promptly has already been taken care of! There are plenty of coaches steam locomotives can haul - a lot of Mk3s off the GE lines will shortly become surplus and which could be adapted for the charter trade - all they would need is a generator van to supply the electrical train supply.
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2016, 21:33:08 »

Well the owners of Tornado seem to have found the answer, use Mk3 coaches.
I guess they will need chemical toilets added and I am not sure how well open windows will work with aircon.
They are obviously trying to set the standard for heritage trains on the main line, greater range, faster speeds and 'modern' stock.
http://www.a1steam.com/2016/10/04/tornado-get-state-o-art-charter-train/

Edit to update link - grahame
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 21:58:08 by grahame » Logged
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2016, 15:17:34 »

Wow! Prescient or what..?

(And no, I'm lousy with Lottery numbers... Sad )
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: