Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:15 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 20:25:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[249] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[57] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[38] Cornish delays
[36] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[20] Where have I been?
[20] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Twerton Station Facelift  (Read 10771 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: February 14, 2008, 11:40:43 »

An old railway station, which had become home to squatters and drug users, is being given a major facelift.The disused Twerton station, which is seen as forming a gateway to the area, is being improved after local people complained about its derelict state to Network Rail, which owns the building (link below.)
http://thisisbath.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=163490&command=displayContent&sourceNode=163316&contentPK=19867274&folderPk=89126&pNodeId=163047

The four-storey, grade II listed building was last leased in 1996.

Network Rail is tidying the inside and outside of the property to get the station ready for visiting surveyors who will decide what to do with it.

The station closed in 1917 because of the economic hardships of the First World War.

A spokeswoman for Network Rail said:

"Over the past several months, we have initiated substantial work to clear out the rubbish and to secure the building from vandals.

"We are at the early stage of inspecting the building and evaluating viable options that could potentially put the building back to functioning use."

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 14:28:34 »

An old railway station, which had become home to squatters and drug users, is being given a major facelift.The disused Twerton station, which is seen as forming a gateway to the area, is being improved after local people complained about its derelict state to Network Rail, which owns the building (link below.)
http://thisisbath.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=163490&command=displayContent&sourceNode=163316&contentPK=19867274&folderPk=89126&pNodeId=163047

The four-storey, grade II listed building was last leased in 1996.

Network Rail is tidying the inside and outside of the property to get the station ready for visiting surveyors who will decide what to do with it.

The station closed in 1917 because of the economic hardships of the First World War.

A spokeswoman for Network Rail said:

"Over the past several months, we have initiated substantial work to clear out the rubbish and to secure the building from vandals.

"We are at the early stage of inspecting the building and evaluating viable options that could potentially put the building back to functioning use."

Now here's a novel thought, how's about a 'Railway Station'.

An old railway station, which had become home to squatters and drug users, is being

I know of a relatively new one that could fit that description considering the nasties that await ealry Trowbridge commuters. And as to vandals, the destruction of the original building was verging on the criminal.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/allan.tidmarsh/GWR-trowbridge/GWR-layout-project.htm

Tim

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 16:39:21 »

It is my understanding that although Twerton station wasn't reopened after the war, Oldfield park was opened nearby some years later.  I think that oldfieild park station is probably too close to justify reopening Twerton station.  Also, Twerton is on an elivated site accessible by steep steps which would never pass the current regulations. 
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 07:46:53 »

Thanks for the potted history of Bath stations Tim, I wasn^t aware of the background to the Twerton closure, and as you rightly say they are certainly too close to make re-opening justifiable.

The post actually prompted me to Google for info about the original Trowbridge station as I^d not previously seen pictures of it. Without actually having seen the condition it was in prior to it been bulldozed it certainly looks to be a far more interesting building than the one we now have to put up with. Whether the platform canopies were still in existence at the time I don^t know but they would certainly be nice to have now.
Graz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 09:18:52 »

^ Definitely, especially seeing Trowbridge is one of the busiest stations I know now. Warminster and Bradford-on-avom have canopies and those stations aren't nearly as busy. In my view Trowbridge should have them on both platforms as well as more announcement speakers (There's just one on the booking office), a waiting room on the southbound platform and info screens on the platforms and in the booking hall.

As for Twerton station, I can't see it reopening as I can walk from there to Oldfield Park station in 15 minutes! The station would serve the eastern end of Twerton whilst Oldfield Park serves the western end of the Oldfield Park area, and both areas neighbour each other. In my view one west of Bath Spa serving Batheaston/London Road area might be a better idea.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 10:17:03 by Graz » Logged
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 09:39:52 »

As for Twerton station, I can't see it reopening as I can walk from there to Oldfield Park station in 15 minutes! The station would serve the western end of Twerton whilst Oldfield Park serves the eastern end of the Oldfield Park area, and both areas neighbour each other. In my view one west of Bath Spa serving Batheaston/London Road area might be a better idea.

Completely agree with you. My first thought was that the only possible argument in favour of reopening might be if the rugby or football club ever started attracting enormous crowds on a regular basis, as I believe their ground is at Twerton (I'm a cricket man myself so I confess I've never been there) - but on reflection the more likely scenario is that they'd build a new stadium somewhere outside the city then in any case. Hopefully to the west, as you say!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 11:11:58 by Phil » Logged
Graz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 10:55:51 »

Whoops I meant Twerton station is to the east and Oldfield Park to the west of their areas, respectively! I mentioned it was 15 minutes if you go from the two places along the Lower Bristol Road, but probably even less if you were to take the back footpaths and alleys that run along adjacent to the railway track!

I agree that it could potentially be useful for Bath City on the Twerton Park ground but then again, I doubt very few people come from outside Bath to see Bath City. Smiley  I would love to see the station buildings preserved though.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 11:09:03 »

Here are some pics (link below.)
http://www.bristol-rail.co.uk/twertonstation.php

Quote from the above link :

This Grade II listed building opened on 16th December 1840 and closed on 2nd April 1917. It was renamed Twerton on Avon on 1st August 1899.

The footbridge at this station was removed to Shrivenham in 1923.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 09:12:30 »

From the Bath Chronicle

A petition to reopen the abandoned Twerton railway station received a mixed response from residents on social media.

The station, which was shut 100 years ago to save money during the First World War, still stands next to the railway fly-over on Lower Bristol Road.

Sean Dudden, from Twerton Residents Community Group, believes it could be used by thousands every day and created a video to emphasise his point.

Mr Dudden said: “I first suggested this to the council a couple of years ago now because of the congestion around Twerton.

Twerton Station was closed in 1917 ... and a new station opened around 600 metres up the line at Oldfield Park in 1929.   Whilst I appreciate that Oldfield Park has done very well, I fear that a second station close by would simply abstract traffic from it and slow down services (if calling at both) or thin out services (if calling at one and not the other) to the mutual detriment.

Sean Dudden does not agree with me - we have been having a discussion on Facebook ( a thread on disused stations ) and he has failed to convince me that the station would generate new traffic to justify itself, or sort out other issues such as environmental and wellbeing ones which could also sway my view.   Would be interested in member's thoughts here.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 09:19:47 »

Is that 600m as the croy flies, or in travelling distance too?

If the latter he stands no chance, unless 10,000 houses got built right outside.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 09:31:16 »

Is that 600m as the croy flies, or in travelling distance too?

If the latter he stands no chance, unless 10,000 houses got built right outside.

Probably less than 1 km on foot.   There are cases (Culrain to Invershin) for example where two stations very close to one another exist for good reason (though I understand a footpath between those two has melted that reason away) but I find it hard to find such reason at Twerton; that could be my lack of local knowledge though.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2017, 20:08:32 »

It's 11 minutes for a 0.5 mile walk according to Google maps. I recognize the building from when I used to live and work in Bath but I don't think I'd ever realized it was an old station.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2017, 20:45:51 »

As has been said, given the relative closeness of Oldfield Park, I really can't see Twerton being a runner.

The final nail in the coffin is that the cost would be more than £10 million - double track station, six coach platforms (at a guess), DDA» (Disability Discrimination Act - about) compliant access etc.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2017, 22:21:10 »

Track capacity will also be an issue, even more so with no sign of electrification between Bath and Bristol. If you are going to reopen any station along this stretch of line Saltford is the way to go.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2017, 19:43:33 »

Yes, Saltford please!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: