Delayed
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 13:14:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[279] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[220] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[109] On reservations, fees and supplements - Interrail
[37] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[33] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[16] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18
  Print  
Author Topic: More dangerous overcrowding to the Westcountry  (Read 88105 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2017, 10:49:20 »

If one more WoE train ran into Marylebone then another busy route would have had one less as it was handling as many as it sensibly could.  Was there a reason Waterloo wasn’t used this year?

Ah, but there was a plan! SWR» (South Western Railway - about) ran 4 tph all day yesterday between Reading and Waterloo (as well as a few longer trains from Exeter). So GWR (Great Western Railway) should - logically* - have been running the trains unable to get into a terminal (and perhaps even some extra ones) to Reading, telling people "change there to one of the frequent trains to Waterloo".

Do you mean to say they didn't do that? Did the stitches joining up the thinking come apart?

* Yes, I know ...
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2017, 11:26:51 »

It was a shame GWR (Great Western Railway) didn’t run to Waterloo yesterday. I couldn’t see a reason why.

If I had been travelling back up from the Southwest yesterday I’d have traveled on a Reading service and changed there for Waterloo. But that’s me, most will always opt for the direct service and I get that from the less hassle factor of changing. Of course when you have a much less frequent direct service operating the trains are always going to be full; especially from the SW.

Wouldn’t have been surprised if the SW-Reading services were quite lightly loaded.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2017, 11:41:09 »

Ongoing problems today.....

07:41 Penzance to London Paddington due 13:15 has been previously delayed, has been further delayed at Tiverton Parkway and is now 21 minutes late.
This is due to overcrowding.
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2017, 12:39:08 »

Only had to travel between Temple Meads and Weston on the way home from work last night - on one of the Marylebone to Penzance services (1610 from BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI))), I've honestly never seen an HST (High Speed Train) so overcrowded, not just with people but the amount of luggage that was being carried.
Was talking to a lady that got on who had three cases that had a reserved seat but literally couldn't find anywhere to put her luggage as the racks etc were already full, she was travelling down to Truro so good luck to her !

Earlier in the day, platform 3 was 4/5 deep all the way from Bonapartes to the help desk area, luckilly a 9 car service was due for Leeds, but goodness knows how many of those made it.

Of course the area was worse than normal with the Cross Country strikes yesterday and the random timetable that seemed to be running in the area
Southernman

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2017, 20:23:35 »

South Eastern are making a rare foray into Waterloo since Boxing Day with some of their Kent services. May be this was a reason why GWR (Great Western Railway) didn't operate into Waterloo?
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2017, 20:45:59 »

Ongoing problems today.....

07:41 Penzance to London Paddington due 13:15 has been previously delayed, has been further delayed at Tiverton Parkway and is now 21 minutes late.
This is due to overcrowding.

Elsewhere on these forums, the need for an improved service between London and Plymouth has been discussed, primarily to attract business travellers.
I wonder what a business traveller boarding at Plymouth today or yesterday would have thought ? "never again" I expect! Remembering that today is a normal working day.

Events like this make all the agonising over details seem rather pointless if business users cant even get on the train, much less get a seat.
And yes I know that it is their fault for travelling just after Christmas.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2017, 09:03:35 »

I very much doubt there were many business travellers yesterday, though with the arrival of the 802 fleet imminent, by this time next year many WoE service should have about 20% more seats.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Sleepy

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2018, 16:44:37 »

All ready for more media GWR (Great Western Railway) on Thursday ? The why don't they run more/ longer trains brigade will tweet like crazy !!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2018, 17:25:19 »

All ready for more media GWR (Great Western Railway) on Thursday ? The why don't they run more/ longer trains brigade will tweet like crazy !!

Can you blame them?
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2018, 17:27:46 »

Well they are but it probably still won’t be enough. We Brits have this obsession with all wanting to travel at once when it comes to bank holidays.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2018, 08:08:30 »

Well they are but it probably still won’t be enough. We Brits have this obsession with all wanting to travel at once when it comes to bank holidays.

At this time of year, "It's the customer's fault for travelling/no-one forced them to get on the train" is almost up there with "Oooooooooooos gunna pay for it?" on the Coffee shop forum Bingo card!  Wink
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2018, 08:19:41 »

It might not be as bad this year as in some previous years, on account of the rather poor weather that is forecast.
Many passengers will have made arrangements some time in advance and are unlikely to alter arrangements due to moderately adverse weather.
I doubt however that many potential customers will look at the weather and say "It looks lovely, lets pop down to see aunt Hilda, you know that she wants to see the children again"

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2018, 08:37:53 »

At this time of year, "It's the customer's fault for travelling/no-one forced them to get on the train" is almost up there with "Oooooooooooos gunna pay for it?" on the Coffee shop forum Bingo card!  Wink

I posted elsewhere about some of the forward looking thought at yesterday's Transport Knowledge Hub in Bristol, covering the South West - and that was a qualified positive post.

Alas, I'm struck by the difference between Highways England - "We have just completed a great strategic road through the open countryside north of Exeter to Cornwall" and the speaker's view of "we can't justify a strategic rail link through the open countryside north of Exeter toward Cornwall because there's no-one much in that open countryside".   Dual Standards.

Also I was struck by the suggestion that the lines are currently at capacity and more passing place are needed on them.   Can't help feeling that someone's confused into thinking that the line from Exeter to Taunton is largely single, just like the line from Exeter to Salisbury is ... and that the fact that many trains are shorter than they need be is overlooked.

A little bit of arithmetic ... from Taunton to Exeter, come new timetables ... 2 x XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) trains per hour at 5 carriages each, one x GWR train at 9 carriages super-fast and one x GWR train ever 2 hours semi-fast - I make that 23 or 24 carriages per hour.  Capacity, even at just one passenger train every 15 minutes - 40 carriages if they were all 10 car.      For how long would 66% growth in capacity be enough?   In chatting with the speaker briefly after the talk, I got the impression that the 'longer train' option may be an inconvenient option as it provides an interim solution that could muddy progress towards even greater capacity via capital expenditure on the current routes - especially via Salisbury.   For sure the extra trains will cost money - but doesn't that money need to be spent in addition to infrastructure anyway if there's to be more capacity on the infrastructure in future years - not much good having a railway that can take 60 carriages per hour if there are only 25 carriages available!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2018, 08:43:51 »

It might not be as bad this year as in some previous years, on account of the rather poor weather that is forecast.
Many passengers will have made arrangements some time in advance and are unlikely to alter arrangements due to moderately adverse weather.
I doubt however that many potential customers will look at the weather and say "It looks lovely, lets pop down to see aunt Hilda, you know that she wants to see the children again"

I think the sudden impulse to see a Devon or Cornwall based Aunt Hilda would be tempered somewhat by the cost of walk up fares at this time of year and the prospect of an extremely expensive sardine experience of several hours duration.

I'm afraid she'll have to wait to see the children, but on the upside she gets to eat the Easter eggs herself  Smiley
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2018, 11:09:23 »

Surely the cost of walk-on fares doesn’t alter at all?  Very expensive if you involve London or Reading or places like that, but still pretty reasonable if you are going from, say, Taunton to Exeter, which is probably more likely to be the sort of journey involved to go to see Aunt Hilda on the spur of the moment.

Expect hellish conditions on many trains on Thursday afternoon, Friday morning and most of Monday with the usual ‘jam tomorrow’ caveat that more capacity should be available for Easter next year onwards.  That’s provided GWR (Great Western Railway) can train up enough staff of course, their recent track record not exactly inspiring confidence.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18
  Print  

Jump to: