Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
Additional 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 19:10:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18
  Print  
Author Topic: More dangerous overcrowding to the Westcountry  (Read 87427 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 04, 2020, 16:07:25 »

"there is no spare rolling stock, we cant justify obtaining rolling stock for exceptional events such as easter, summer weekends, beginnings/ends of university terms, football matches, Christmas, rugby matches, bank holidays, school holidays, Glastonbury, surfing events, pop concerts, and other rare events"

And just to make certain that no spare capacity is available in future, we intend to scrap as many existing trains as possible, once some of the new ones arrive.

The new trains should be adequate in mild weather and during months when none of the above exceptional events take place.

Some years have passed since I wrote the above.
And there DOES seem to be a great rush to "scrap as many existing trains as possible" in order to return to the default position of "there is no spare rolling stock"

Another victory for my crystal ball.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 04, 2020, 16:13:32 »

As far as I know, using 12-car 387s for crowd busting at Cardiff events is still the plan and now possible with the Severn Tunnel electrification.  Not that there will be any large sporting events or concerts for a while.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 05, 2020, 14:32:50 »

As far as I know, using 12-car 387s for crowd busting at Cardiff events is still the plan and now possible with the Severn Tunnel electrification.  Not that there will be any large sporting events or concerts for a while.

Will enough 387s be available to run extra 12 car services in connection with special events in Cardiff ?
Prior to the pandemic reducing travel, I recall many short formed 387 commuter services due to "more trains than usual needing repairs"
That suggests to me that the 387 fleet is not quite sufficient for day to day services, without any spare units available for special events. Would they reliably have 6 units (two 12 car trains) for special events.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 05, 2020, 14:40:52 »

The majority of events are at weekends - although agreed not all.   That should mean there are 387 units available.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 05, 2020, 17:56:49 »

Indeed.  And, since the Dec timetable change, I can hardly recall any short forms on weekdays 387 services either.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 05, 2020, 19:06:08 »

The majority of events are at weekends - although agreed not all.   That should mean there are 387 units available.
And the Friday night internationals are a thing of the past too, which fans hated because of having to take time off work, and the difficulty of travelling home afterwards.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 05, 2020, 19:51:07 »

Not as much as the Welsh Rugby Union hated them!
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 21, 2020, 14:12:21 »

Yesterday I travelled from Paddington to the south west and had an entire carriage to myself until Taunton. It was probably a once in a lifetime experience, recorded here for posterity.

Full marks to the railway for its handling of the journey. Zero marks to the idiot passenger who removed her mask deliberately to sneeze into her hand before putting her mask back on again.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 14:17:23 by Andy » Logged
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 03, 2020, 15:54:55 »

Overcrowding.....not something we've seen for a while.....earlier service cancelled?

12:04 London Paddington to Penzance due 17:12
Facilities on the 12:04 London Paddington to Penzance due 17:12.
This is due to overcrowding.
Catering is reduced throughout.
Additional Facilities Information
Due to overcrowding issues, there is no Catering available in the front 5 coaches of this service.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 03, 2020, 16:30:42 »

The number of through services to Penzance has been increased back nearer to normal in the last timetable change - but there has always been a gap between the 10:04 and 12:04, with the 11:04 only going as far as Plymouth.  From 14:04 they then run hourly to Penzance up to and including the 18:04.    Other services run only as far as Plymouth at 13:04, 16:37, 18:37, 19:04 and 20:04.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #220 on: August 03, 2020, 16:37:45 »

Overcrowding.....not something we've seen for a while ...

Indeed.   Mind you, people are coming back to the trains.  I was near Melksham station when the 13:39 to Westbury called today and observed (as best I could) 8 off and 6 on.  Not exactly masses, but this is one of the quietest services in the day,  and we would not have been unhappy with those numbers this time last year.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Jamsdad

View Profile Email
« Reply #221 on: August 04, 2020, 15:55:42 »

Still no sign of the Golden Hind ( sorry 0505 Penzance- Padddington) re starting. So impossible at present to be in London before mid-day at present ( 1134 to be precise). And of course  still no sleeper accommodation. Undecided Cry
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 04, 2020, 17:53:07 »

Still no sign of the Golden Hind ( sorry 0505 Penzance- Padddington) re starting. So impossible at present to be in London before mid-day at present ( 1134 to be precise). And of course  still no sleeper accommodation. Undecided Cry

"Recent passenger surveys show that only a very small percentage use the sleeper service. Most passengers would prefer one of our improved faster daytime services.
Others would prefer an at seat sleeping service"

I suspect that the survey has already been done, in secret of course so as to produce the correct result.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #223 on: August 04, 2020, 18:44:32 »

"Recent passenger surveys show that only a very small percentage use the sleeper service ...

Not good logic.  Only 1 in 1150 journeys on the UK (United Kingdom) rail network is to or from Taunton ...  That's 0.09% - so let's close Taunton Station ....

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 04, 2020, 18:54:40 »

"Recent passenger surveys show that only a very small percentage use the sleeper service. Most passengers would prefer one of our improved faster daytime services.
Others would prefer an at seat sleeping service"

I suspect that the survey has already been done, in secret of course so as to produce the correct result.

We asked 200 Bentley owners around Rock:

"Which do you prefer?
a) A slow overnight sleeper train which is often late or cancelled?
b) A fast daytime ride in one of our new IETs (Intercity Express Train), which could make it from Cornwall* to London in under 3¾ hours?

*From western side of Albert Bridge
If it didn't stop on the way"

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18
  Print  

Jump to: