Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:55 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
* Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningShort Run
16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
Delayed
17:57 Reading to Basingstoke
18:37 Basingstoke to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 17:59:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[280] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[77] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[53] Cornish delays
[50] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[28] Where have I been?
[27] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Facing in the opposite direction?  (Read 18518 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2016, 10:07:18 »

I don't doubt that there will be accusations of bias, however it was quite proper of Virgin to release the information & CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) footage, it is clearly in the public interest to expose someone who aspires to the highest office in the land if he tells lies or half truths to further or promote his own ideologies.

Yes, you are quite right. He is the author of his own misfortune.

I suspect a bit more thought will go into the next Corbyn PR (Public Relations) stunt.

I doubt it on past form.

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2016, 11:52:49 »

From The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

Who, What, Why: When can you sit in a reserved seat on a train?

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has been criticised after being filmed sitting on the floor on a Virgin train when there were apparently seats available. So, on a busy train, can you sit in reserved but empty seats?

You can sit in reserved seats on inter-city trains if the person who made the reservation doesn't turn up

But there's no signage that tells you to do this

etc

Long (magagize) article ... not sure I would agree all the facts - for example I thought that the UK (United Kingdom) had a 10 minute rule that you should take up your seat within that time of departure or forfeit the reservation.  I would also suggest that you can sit in a seat that states it's reserved at any time, provided you're prepared to move without fuss should the person who's reserved it turn up.  You can, of course, also sit in a reserved seat if it's your reservation  Wink - obvious ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2016, 13:09:50 »

I would also suggest that you can sit in a seat that states it's reserved at any time, provided you're prepared to move without fuss should the person who's reserved it turn up. 

A strategy I have used several times with mainly success.

Now, please!
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2016, 13:59:02 »

A strategy I have used several times with mainly success.

And taught me by my father who used it regularly as a National Serviceman coming home on packed trains out of Euston in the late 1950's.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2016, 15:21:38 »

That one doesn't wash - they flew home on flight BA2016, in a British Airways Boeing 747-436, G-CIVA. Not a Virgin to be seen in any of the pictures, of which we have all been reminded following the attempt to help us forget. And whilst it is not the confessional, Virgin risks being accused of political bias by releasing such detailed information and CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) footage.

That is my point, by generating their own story, the positive coverage of the BA» (British Airways - about) Olympic flight is overshadowed.  I expect Virgin would have released the footage anyway (after all Branson and Corbyn have had run ins before over Branson being domiciled in a low tax Caribbean island), but they sat on the footage for a week, and the timing was perfectly co-ordinated with the Olympic story - I guess it depends if you believe in coincident. 
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2016, 15:41:38 »

it was quite proper of Virgin to release the information & CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) footage

I disagree.  It was quite proper for Virgin to vigorously dispute Corbyn's story but CCTV is supposed to be used for public safety and crime prevention purposes.  Virgin used it for either political/commercial/entertainment ends and I happen to think that such a use is insufficient to justify the invasion of privacy that CCTV entails - we are told that we should accept CCTV to help defeat crime and terrorism and that is fair enough, but that is not what Virgin was doing here.

I'm no fan of Corbyn but I have to confess to a slightly irrational hatred of Richard Branson.  His business practices such as poor standards in rail franchises, his tax avoidance and tax evasion, his designs to get his claws on chunks of the NHS (Sirona Health in Bath for example) are no worse than many other businesses, but it is the fact that he combines it with a supposed social conscience and trendy lefty image that really grates with me.  Micheal O'Leary of Ryanair strikes me as fairly unlovable, but at least he doesn't pretend to be anything other than a ruthless businessman and I have a grudging respect for his honestly in that regard.  Branson on the other hand....

Never trust an ex-hippy.     
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2016, 17:11:18 »

Never trust an ex-hippy.     

Like, gee thanks, man!

Now, please!
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2016, 16:54:26 »

it was quite proper of Virgin to release the information & CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) footage

I disagree.  It was quite proper for Virgin to vigorously dispute Corbyn's story but CCTV is supposed to be used for public safety and crime prevention purposes.  Virgin used it for either political/commercial/entertainment ends and I happen to think that such a use is insufficient to justify the invasion of privacy that CCTV entails - we are told that we should accept CCTV to help defeat crime and terrorism and that is fair enough, but that is not what Virgin was doing here.

I'm no fan of Corbyn but I have to confess to a slightly irrational hatred of Richard Branson.  His business practices such as poor standards in rail franchises, his tax avoidance and tax evasion, his designs to get his claws on chunks of the NHS (Sirona Health in Bath for example) are no worse than many other businesses, but it is the fact that he combines it with a supposed social conscience and trendy lefty image that really grates with me.  Micheal O'Leary of Ryanair strikes me as fairly unlovable, but at least he doesn't pretend to be anything other than a ruthless businessman and I have a grudging respect for his honestly in that regard.  Branson on the other hand....

Never trust an ex-hippy.     

The ICO website suggests releasing CCTV footage clearly showing an individual to the media for entertainment purposes is a data protection breach. It goes on to say for crime purposes etc footage should only be released by the police.

The reason he didn't take a single seat was so that he could sit with his wife, who ironically isn't sitting with him on the floor in his video footage.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2016, 08:42:11 »

What are the rules regarding customers filming on trains without permission I wonder?

I know that filming on Network Rail property/stations requires an application and written permission.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2016, 12:33:29 »

I know that filming on Network Rail property/stations requires an application and written permission.

I'm sure the dozens of peeps who film steam trains etc don't have (myself and others on this forum included)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2016, 12:56:26 »

"We have lots of chairs, but you can sit on the floor if you think it'll make people like you...":

http://www.bristol247.com/channel/news-comment/daily/news-wire/bedminster-chalk-board-sign-goes-viral

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2016, 16:09:22 »

I'm sure the dozens of peeps who film steam trains etc don't have (myself and others on this forum included)

I think it refers to actual crews filming at stations (ie making films) rather than trainspotter activity but I'm happy to be corrected.....there are of course security implications as well as H & S etc.

https://filming.networkrail.co.uk/faq.aspx
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2016, 22:07:43 »

I'm headed for Scotland tomorrow and don't have a seat reservation.

Which train does the panel advise me to catch if I wish to get a seat?  Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2016, 22:12:29 »

Travelling alone or with a companion who must sit with you except whilst you film yourself?

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2016, 22:15:53 »

Travelling alone or with a companion who must sit with you except whilst you film yourself?

Grin

Travelling with my trusty laptop, and without a film crew or a wife in this instance.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: