I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:55 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:59:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Cornwall signalling upgrade - ongoing discussion, merged topics  (Read 39257 times)
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2018, 20:08:53 »

Got sight of the publicity leaflet for the March Redruth and environs work today. Seems that for the four days of the work First Kernow buses will accept rail tickets west of Truro on any route whether directly related to the rail network or not. So in effect free travel on FK (First Corridor (carriage)) to any rail station or destination providing a train ticket covering the approximate routing for the ticket is held. So a Journey, on buses, say to Sennen from Chacewater would be covered throughout by a Truro - Penzance Rail Ticket. 
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2018, 21:00:55 »

Wouldn't it be cheaper to simply buy the equivalent bus ticket
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2018, 21:05:01 »

Wouldn't it be cheaper to simply buy the equivalent bus ticket

Not sure off peak rail times, but peak time the £12 first day bus ticket would definitely be cheapest

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2018, 22:51:21 »

You obviously haven't seen First Kernow's fares. Most rail journeys are significantly cheaper than their bus equivalent.
FarWestJohn

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2018, 17:08:24 »

I was going to book up a trip from Perranwell to Salisbury on 21st or 28th April. GWR (Great Western Railway) site says line closed for signalling work. But when I go on the GWR site to book ticket there is no mention of a bus on travel details.  Is this work still on? If so I will re arrange to the Friday. All very confusing.
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2018, 19:10:41 »

21st - bus St Austell - Plymouth,  28th should be ok, but....

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2018, 21:50:53 »

Lack of details might be something to do with this.... http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=19385.0
FarWestJohn

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2018, 12:25:53 »

Thanks. No wonder I get confused!
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2018, 19:20:06 »

Looks like phase 1 was commissioned as planned with new TD berths UM59 and DM60 (presumably for automatics UM259 and DM260) appearing in the Plymouth TD feed.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2018, 22:01:00 »

Photographs of the new arrangements can be seen here: http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/news---latest-reports-and-photographs

Warning: Photographs will appear lower down each day that passes from the date of this post.
Kernowman

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2018, 23:22:01 »

It appears that most of the new signals are in position now (thought the new ones west of Truro have yet to be commissioned). I have noticed however that some of the new home signals seem quite poorly sited particularly on the down line. Home signals at Menheniot, Redruth and Hayle all appear to be sited a short distance before the stations themselves. Surely it makes more sense to position the home signals just after the stations (like what's been done at Bodmin Parkway)? This rules out the need for a train for having to stop twice, waiting at a signal can be done whilst passengers are getting on and off at a station. It can also be quite frustrating for a passenger waiting to get off to be held at a signal just short of your destination.

KM
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2018, 00:46:44 »

Is it so the train will clear the section as it arrives at the station so the next train can enter behind it, rather than having to wait before it departs the station?  I’m assuming these extra ones are all Intermediate Block Home signals, so the ‘Home’ signal will also be in effect the ‘Section’ signal as far as the block section is concerned?

I’m sure SandTEngineer will be able to fill us in.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2018, 10:05:02 »

It appears that most of the new signals are in position now (thought the new ones west of Truro have yet to be commissioned). I have noticed however that some of the new home signals seem quite poorly sited particularly on the down line. Home signals at Menheniot, Redruth and Hayle all appear to be sited a short distance before the stations themselves. Surely it makes more sense to position the home signals just after the stations (like what's been done at Bodmin Parkway)? This rules out the need for a train for having to stop twice, waiting at a signal can be done whilst passengers are getting on and off at a station. It can also be quite frustrating for a passenger waiting to get off to be held at a signal just short of your destination.

KM

Signals are normally provided to allow a specified minimum headway time between trains.  There are lots of other considerations, such as sighting distance and SPAD (Signal Passed At Danger) risk mitigation.  Having a signal at the end of a station platform is potentially a SPAD risk as station duties can be a distraction, causing the driver to forget the previous warning signal.  In the case of Bodmin Parkway the starting signals have been placed a trains length ahead of the platforms and can be clearly seen by a train stopped at the station, but even then the Down signal has been provided with a banner repeater signal (probably to comply with signal minimum reading time).  However, this is not always possible due to line curvature.

So in summary, its a mix and match of issues that need to be considered at a particular site.

The new signals between Truro and St.Erth are due to be commissioned next month I believe.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 12:27:40 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2018, 16:12:06 »

Signals are normally provided to allow a specified minimum headway time between trains.  There are lots of other considerations, such as sighting distance and SPAD (Signal Passed At Danger) risk mitigation.  Having a signal at the end of a station platform is potentially a SPAD risk as station duties can be a distraction, causing the driver to forget the previous warning signal.
I know this is going back a few years now but Drump Lane's Up Home seems to have been on the Plymouth side of Redruth tunnel so there must have been a significant risk back then of the driver seeing the distant at caution, stopping at Redruth and then forgetting about it until emerging from the tunnel.  Maybe even more so in the last few years when Drump Lane it was rarely switched in.  I wonder if this contributed to the decision to close it when it was in a better location for a block post than Roskear Junction although as discussed elsewhere the most likely reason would have been the cost of CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) control of Roskear and Camborne level crossings.
Cornish bobby

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2018, 05:16:20 »

KM

Signals are normally provided to allow a specified minimum headway time between trains.  There are lots of other considerations, such as sighting distance and SPAD (Signal Passed At Danger) risk mitigation.  Having a signal at the end of a station platform is potentially a SPAD risk as station duties can be a distraction, causing the driver to forget the previous warning signal.  In the case of Bodmin Parkway the starting signals have been placed a trains length ahead of the platforms and can be clearly seen by a train stopped at the station, but even then the Down signal has been provided with a banner repeater signal (probably to comply with signal minimum reading time).  However, this is not always possible due to line curvature.

So in summary, its a mix and match of issues that need to be considered at a particular site.

The new signals between Truro and St.Erth are due to be commissioned next month I believe.

Commissioning is scheduled for October this year.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: