10:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
11:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
12:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 12:46:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[298] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[82] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[56] Cornish delays
[53] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[30] Where have I been?
[29] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stations that have seen major investment/development...which one is missing ?  (Read 4732 times)
chuffed

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2016, 20:21:37 »

Paddington - too many to list
Leeds - new south entrance
Birmingham New Street - Grand central, trams etc
Manchester Victoria - trams, new footbridge
Reading - flyover etc
Newcastle - clean bright welcoming
Hull Paragon ditto

I am sure there many others!

And the one in our area.... dingy, dank, depressing Temple Meads summed up by the temporary toilets ! I just hope this toilet upgrade is not just a flash in the pan for the rest of the developments planned to bring TM(resolve) up to scratch.
Rapidash

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 07:39:56 »

Plymouth got a shiny new entrance, I think.

Paignton, Torquay and Newton Abbot have all had refurbished footbridges/lifts as well as having new bogs installed.

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 08:19:07 »

Paignton, Torquay and Newton Abbot have all had refurbished footbridges/lifts as well as having new bogs installed.

Plymouths new entrance was many years ago. Must be 15 years at least. Certainly as long as I can remember. It did have new lifts though.

I will look at the entrance though today, maybe I'm going through in autopilot and missed it

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 09:40:06 »

Swansea
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 09:40:53 »

Temple Meads is being redone with the drop off area moving and the old station shed bought back into use with new platforms and obviously it will be electrified.  

There is/was a lot of preliminary work to be done including demolishing the parcel bridge (now down) and the signalling box (still to do), but within a few years it will have had lost done to it.

BTW (by the way), I don't think it is too bad at the moment.  

simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 09:50:09 »

I beg to differ.

There is insufficient space in the booking hall, leading to too few gates to the platforms, and the area is always clogged up with people.

An alternative entrance/exit is desperately needed. The recent trial helped, but needs to be made permanent, although a major rebuild of the entrance area would greatly help.
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 10:04:45 »

Plymouths new entrance was many years ago. Must be 15 years at least. Certainly as long as I can remember. It did have new lifts though.

I will look at the entrance though today, maybe I'm going through in autopilot and missed it

The concourse was extended slightly in the last few years to bring the doors out to line up with the edge of the roof, at the same time the subway was refurbished and new toilets installed on the concourse; then most recently the lifts were refurbished.

Today

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 11:09:37 »

(Thanks to the "Blood & Custard" section of Modern Railways for this one...)

Norton Bridge.  Check out National Rail website's picture of the station at the link below.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/NTB/details.html
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 13:26:31 »

I beg to differ.

There is insufficient space in the booking hall, leading to too few gates to the platforms, and the area is always clogged up with people.

An alternative entrance/exit is desperately needed. The recent trial helped, but needs to be made permanent, although a major rebuild of the entrance area would greatly help.

I don't disagree with any of that.  What I meant is that BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) doesn't "look too shabby". 
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 13:45:11 »

I agree it is not too shabby, but is in major need of improvements,

• Improved booking, arrival area
  • Multiple sets of gates to disperse passengers quickly. Two or three trains arriving in five minutes can release a lot of passengers!
  • Improved retail outlets, including a small food shop would be very useful
  • Improved rest areas needed, especially when waiting between connections
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 14:24:11 »

There has been a recent application into some government fund towards a plan to spend £90M on a total rebuild of the current facilities at Didcot Parkway. The newspaper report is somewhat sketchy but the concept of a three storey building with a transfer deck incorporating retail and cafes has been around for a while, as has opening an entrance on the north side of the lines.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 16:15:04 »

is a "science bridge" one that has been scientifically proven to stay up as opposed to an "arts bridge" - one that looks nice but will probably fall down. 
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 16:27:53 »

All comes about from the 'Science Vale Enterprise Zone' label put over the arc between Culham Science Centre, Harwell Campus and Milton Park. There is already significant peak congestion on the A4130 from the power station site to the A34 from Milton Park and Great Western Park, let alone from the plans for an additional 6000 houses or so (plus businesses).
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2016, 17:31:44 »

Temple Meads is being redone with the drop off area moving and the old station shed bought back into use with new platforms and obviously it will be electrified.  

There is/was a lot of preliminary work to be done including demolishing the parcel bridge (now down) and the signalling box (still to do), but within a few years it will have had lost done to it.

BTW (by the way), I don't think it is too bad at the moment.  

It doesn't look too shabby, mainly thanks to the Victorian architecture, but it's certainly a bit grubby and woefully inadequate as a gateway station for one of Britain's wealthiest cities and a major tourist destination. The underpass and ticket barriers get *very* congested at peak times.

Sure, the parcels bridge has been demolished, but I believe that the signalling box is going to have to stay for far longer than envisaged due to delays in the overall Bristol resignalling project, which will mean in turn that the old train shed won't be re-instated for a while yet. As far as I know, no formal plans have been submitted for redevelopment, so it's going to be a while yet.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: