Train RunningShort Run
21:25 Evesham to London Paddington
24/04/24 00:31 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 23:23:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[243] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[107] You see all sorts on the bus.
[97] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[65] Death of another bus station?
[44] "Mayflower"
[38] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: "One in 20 dodging train fares"  (Read 10170 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2016, 15:48:17 »

I suspect the café owner wouldn't be interested - simply because the amount of admin work involved outweighs their available free time (in not serving their own customers / accounting for money taken & all that involves versus 9% of the ticket price.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2016, 16:00:00 »

As the rules stand at the moment, running a ticket agency / selling tickets has a significant annual overhead and training requirement, and in relatively recent years the commission rate payable to the selling agent has been slashed, with no contractual guarantee that I saw that it would't be slashed further.    

Five years ago there were cases that were seriously worth looking at, but with current figures I would be surprised to find more than a handful of places it would make business sense to sell tickets.    Whether the change was made by ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) as a response to perceived high profits by agencies, or whether it was done to protect the market from being flooded with new businesses looking to sell tickets is a question I have been asked, and I don't know the answer.  As I understand it, there is no sliding scale of commission rates for independent sellers, so no real incentive to set up to service the smaller stations.    We're long past the days where there was a sign at Dilton Marsh Halt that said something like "Buy your tickets from Mrs Smith at No. 9 - 3rd on the right just up the hill".

I suspect the café owner wouldn't be interested - simply because the amount of admin work involved outweighs their available free time (in not serving their own customers / accounting for money taken & all that involves versus 9% of the ticket price.

It's nothing like 9% any more, Chris!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2016, 16:45:55 »

My argument is therefore strengthened then!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2016, 16:46:50 »

I'm still of the opinion that the peak time sales kiosks used in places like Filton Abbeywood can be used more widely, with a bit of management's imagination and efforts. After all, that's what revenue management is supposed to do.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 02:53:15 »

It's nothing like 9% any more, Chris!

My argument is therefore strengthened then!

I agree with both of you.

Years ago, there was a lady with a mobile kiosk at Nailsea & Backwell, trying to sell coffee, tea and morning newspapers to Bristol (and elsewhere) commuters.  She gave up, quite understandably, because it just didn't pay its way.

Similarly, the official ticket office on the platform above was, and apparently remains, fairly neutral as to whether it's even worth opening, some mornings.

Even if you combined those two operations, I can't see that there would be any realistic business case.

By the way, the footfall for Nailsea & Backwell for 2014/15 was 450,510.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2016, 09:05:04 »

Over 260 working days/year, that's just 1750 a day - and it would definitely be fewer than that, because there is definitely a weekend footfall too.

With the advent of the Metro paper, I suspect that well less than 50% would even frequent that facility.
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2016, 09:53:09 »

Nailsea & Backwell station has seen a 100% increase in use over 10 years, so what might not of worked 10 years ago, may work now.

The presence of the Strawberry Cafe at the station, would not have helped a commercial competitor though.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2016, 10:45:22 »

Years ago, there was a lady with a mobile kiosk at Nailsea & Backwell, trying to sell coffee, tea and morning newspapers to Bristol (and elsewhere) commuters.  She gave up, quite understandably, because it just didn't pay its way.

But the coffee bicycle at Montpelier is working?

Catering / retail is a tough business; many fall but there may be opportunities.  With ticket sale commission rates set for the big, automated, online sellers such as the Trainline, and a high cost entry and annual cost, it's pretty tough for the small localised personal service to make anything like break even, even if the presence of a ticket seller and advise would generate far, far more rail business than the cost of such provision.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2016, 11:35:53 »

I think you mean the coffee tricycle at Redland.  Smiley

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2016, 11:52:04 »

Which won't be paying any form of business rates/Council tax, so far more likely to be profitable
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2016, 12:07:15 »

Kookaburra Coffee appears to be successful at Charlbury, especially now that it's (finally) moved into the station building. But I suspect it's paying minimum wage to its staff, and rail tickets are so complex that - even if you could sort the commission structure out - you need someone skilled to sell them without fouling up. Ultimately, I fear, TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) are the way forward.

Yes, and I see so many coffee carts/vans these days I refuse to believe that a train station exists where one cannot exist.

Not so sure one would succeed in Finstock or Combe, let alone Sugar Loaf, Barry Links or Denton... Wink
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2016, 22:41:57 »

The presence of the Strawberry Cafe at the station, would not have helped a commercial competitor though.

Erm, sorry, simonw, but are you referring here to the Strawberry Line Cafe at Yatton Station?  Undecided

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: