16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
Delayed
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 15:06:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[226] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[107] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[46] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[43] Signage - not making it easy ...
[9] IETs at Melksham
[8] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: GWR Weekend First New Prices  (Read 21486 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: September 10, 2016, 14:19:27 »

(Previous prices in brackets)

Travel within 1 zone £7.50 (£5)
Two zones £15 (£10)
Three zones £20 (£15)
Four/Five zones £25 (£20)

Zone map for reference https://www.gwr.com/~/media/gwr/pdfs/maps/weekend-first-pdf-060916.pdf?la=en

Whilst I think the one zone and four/five zones are good value, the two and three zone prices are now a bit steep for journeys of around an hour, hour and a half. But we knew that this would happen since the reduction in First class accommodation. As the saying goes, supply and demand with First being very busy at weekends.

Best advice, if you can, book well in advance if you want the cheapest way to travel First class on weekends.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 19:34:04 »

I'd like to see a price break between 4 & 5 zones...otherwise why have 5 zones in the first place?

It penalises up services frankly...while down services can get TAU» (Taunton - next trains)-PNZ For the price of one 4/5 zone increment of £5, up services only get Swindon/pewsey for the extra non-paid zone.

I also object to the second zone from London...its extremely small
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 19:40:44 »

I'd like to see a price break between 4 & 5 zones...otherwise why have 5 zones in the first place?

So that you have some differences on shorter journeys.  i.e. So you don't have a massive single zone at one end at £7.50

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 19:45:17 »

Some 2 zone, Plymouth to Newquay as an example is cheaper to buy a first off peak day return, so my advise is check the off peak first price before buying.

Plymouth - Newquay is good value for time taken considering how slow HSTs (High Speed Train) are on the branch!

Off peak day return £10.00 , 1st Off Peak day return £19.20

I probably had close to my £9.20 in snacks and drinks across the 2 legs!

I should add on a XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) weekend first the uplift is only £5 compared to GWR (Great Western Railway) £15.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 21:19:48 »

I also object to the second zone from London...its extremely small
Tell me about it. Travelling to/from Bath or Westbury - London, these two stations are right next to zone 2 in zone 3 where it has gone up to £20 for an hour and a half journey. I struggled to justify paying £15. £20 each way for the length of journey is too steep for me now.

They were always going to put Bath into zone 3 because of the amount of traffic to/from London.

As I said GWR (Great Western Railway) can charge these Weekend First prices because there aren't so many seats to fill now.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 21:35:36 »

Zone 2 is too close to London...£20 for an hour to Swindon? Not me....
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 21:39:33 »

I can soften the blow a little for you Chris, £15 to Zone 2 up from the previous £10.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 21:53:58 »

I can soften the blow a little for you Chris, £15 to Zone 2 up from the previous £10.

I'll soften the blow a bit more Chris. Come to Swindon and I'll buy you a pint!  Grin
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 11:30:45 »

There won't be many that will take up the offer of Weekend First between Didcot and Swindon for £15. Not there there were at £10 though either.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2016, 16:13:53 »

From my experience, Weekend First on the Penzance/Plymouth - Paddington route on a Sunday afternoon should be stopped altogether or severely restricted AND limited to advance booking. With the much reduced First class accommodation, more than once I have seen (especially) families with young children plonk themselves down at a table and pay their £15/£20, only for people holding full 1st class tickets being unable to use them as much OF the 1st class accommodation is taken by those paying a (relatively) small premium for WF.

The trains are simply too busy and overcrowded to cope with it and this represents extremely poor service for those who have paid the often astronomically priced 1st class fares-the sort of customers who one would imagine GWR (Great Western Railway) would be keen to retain and keep happy.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 20:10:06 »

I guess that's why GWR (Great Western Railway) have increased the price of Weekend First TG because of the issues you describe on their long distance services. There were times on SW services when it could get cosy with two and a half coaches, even worse with just one and a half.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 21:51:49 »

I agree 100% with TaplowGreen that subsidised tickets should not be offered on overcrowded services where others have paid an astronomically priced full fare.

Perhaps, after Weekend First is removed, we can do the same to season tickets?

<grins, ducks & runs>
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2016, 22:25:22 »

Agreed, no off-peaks in the peak to ensure all season holders get a seat!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2016, 08:02:19 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) have now started providing a customer host and trolley service on weekends with the same range of complimentaries usually found on weekdays making the new Weekend First prices slightly more palatable.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2016, 15:28:01 »

That commenced several weeks/month-and-a-bit ago?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: