10:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
15:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 15:09:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[279] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[220] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[109] On reservations, fees and supplements - Interrail
[37] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[33] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[16] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A new career in catering  (Read 13262 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 10, 2016, 18:26:09 »

From The Metro

John Prescott got bored on a train and started helping make tea in the buffet car

What new roles would you envisage for retired politicians?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 23:30:10 »

From The Metro

John Prescott got bored on a train and started helping make tea in the buffet car

Interesting. I know he was a steward in a previous life but doesn't one have to have a multitude of hygiene and safety certificates to do as much as lean on the other side of the counter? He'll be opening the doors next!

How can anyone be bored on a train - unless you end up next to a pillar erroneously described as a 'window'?
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 12:09:05 »

How can anyone be bored on a train - unless you end up next to a pillar erroneously described as a 'window'?
In a tunnel, either of stone/brick/concrete or trees? Or possibly on the southern part of the ECML (East Coast Main Line) (wide open flat terrain with little variation for several hours)?

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 12:41:51 »

On how well Corbyn sat on the floor he could be a busker  Grin

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 12:00:20 »

Hardly a long term career, buffets cars are now considered to be an unaffordable luxury on new trains, and the survey to prove that they are no longer wanted has been done.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 15:33:28 »

He's wasted on tea. He should whip something up with eggs.

Cheesy
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 09:37:28 »

I recently learnt from some Icelandic friends I met this summer, that Prescott, in 1974 as a junior backbencher, put a lot of effort, and went out on a limb against the wishes of the UK (United Kingdom) government, into brokering a peaceful end to the last cod war.  He gained a lot of respect from the Icelanders for being the voice of reason, someone who had actually been to sea and therefore knew just how dangerous the UK-Icelandic skirmishes could be, and, as MP (Member of Parliament) for Hull and Hessle, someone who actually understood something about the fishing industry. 

There is a maritime museum in Reykjavik with newspaper photos and TV footage of a tall, dark, handsome and young (but still undeniably recognisable  Smiley ) "Englendingurinn" confidently strolling around Reykjavik harbour and warmly shaking the hand of various Icelandic Coastguard captains.   
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 19:54:40 »

Iceland is indeed a wonderful place notwithstanding I was there last 36 years ago. My university colleague who joined me on that scientific mission is half Icelandic and his retired father was the British ambassador to Iceland at the time of the Third (and last) Cod War. He [the father] took a pragmatic approach to the problem –  which did not please his superiors in Whitehall.  He too was a well-respected man in Iceland, as I personally observed. There are not many career diplomats that do not retire with a knighthood – he was one of them.  The Establishment is not easily crossed.

Reviewing footage of the conflict my colleague asked …

“Do you remember the Mad Axeman?”

[… a Viking captain of an Icelandic gunboat who famously, on TV footage, waved a double-headed battle-axe at a fully armed Royal Navy frigate shouting [in Icelandic] words to the effect of “come on, if you think you’re hard enough!”]

“Yes” I said.

“That's Uncle Olaf … !”
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 20:15:05 by Oxonhutch » Logged
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 09:38:54 »

Iceland is indeed a wonderful place notwithstanding I was there last 36 years ago. My university colleague who joined me on that scientific mission is half Icelandic and his retired father was the British ambassador to Iceland at the time of the Third (and last) Cod War. He [the father] took a pragmatic approach to the problem –  which did not please his superiors in Whitehall.  He too was a well-respected man in Iceland, as I personally observed. There are not many career diplomats that do not retire with a knighthood – he was one of them.  The Establishment is not easily crossed.

Reviewing footage of the conflict my colleague asked …

“Do you remember the Mad Axeman?”

[… a Viking captain of an Icelandic gunboat who famously, on TV footage, waved a double-headed battle-axe at a fully armed Royal Navy frigate shouting [in Icelandic] words to the effect of “come on, if you think you’re hard enough!”]

“Yes” I said.

“That's Uncle Olaf … !”

Thanks for your memories. 

You might be interested in this Film which is on the iplayer for 7 months http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0074lrg  It suggests that the British Embassy came very close to being burnt down at one point. 

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 16:48:56 »

From The Metro

Interesting. I know he was a steward in a previous life but doesn't one have to have a multitude of hygiene and safety certificates to do as much as lean on the other side of the counter? He'll be opening the doors next!

.....he was a steward on an Ocean Liner, latterly when he walked into the House of Commons he was greeted with shouts of "Gin & Tonic please Giovanni!" from the Conservative benches............
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 21:52:35 »

John Prescott was also known in the House as 'Two Jags', because he owned two Jaguar cars.  He was challenged about his environmental credentials on that, by someone who suggested that John Prescott's idea of a 'park and ride' was to park one of them and ride in the other.  Roll Eyes

However, Prescott was also something of an amateur boxer, in his younger days.  His nickname was therefore changed, when he had something of a contretemps with a man who allegedly threw an egg at him: John was thenceforward known as 'Two Jabs'.  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 20:56:09 »

As Tony Blair was quoted as saying after the incident with the egg - "John is John".  Grin
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 21:07:16 »

You might be interested in this Film which is on the iplayer for 7 months http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0074lrg  It suggests that the British Embassy came very close to being burnt down at one point. 

Thanks Tim, That was indeed very interesting and I did get to finally meet 'Uncle Olaf'. A well balanced article and I can now fully understand the old Ambassador's frustration.  No mention of him - and he was long gone by the time the programme was recorded.  It appears to have been driven primarily by the MAFF and not the FO. Couldn't find the bit about wanting to burning the UK (United Kingdom) embassy though!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: