Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 08:35 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- What contributed to the Baltimore Bridge collapse?
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:48 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:30 Liskeard to Looe
09:05 Looe to Liskeard
09:35 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 08:45:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[155] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[124] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[85] Return of the BRUTE?
[67] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[29] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HERO - Heritage Electric Railway Organisation  (Read 5264 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 11, 2016, 17:07:45 »

https://www.facebook.com/groups/108569009172507/

Want to see heritage electric trains running as they were built to?
Want to see cooperation between the owners of the stock?
Want to see a preserved line do something original and electrify?
Then this is the group for you.
NOTE: There also is a Yahoo Group of the same name.

As someone who was brought up in Southern Electric territory, I would love to see ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 18:38:03 »

My thoughts turn to the Bromley North branch

http://www.londonreconnections.com/2013/the-past-and-future-of-the-bromley-north-branch/

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 22:24:13 »

It's still a very useful line, Graham.  My preference is for the Bluebell to reopen the Ardingly line as a third rail preservation line.

I too come from Southern Electric land.  I'm very much looking forward to the new Brighton Belle next year.   Too young to have travelled on it in BR (British Rail(ways)) service.  Plan to make up for that!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 04:50:52 »

It's still a very useful line, Graham.  My preference is for the Bluebell to reopen the Ardingly line as a third rail preservation line.

Very true [useful line]. Bromley North + Sundridge Park has around a million passenger journeys a year, 20 minute service.  But closed on Sunday, and I suspect that still with double track and 2 platforms at Bromley North capable of supporting a 10 minute service.  My (incomplete here) thought wondered about the spare capacity and the sharing of resources ... Whitby - Grosmont is very different in character, but an example of an already-running resource share.

For Ardingly, you do have a line previously electrified and an added draw to the Bluebell rather than a fresh setup - and that's a big advantage to "not another setup" too.  As a branch off a preserved line, you don't have the safety issued with dangerous track level electricity at the main operational points for your steam service. You do have extra costs in terms of infrastructure reconstruction and maintenance, and you have drags to get the stock online and off.  You can probably use less updated / less reliable / lower top speed stock too.

Two very different approaches ... with other approaches being something that's little more that a train-length test track somewhere, running preserved electric multiple units as carriage stock (already happening in places), or accepting that they'll be static exhibits.  Interesting, I would love to take my grandchildren on a 4EPB  or a 2HAP, and I suspect there are many, many others with south London roots who might be of similar mind. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 05:00:33 by grahame » Logged

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 08:09:01 »

I'm very much looking forward to the new Brighton Belle next year.   Too young to have travelled on it in BR (British Rail(ways)) service.  Plan to make up for that!

http://www.brightonbelle.com

The project to restore the Brighton Belle was launched at the National Railway Museum in June 2009. Since then, the dilapidated motor cars and trailers - more than 80 years old - have been progressively restored by the professional rail engineering firms, Rampart Engineering and Pindari, in the Brighton Belle Shed at Barrow Hill, near Chesterfield.

We are on schedule to conduct mainline proving trials in the final quarter of 2016, after which we will launch a mainline excursion programme. What a moment in history! The two great inter-war trains - the Brighton Belle and the Flying Scotsman - both back on the rails again in 2016! Follow our news pages for details of when you can book seats for a unique  excursion, complete with meal service.

I never tried it either ... but perhaps next year or the year after.  Or perhaps when I retire in the next decade  Wink

onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 21:28:52 »

A few electric train preservation snippets:

After a local spat, the successful EPB group is in the expensive process of moving its stock from the East Kent to the Epping Ongar line.

Finmere station, which plays hosts to some nicely presented SR(resolve) electrics may be at risk from HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)).

The ERM at Coventry has the cloud of a motor giant wanting planning permission for its site. It is just spectacularly  re-commissioning the ex-Victoria line signalling and control centre in a carriage body, probably ahead of the Swindon panel.

The Brighton Belle is really commercial as most of the cars' underneaths are now Class 421 transplants, losing originality.

The problem that this part of the heritage movement has is that it does not have a secure site, in the SE, where most of its support would be found. If the Bluebell c/wouldn't oblige, then a branch, such as Ludgershall or Fawley would suit but would need a Lottery winner's backing.

Ideas?

OTC
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 22:04:03 »

It appears there are a lot of cards and different ideas up in the air, and a fragmentation of ideas.  I asked a question on a closed group (4DD) and found that very informative too.

Wasn't Epping to Ongar electrified?

Perhaps what's needed is someone respected, with knowledge and vision, to suggest a strategy.   Or is the strategy of each group to work along to their own objectives even though achievement could be far less that if they had coherent cross working?

For me ... I have a sentimental attachement to 3rd rail electric - southern in particular.  But it's not my scene nor does it even overlap at the moment.

onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 00:04:12 »

The strategy is to find a secure site where local interest is a maximum, also an approach to propulsion.

Steam centres may tolerate a small presence but are liable to get out the cutting torch (vide a 504 and the 506). They prefer to preserve really chunky, rusty scrap.

There is cross- and net-working in that activists (such as those in the HERO) often support each others' groups with their specific skills and access to spares and artefacts. However, like the electric railway, they are widely distributed geographically, too far apart for a single activity site.

Coventry's open days are very popular with the large car park full, a heritage bus service to town and excellent trip advisor reports for the type of attraction.

Sugar daddy needed

OTC
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 10:58:05 »

To quote the Bluebell Railway's long-term plan (http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/soc/ltp.html):

Ardingly Branch

Continue enabling works for the re-construction of the line from Horsted Keynes to Haywards Heath as finance and opportunities arise.

Maintain the drainage, fences, structures and trackbed to prevent further deterioration, and to perform an annual check of the boundary of our land, so as to prevent encroachment onto our land by third parties.

To encourage volunteer groups to maintain the trackside in a condition that will ease surveying, arrest deterioration, and help the eventual re-laying of the track.

Maintain a watching brief over proposed developments that might either compromise, or assist re-opening of the branch.

Something like this would do the job nicely:

Image source: http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/extend.html

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: