Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningDelayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 01:52:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Bangor to Bristol - does anyone have any tips or warnings about that route?  (Read 34768 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: September 21, 2016, 01:30:21 »

I am currently researching the logistics of a student travelling by train from Bangor to Bristol.

I would really appreciate any tips or suggestions from our very knowledgeable members of the Coffee Shop forum to make that rail journey easier.  Wink

Just in general at this stage: we don't have any specific dates or times of travel, we're simply looking at basic tips, such as "oh, don't go via xxx because ... "  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 06:18:20 »

I'm reminded of three conversations

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=17084
and
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=15843
and
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=15499

That's overnight stops and the ban on splitting on sailrail, splitting at Chester, and the Welsh Government 'Express'.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 19:38:20 »

Also seen http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/7-cheap-trains-coach-students-6455015?

Noting that Virgin trains serve Bangor ...

We've uncovered one trick that could save you hundreds on Virgin Trains fast train tickets, and you can book up to 1-hour before travel.

The Virgin Trains homepage directs users to the journey planner section, however in the top right hand corner you'll see a 'Ticket Offers' tab - hit this box to reveal the network's best fare finder tool.

Best fare finder lists the cheapest fares on your date of travel - and divides times by morning, afternoon and evening.

How much can I save? Our test revealed an average saving of £60 - but the downside is you have to stick to a set travel time, you cannot use your railcard to further the discount, and tickets are non-refundable.

A standard off peak Manchester to London return costs £80.60 per person each-way when you book on-the-day.

However, book 24-hours before travel and you can get a ticket from £11 one-way. That's an automatic saving of £69.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 19:46:54 »

Try and get a 3-car Arriva Trains Wales Class 175 (or if the timings work out one of the loco hauled services) for as much of the journey as you can by changing at Newport, as they're lovely trains with great leg room.  Some fairly cheap advances via that route as well.  I'd recommend that above changing at Brum and probably having a horrible packed Voyager for the first leg of the journey then a much more cramped ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) Class 158 for the rest - especially in summer with the 158s dodgy air-con.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 20:00:30 »

Many thanks for those hints and tips, grahame and IndustryInsider - that's exactly what I was hoping to have, at this very early stage in my planning.  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 00:25:44 »

Try and get a 3-car Arriva Trains Wales Class 175 (or if the timings work out one of the loco hauled services) for as much of the journey as you can by changing at Newport, as they're lovely trains with great leg room.  Some fairly cheap advances via that route as well.  I'd recommend that above changing at Brum and probably having a horrible packed Voyager for the first leg of the journey then a much more cramped ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) Class 158 for the rest - especially in summer with the 158s dodgy air-con.

You read my mind!

I might also go so far as to say, timings and ticketing permitting, it may be better to stay on until Cardiff central and pick up the Bristol train there, where it starts - as long as the connection isn't too tight there will be less competition for seats - it is often a 3 car 158 through to Bristol though.

If it is possible for him/her to reach Valley airport, then there can be some pretty good prices on flights to Cardiff airport - from there a short bus ride to Rhoose where an hourly train service takes you to Cardiff central and beyond. Mon-Fri service however.

http://www.citywing.com
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 16:19:37 »

Capacity permitting, a 175 would be my preference over a Voyager as well. If you were going on the Voyager, at some times the journey planner suggests going via Crewe (potentially more changes, but often faster than the Birmingham-Holyhead class 158 through service which is slightly less-direct as it goes via Shrewsbury and Wrexham). I actually rather like the 158s (although they could do with more legroom like the 175s have), although the air-con is supposedly a bit unreliable (in winter it is the 175s you want to avoid, as they seem to like getting stuck in fridge mode). Both 158s and 175s are way better than the 150s which are liable to turn up on most ATW services as substitutes when they are short of decent trains (another warning, some Sunday services on the S.Wales-Manchester route might be booked for 150s/153s I think).

Although there are 'no specific dates or times of travel', the question didn't make clear whether the travel could be fairly soon. Just in case that is so, I thought it might be worth noting the current Severn Tunnel clousure (and I don't know whether frequent weekend closures of parts of the Cardiff-Bristol route may be necessary during the electrification project too).
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 16:32:56 by Rhydgaled » Logged

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 22:56:44 »

My grateful thanks for those additional comments and suggestions, chrisr_75 and Rhydgaled.  Smiley

Although there are 'no specific dates or times of travel', the question didn't make clear whether the travel could be fairly soon.

Thanks for that added consideration, Rhydgaled, but no: the travel I am looking at is really very general in timing - end / start of term, so nothing until December.  In which case, your observations on the quality / unreliability of the air conditioning in certain classes of unit is also very useful.  Wink

froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 21:56:59 »

We go up to Bangor quite often as my partner is from Anglesey, so know this route well. We always go via Newport (cheaper prices and much prettier route in the Welsh borders) but note that the connection times at Newport can be very tight, especially if you have luggage, as you usually need to cross over the footbridge for your connecting train (and I wouldn't recommend having to wait an hour in Newport, which we've had to do a few times.  Angry

One of the early morning services from Bangor which returns from Cardiff around 5ish is I think subsidised by the Welsh Assembly to promote business use, and serves some nice food as well as being more spacious, so worth using if it is suitable.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 22:20:12 »

Thank you for your comments, froome.  Smiley

My student is now planning travel from Bangor to Bristol on Friday 4 November, and we are indeed looking at 'via Newport', in view of the very helpful suggestions made in previous posts here.

Thanks, everyone.  Smiley

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2016, 22:46:17 »

With renewed thanks to all of those who have contributed to this discussion, I can now say that my student has arrived safely in Nailsea.

Travel was today, rather than on Friday as originally planned, but it all went remarkably well: the train left Bangor on time; the connection left Newport on time; that train arrived at Nailsea only a couple of minutes down.

Comments from my student were that the seats were initially uncomfortable, there was no WiFi on ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))), and the trolley seemed to be restricted to First Class (according to an announcement?).  The line-side scenery was apparently great in the countryside, but perhaps less so in the built-up areas.

However, from a teenager, that seemed a remarkably objective view of the journey.  Roll Eyes

Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 11:11:52 »

the trolley seemed to be restricted to First Class (according to an announcement?).
Eh? ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) don't have first class at weekends, unless they ran a rugby special yesterday and your student was on that. Even so, I don't think First Class on ATW has a trolley, when I did it it was waited service from a buffet.

Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2016, 17:03:35 »

I don't think any of the Holyhead-Cardiff services have first class on them.

They do usually (but not always) have a trolley service, but it often only operates for part of the length of the journey. I think the trolley service people operate to/from Shrewsbury, and quite often only service either to or from there, not both on the same service (at least that what announcements I've heard have implied).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2016, 17:22:13 »

I believe the 05:33 does ... after that, all the people who have worked so hard that they can afford first class will be long since on their way  Cheesy

Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2016, 17:38:52 »

I believe the 05:33 does
It does, although ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) now market it as 'business class' you still need a first class ticket to travel in that carriage I think. As far as I know Gerald* still runs Mondays to Fridays only (excluding bank holidays).

* 'Y Gerallt Gymro' AKA (also known as) 'WAG» (Welsh Assembly Government - about) Express' AKA 'Gerald' AKA 'Premier Service' AKA 'the Business Class Service'

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: