Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:55 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:01:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bangor to Bristol - does anyone have any tips or warnings about that route?  (Read 34767 times)
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2016, 19:06:28 »

I don't think any of the Holyhead-Cardiff services have first class on them.

They do usually (but not always) have a trolley service, but it often only operates for part of the length of the journey. I think the trolley service people operate to/from Shrewsbury, and quite often only service either to or from there, not both on the same service (at least that what announcements I've heard have implied).

0533 Holyhead to Cardiff and 1716 Cardiff to Holyhead Welsh Assembly Government sponsored LHCS (Locomotive Hauled Coaching Stock) trains have first class.   None of the others (unit worked) do.    Trolley service should be available between Newport & Holyhead
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2016, 21:38:39 »

With my additional thanks to all those here who have contributed their comments on the alleged 'first class only restriction' aspect of that journey, may I offer my apologies for what may well turn out to have been my student's less than precise attention paid to any such 'announcement'.

The wearing of headphones, while playing online games, does tend to result in a less than complete awareness of the realities in the outside world.

Roll Eyes Shocked Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2016, 21:43:52 »

Slightly belatedly, for which I must apologise, may I offer an update here on the return journey, last Saturday?

It, too, all went remarkably smoothly.  Departure from Nailsea was on time, arrived in Newport a few minutes late (but that was no problem, as there was a timetabled 35 minute wait for the connection).  Train to Holyhead via Shrewsbury was fine, so my student arrived safely back at Bangor, and indeed has become something of a fan of the way the railways can work.

CfN.  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2016, 22:23:14 »

The most important question is, did the person making the journey have a lovely time?

https://youtu.be/HmTov3x6vdc

Tongue Wink Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2016, 22:36:57 »

Many thanks for that particular youtube link, BNM.  Grin

I did do a search for clips of that song, about two months ago, for the benefit of my student, but at the time I could only find a rather fuzzy 'Top of the Pops' version from about thirty years ago.  Roll Eyes

For the benefit of those who have not visited Bangor: it is a lovely town, and worth a visit, if you happen to be in the area.  Wink

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2016, 22:58:33 »

With the pictures of the university, and the historic images of the railway station accompanying the song on youtube, I thought it an apt addition to the thread.

I briefly visited Bangor a couple of months ago. Only to change buses on a journey from Llandudno to Caernarfon. A rather grey day. So I didn't see much bar the bus interchange. I was on my way to Caernarfon for my first ever visit to the Welsh Highland Railway. However, as soon as I saw the bus to Bangor arriving at Llandudno I couldn't help but hum that Fiddlers Dram tune.  Smiley

When you're up that way again visiting your student CfN, I highly recommend a trip on the WHR.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 23:08:18 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2016, 00:11:31 »

When you're up that way again visiting your student CfN, I highly recommend a trip on the WHR.

As do I! While I've not been on the WHR, I have walked some of the hills surrounding various parts of its route and can confirm it is a particularly nice corner of Snowdonia. WHR also made a very impressive achievement in reopening this line both from an engineering perspective and with property/rights of way issues.

You can also make quite a good (almost) circular day trip travelling Llandudno junction to Blaenau Ffestiniog, then Ffestiniog railway to Porthmadog, followed by WHR up to Caernarfon and then by road transport of some sort back to Bangor and the north wales coast line.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2017, 15:59:57 »

Additional reason not to fly ... airline has gone bust.

Citywing tells passengers to use their flight tickets on a five-hour train journey instead

according to The Indepepndent

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
John R

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2017, 16:26:27 »

What took me aback was how much it costs in subsidy.  9,000 pax per year (averaging 8.6 per flight) at a subsidy of around £1m.  So £200 subsidy per return flight. Gosh!   How much rolling stock could ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) lease given an extra £1m per year, and how many passengers would that benefit?

Unfortunately it appears as though they have already found a replacement airline (Eastern).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2017, 17:38:38 »

How much rolling stock could ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) lease given an extra £1m per year, and how many passengers would that benefit?

Half a dozen carriages ... if they were available.

Not that simple, of course ... you have to add staffing costs and network access costs and then take away the income if you're looking to draw up a balance sheet.

Three two-car trains, each with (say) 200 journeys made on it in each peak and a further 300 during the day works out around 180,000 journeys a year - so that's around half a million journeys, or £2 support per journey.  If you can get an income of, say, £3 per journey then the operation is "break even".  But are their lines / services that could attract those extra numbers?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
John R

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2017, 17:57:13 »

Staffing costs might be limited if the stock was simply used to lengthen existing services.

The Valley Lines in particular are chronically overcrowded, with  many people unable to get on the first service. That's particularly a problem on the line up towards Pontypridd, as if you're travelling beyond Ponty but can't get on, then you have to wait another 30 mins, whereas passengers only headed that far need only wait another 10 mins.

So the benefit may not be additional traffic (although I am sure that would come), rather that instead of conveniencing around 20 return passengers each day, you could be making the daily commute easier for thousands.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2017, 19:12:34 »

What took me aback was how much it costs in subsidy.  9,000 pax per year (averaging 8.6 per flight) at a subsidy of around £1m.  So £200 subsidy per return flight. Gosh!
I never saw the fares for citywing, but the previous operator (Links Air) were offering flights between £19 and £39.  Far too low for an airline that does not offer any upsells.

I'm taking a Loganair flight next month (for a work trip).  The journey is £75 each way and is about 2.4x the length of the Holyhead-Cardiff route, so the fare is probably similar.  This is also subsidised under a PSO.  Considering train fares (about £50-70 each way) or flights to Edinburgh (about £40 each way), if the flight were any more expensive, my employer would tell me to take the slower route and stay for another night away.  Is the subsidy actually doing anything?  No, since I need to travel there regardless of what transport options are available.  In fact, it's reducing the number of nights I would be spending in a local hotel, reducing the number of times I'll be eating out, etc.

As an aside, it is good to see citywing (or the CAA» (Civil Aviation Authority - about), or the WAG» (Welsh Assembly Government - about)) arranged for ticket acceptance on the railway.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: