27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 04:36:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Busy week - taking time out  (Read 11542 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 30, 2016, 16:57:27 »

Posting in general "news" 'cos it's more personal.   

Just got home at the end of a long week of travelling around - been on 17 trains leased by 6 different operators.   Spoken with huge numbers of people from passengers who use the trains (and without whom there would be no need for a service) though the whole gambit of people who support that traffic - such as our TransWilts Volunteers through operational and management staff to directors, to other community groups and train operators and rail industry organisations, and to local government people from my home county and elsewhere, and to national government officers and a minister too.

I've attended twelve presentations (though not given any) and one award ceremony. I've carried an exhibition stand across the country and helped set it up and run it. I've watched a magician perform and learned how to make a dog out of balloons (and decided not to switch my career doing that). I've specified beginner, intermediate and advanced Python courses to run over a 16 day period, I've stripped hotel rooms, and I've provide breakfast for a whole hotel.  I've roughed out the design for a short-run trifold leaflet and had it printed - folding the first batch of 50 by hand and being relieved that the rest are delivered pre-folded.

I'm exhausted.   I will be around for emergencies - but please forgive me if I take the rest of the month off... and follow up with a news update and tell you more in October.   I'm going to take a walk with the dogs, get a Chinese takeaway, and put my feet up in front of the TV, watching a silly rom-com of the very first Christmas movies of the year.   If we have any alcohol in the house, I may even indulge a little.  Another of our number says I only drink when he's around, and I've been around him for some of the last 24 hours.

As I go off for (err) about 10 hours I close my eyes and recall the final highlights of the trip - speaking with a young person who lives in West Wiltshire and goes to college in Swindon - "This service is my lifeline - I couldn't go to college there without it" and walking through the 15:29 Chippenham departure to Westbury on its way to Melksham and counting no fewer than 77 passengers on board.    Testament not only to the team of volunteers, not only to the passengers, not only to the people who specify, run and arrange the trains - but testament to all of them.  A wonderful team and partnership - repeated elsewhere by other CRPs (Community Rail Partnership) - and I suspect repeatable in a number of other places languishing as the TransWilts did prior to 2013.

Edited only to separate the list of member 'likes' here from grahame's original text - purely for clarity. CfN.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 23:19:38 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 20:00:08 »

Posted on: Today at 04:57:27 PM
but please forgive me if I take the rest of the month off

Just a few more hours then  Wink
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 20:20:07 »

To be fair you probably deserve to have October off as well, I'm sure it's busy enough running a business and a hotel, and then add on to that the amount of work you do with the Transwilts and West Wilts User Group etc. all in your own spare time. All the campaigning and advertising you (and your team) do and the positive results this has produced, namely increasing the Melksham service from 2 to 9 services per day and hopefully more to come over the next few years or so.

Not forgetting of course the time you spend hosting and running this wonderful forum for which many of us would be lost without. So please, be our guest, put your feet up, enjoy a drink or three and have some well deserved time off.  Smiley
John R

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 20:37:55 »

and walking through the 15:29 Chippenham departure to Westbury on its way to Melksham and counting no fewer than 77 passengers on board.   

Goodness, a full train in the middle of the afternoon.  Business really is booming.

And I think many of us will echo Adelante_CCT's  comments, which very eloquently sum up your contribution to so many things.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 20:45:41 »

I used to think I crammed a lot into a day, then I met Graham and realised he did the equivalent of my day's work by mid-afternoon - and then carried on.

Just to add though it's a team effort at Well House Manor and having spent last night in the company of both Graham and Lisa, I know they are a great partnership and it was a pleasure to be with them - even if I do drive Graham to drink!  Grin
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 06:19:25 »

Happy October!     Thank you everyone for those kind words - an in fact I am away (and a very long way away) for a week in the middle of next month, visiting sister-in-law who lives on a different continent.   For the moment, however, back to a busy day following up some of the events of the last week with documentation and links. 

Key to the success of the TransWilts have been the passengers - yes, in larger numbers that most forecasts suggested. We have had a leaflet printed to explain a little about Thursday's announcement and what it means for the future, which I'm going to define as "once the service trial that's currently running on the TransWilts ends in December and over upcoming days I'll be spending a higher proportion of time than usual passing it out to passengers and answering question.  Leaflet at http://atrebatia.info/designation_leaflet_transwilts.pdf .  You may have noticed that I have not been panicking / stirring the pot about TransWilts trains beyond December, having had strong indications of where we're headed - it's good news though - as regulars will know - there are always some issues to resolve or try to resolve.

With networking, with an awards ceremony on Thursday evening that brought TransWilts one further pleasant surprise (and GWR (Great Western Railway) a pleasant overall surprise too!), there is as you've identified a lot on my plate at the moment - and I have't even said "buses".  And as I travelled home, I spoke with / networked with / bumped into other where a follow up is going to be advantageous.   Others who were in Southport (or who wiremen but know) are so welcome to follow up on the forum and help inform, and please excuse me about a few things which, inevitably I fear, may fall between the cracks and about which I may need to be nagged.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 19:30:08 »

and walking through the 15:29 Chippenham departure to Westbury on its way to Melksham and counting no fewer than 77 passengers on board.   

Goodness, a full train in the middle of the afternoon.  Business really is booming.

So please, be our guest, put your feet up, enjoy a drink or three and have some well deserved time off.  Smiley

I will ... in all seriousness .. be having some down time next month; just at the moment the flow of the happenings of the week gone, and the wanting to develop opportunities offered and to look after those key people - our passengers and wannabe passenger makes it hard for me to persuade myself to pause for too long.

Those numbers from - goodness, only yesterday - were seriously good.   When I got off the train in Melksham, I picked up some freshly printed leaflets which describe designation and the changes to the way the service will be run beyond December 10th (linked, but not the same thing) and I've been distributing them today - personally to say "thank you" to the wonderful team of staff Ive got to know on the train and along the line at the stations, and to the passengers many of whom I'm met before, and many who seem to know me from newspaper articles and the rest.  Very re-assuring to meet people who don't know me too, and when I ask them if they've heard about [...] fill me in with great and accurate detail.  It shows that the community really does take an interest and is effected by the line, even if that interest doesn't develop into active volunteer participation. It's lovely to meet new passengers as well - first time travellers discovering the line and saying "this is rather good" and to hear of new flows / reasons for people travelling by train.   I was marvelling at the cultural and background mix, and noting that the mix on the line is far more diverse than the perceived view of the mix in the towns in serves.

Anyway, as ever I was observing numbers; I'm going to note in shorthand (total number on the Trowbridge - Chippenham section / journeys to or from Melksham) with a note that Melksham traffic tends to be to / from Chippenham rather than to / from Trowbridge, and that the train is quieter on the outer ends - Westbury to Trowbridge and Chippenham to Swindon.

07:48 to Swindon: 31/13
09:46 to Swindon: 75/23
11:02 to Westbury: 23/9
11:48 to Swindon: 39/29
15:03 to Westbury: 38/10

I'm noting what look like weekday type figures on a wet Saturday, with Swindon Town playing away and just a very few people on the first train headed for their Shrewsbury game.    And I start doing risky arithmetic and come to the conclusion we're still growing.

adc82140

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 08:22:42 »

I've specified beginner, intermediate and advanced Python courses to run over a 16 day period,

What course does the Lumberjack Song appear in? What about the Dead Parrot module?  Grin
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 08:28:59 »

An act of the purest optimism to have posed the question in the first place !......
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 08:49:18 »

I've specified beginner, intermediate and advanced Python courses to run over a 16 day period,

What course does the Lumberjack Song appear in? What about the Dead Parrot module?  Grin

We can cover the use of modules such as Lumberjack on the intermediate or advanced courses which are tailored to cover third party modules.  http://lumberjack.readthedocs.io/en/latest/api.html

Parrot is a module that we could, again, tailor to cover where clients are looking to work with Python in a web environment - it's a module that checks a server's response to 'get' requests and I would hope that the response from a working server is anything but dead. https://pypi.python.org/pypi/python-parrot/1.0.2

Grin

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2016, 10:13:46 »

I though that looked a bit odd ... missed out

09:02 to Westbury: 35/8

John R

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 21:36:38 »

An average of 40 pax per train across those 6 services is seriously good for a pretty mediocre (weather-wise) October day with no obvious reason to enhance numbers.  And great to see such strong numbers from MKM» (Melksham (Station code) - next trains), particularly on the northern journeys.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2016, 22:00:33 »

An average of 40 pax per train across those 6 services is seriously good ...

And look at the direction of change ... Grin Grin

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 22:03:21 »

I though that looked a bit odd ... missed out

09:02 to Westbury: 35/8

May as well carry on here ... travelling on the trains today to update passengers and counter.

14:30 to Swindon: 23/7
15:39 to Westbury: 54/30
16:38 to Swindon: 40/12
18:03 to Westbury: 113/50
18:47 to Swindon: 19/8
19:14 to Westbury: 26/4
19:48 to Swindon: 9/3
20:32 to Westbury: 20/3

John R

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 22:38:36 »

Wow! 50 ons and offs at MKM» (Melksham (Station code) - next trains) on the 1736 ex SWI» (Swindon - next trains).  And as you've previously mentioned, the earlier southbound train is loading really well too.

As it happens I was idly speculating just now how much (if stock was available, with no extra leasing costs incurred) it would cost to do one round trip. I reckon about £100 in crew, maybe £65 in fuel per vehicle, and a small amount on track access (maybe £4).  I have no idea of any marginal vehicle maintenance costs, but lets round it up to £200 per day. Or £50,000 a year. Am I on the right track?

So just to fill the gap between the 1549 and 1803 departures would not be cheap, and that's assuming a 1 car unit. 

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: