18th Apr (1966)
Melksham Station closed (link)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 05:32:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[59] IETs at Melksham
[53] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[49] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[46] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[34] Signage - not making it easy ...
[20] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19
  Print  
Author Topic: Train Operating Companies v Trade Unions dispute - ongoing discussion  (Read 81334 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: January 18, 2017, 11:36:14 »

"Southern to run full train service from Tuesday as union suspends strike action"

My source is the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) news website, breaking news. I do not think that a link works to the "breaking news" since if subsequently clicked it goes to the THEN breaking news.

No doubt on other media.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 18, 2017, 11:40:10 »

This should be the correct story, updated 15 minutes prior to me posting the link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-38663331
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 19, 2017, 10:57:47 »

On the issue of DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)), specifically drivers opening and closing doors, in some countries the driver's cab has mirrors. Like so:

But AFAIK (as far as I know) they're used to enable the driver to see the signals given by the guard standing on the platform, using coloured "table-tennis bats". (The photo's from an article about how passengers find it difficult to understand differences between various TOCs (Train Operating Company) and agencies etc, just to show some difficulties are by no means restricted to Britain's rails)

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 19, 2017, 13:20:30 »

I think some UK (United Kingdom) freight locos have wing mirrors too.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 19, 2017, 15:42:40 »

I can see it now: "Mirror, signal, manoeuvre ..."  Smiley
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 21, 2017, 08:49:29 »

This could be huge, I foresee many more claims of a similar nature.
I suspect that TOCs (Train Operating Company) may stop taking credit cards to avoid such refunds in future. Meanwhile if anyone is about to buy a season ticket it would seem sensible to use a credit card.

Discussion of this issue on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) this morning, pointed out that you can make a claim if you used a debit card too as there are similar liabilities under "chargeback" - maybe TOCs will only accept cash in future?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 21, 2017, 11:24:18 »

Debit card chargeback isn't enshrined in law though. So you are at the whim of your and the merchant's bank.

A money claim via the courts for breach of contract may be a better avenue to explore for those who've purchased season tickets with debit card, cheque or cash.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 21, 2017, 13:05:22 »

I can see it now: "Mirror, signal, manoeuvre ..."  Smiley

That's pretty much how the DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) operates on the Thames Valley routes ........................
  • Driver checks the mirror on the platform (closes the doors)
    Driver checks the aspect of the signal ahead
    Driver releases the breaks, opens the power handle and the train manoeuvers
Grin 

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 22, 2017, 06:31:03 »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4105320/Train-passenger-dragged-60-feet-platform-driver-set-hand-caught-door.html
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #219 on: January 22, 2017, 09:27:55 »

Seems to be saying that the magistrate refused the case? The crown prosecution also wanted a Crown Court trial...?
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 22, 2017, 17:58:03 »

Seems to be saying that the magistrate refused the case? The crown prosecution also wanted a Crown Court trial...?
That is the case. Obviously considered that the powers of punishment in a magistrates court (max. 6 months imprisonment) were insufficient in this case should he be found guilty.

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 22, 2017, 19:16:41 »

That is the case. Obviously considered that the powers of punishment in a magistrates court (max. 6 months imprisonment) were insufficient in this case should he be found guilty.

Magistrates Courts cannot "rule on a point of Law" there is I suspect some Case Law required, its not open and shut (no pun intended), was it the negligence of the Drive? indeed was it gross negligence? was the negligence on the part of the employer ie not providing sufficient training or tools etc to do the job or on the part of the infrastructure provider; indeed was the injured party partially or whole to blame.

This may even creeps its way up to the Supreme Court

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 02, 2017, 16:11:48 »

The TUC have announced agreement between ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) and GTR Southern, which should lead to an end of ALSEF's strikes.

Following two weeks of intensive talks, the parties have now reached an agreement about the long-running dispute between ASLEF and GTR Southern. This resolves the current dispute, subject to securing the support of ASLEF members, and no further industrial action is planned.

The negotiations have been jointly chaired by Frances O’Grady, the TUC General Secretary, and Andy Meadows, HR (Human Resources) Director of Abellio UK (United Kingdom).

Frances and Andy said:

“The negotiators from both sides have worked hard and co-operatively to achieve this breakthrough. We have particularly appreciated the positive leadership shown by Nick Brown and Mick Whelan. This long-running dispute has clearly been extraordinarily difficult for both staff and passengers, and we are glad that the parties have reached agreement on a way forward.”
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 02, 2017, 16:52:29 »

While we are waiting for the details of this agreement, here's something that occurred to me a little while ago but I never got round to posting.

This issue need not be about safety at all. Drivers are instructed (or required) to close the doors, which removes any reason for people to run uo to the train late, then check for "doors closed". After that they are to check via their TV pictures (or looking directly) that no-one is so close to the train that they might have trapped their hand or clothing. If they can't see that is so, they do not start the train.

Looked at that way, any difficulty with the pictures or with passengers' behaviour on the platform is does not affect operational safety (though it may have other public safety ramifications), but delays the train. Providing extra staff on the train or platform, or other forms of backup, is then down to the TOCs (Train Operating Company) and is in their interest to maintain timekeeping. provided drivers are confident they are not going to have this responsibility for delays dumped back on their shoulders, that looks like a possible solution.

I wonder ...
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 02, 2017, 17:01:23 »

This is ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about)'s initial brief news release:
Agreement reached between ASLEF and GTR
02 February 2017

Commenting on the agreement ASLEF General Secretary Mick Whelan said ‘I welcome this agreement which is a significant step forward in addressing the safety concerns of ASLEF members on Southern Rail.’

Mick added ‘ASLEF has never been against changes to working methods. Rather we believe any changes should be negotiated through agreed procedures. I am confident this this deal can provide a safer and appropriately staffed railway for passengers on Southern Rail and I will be recommending it to our members.’

Notes to Editors
ASLEF’s around 930 members on Southern Rail will vote in a referendum on whether or not to accept the deal. Ballot papers will be dispatched on February 3rd and must be returned by 10.00am on 16th February.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 23:15:07 by stuving » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19
  Print  

Jump to: