Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 09:09:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[109] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[72] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[67] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[66] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[59] Return of the BRUTE?
[41] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Speed limits on the Westbury avoider  (Read 30529 times)
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2016, 14:06:38 »

For any users wanting to look into the legal aspects the recommended book (900 odd pages) is:
http://www.ramblers.org.uk/advice/rights-of-way-law-in-england-and-wales/the-blue-book.aspx
possibly available from local library. It is kept up to date by an on-line suuplement:
http://www.ramblers.org.uk/advice/rights-of-way-law-in-england-and-wales/the-blue-book/the-blue-book-extra.aspx
Possibly relevant in this case, standard rights of way procedures are varied by various railway law, Railway Clauses Consolidation Act 1845 onwards.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2016, 17:36:50 »

That should keep grahame quiet for a few minutes ...  Tongue Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2016, 21:37:40 »

That should keep grahame quiet for a few minutes ...  Tongue Wink Cheesy Grin

Hmm

Hmm

Hmm

Hmm

Hmm

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2016, 10:44:49 »

I've never known 'slag' to be linked to coal. It's the waste material from the separation or smelting of metal from ore.

Correct. The proper term for useless waste mined with the desired material is "spoil", both for coal and ore. Although during my time as a tin miner (South Crofty, 1973-74, or was is 1793-94?) it was given a less polite sobriquet by grizzled Cornishmen. ("Spent all mornin' shovellin' s*** wi' a banjo, me 'ansum!")

Now, please!
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2016, 11:54:08 »

I've never known 'slag' to be linked to coal. It's the waste material from the separation or smelting of metal from ore.

Correct. The proper term for useless waste mined with the desired material is "spoil", both for coal and ore. Although during my time as a tin miner (South Crofty, 1973-74, or was is 1793-94?) it was given a less polite sobriquet by grizzled Cornishmen. ("Spent all mornin' shovellin' s*** wi' a banjo, me 'ansum!")
Ah but up north we had slag heaps by our old coal mines - must be a regional thing. One near Standish, just to the west of the M6 was continuously burning until they finally took it away - sometime in the late eighties.  We missed it when it had gone!

Twas in mining myself but not in this country.  There they were just spoil heaps or waste dumps - not nearly as colourful.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2016, 13:05:57 »

Ah but up north we had slag heaps by our old coal mines - must be a regional thing. One near Standish, just to the west of the M6 was continuously burning until they finally took it away - sometime in the late eighties.  We missed it when it had gone!

Twas in mining myself but not in this country.  There they were just spoil heaps or waste dumps - not nearly as colourful.

I am also from up north, and yes, we called the slag heaps, albeit incorrectly.

Now, please!
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2016, 14:44:25 »

Yes. The name Slag Lane derives from Westbury Iron Works which were situated nearby.

was it the lane down which slag was carried or was it a lane which was paved with slag?
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2016, 13:49:54 »

Wasn't it called clinker when it was used for paving?

Anyway, about the speed limit at the footpath level crossing: the footpath must be as old as the railway so if the speed limit is, as "temporary" implies, recently imposed, something must have changed. It's unlikely to be sight lines so the most likely thing that I can think of would be increased foot traffic from the recent housing development south of Oldfield Lane – or a change in attitude. Unless it's a response to a recent incident, which is really another aspect of change of attitude (to safety). So what could be done to make the crossing safer? Barriers, lights and alarms, like a road crossing? Or do NR» (Network Rail - home page) feel that would be setting a precedent against their policy of no new LCs (Level Crossing)? Could the developer of the new housing be persuaded to build a footbridge as condition for planning permission?

If the problem is actually lorries on the access road, I agree with the white line suggestion. At one lorry every 8-10 minutes, two lorries in opposite directions are unlikely to meet, so effectively a pedestrian area and a vehicle area.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2016, 15:04:26 »

... the most likely thing that I can think of would be increased foot traffic from the recent housing development south of Oldfield Lane – or a change in attitude.  ....

I didn't know it before that housing development, but logic suggests that prior to the construction of housing on and just off Oldfield Road this path would have had limited use, providing a meandering official route from the earlier built up part of Westbury towards Dilton Marsh - initially via fields but from the opening of the cutoff line via a level for crossing.   Also (at that time) probably already providing a further access into the station - but again really not used very much as the lack of housing at Oldfield Road meant that there were few residents in that area to make use of it.

I'm trying to figure out how old the houses are ... picture attachment of one I found online in one of the closes just off Oldfield Road.   The agent's details state:

Westbury is a small medieval town that lies not far from its famous White Horse hill-carving at the western extremity of Salisbury Plain. Westbury offers a range of shopping and leisure facilities including a library, sports centre, schools, churches, doctors, dentist surgeries, post office and the oldest swimming pool in the country. The main railway line has fantastic links to Bath, Bristol and London. Travelling by car to Salisbury, Bristol and Swindon takes approximately one hour making it very desirable for commuters.

Highly unusual for estate agent'e details in a "remote and rural county" such as Wiltshire to talk about rail line before road ones, which gives you the flavour of just how good these properties are for commuters. And as well as Bath, Bristol and London you can easily commute from there to Salisbury, Southampton, Swindon and Reading.

Unless it's a response to a recent incident, which is really another aspect of change of attitude (to safety). So what could be done to make the crossing safer? Barriers, lights and alarms, like a road crossing? Or do NR» (Network Rail - home page) feel that would be setting a precedent against their policy of no new LCs (Level Crossing)? Could the developer of the new housing be persuaded to build a footbridge as condition for planning permission?

I fear that a footbridge would need long ramps for disabled access ... and there's already an alert and light system installed but it's covered up / out of use.  Not sure what happened there.  In the media term, the development has a road going through it which is planned to include a new bridge not very far along to the west to provide a second access to the housing, and if that's not too far along it would be a sensible permanent compromise.

If the problem is actually lorries on the access road, I agree with the white line suggestion. At one lorry every 8-10 minutes, two lorries in opposite directions are unlikely to meet, so effectively a pedestrian area and a vehicle area.

If the problem is actually lorries, then (in my view) there's a far bigger problem directly outside the station entrance.  Passengers arriving off trains spill out on a fairly narrow pavement.  In front of them is the road, with (directly across) end-on bays for passenger drop off and pick up.  No formal crossing.  As well as the lorries, all cars parking for longer term at the station pass along this road, and people to / from their parked cars also pass along it, no formal footpath though of late traffic cones and tape have added a sort of footway.  Waiting taxis park up one side of the road and those buses which call at the station pass through this area twice - once to get to where they can turn at the top of the car park and once as they pass back to get to the bus stop.

In contrast, the access road's just like a minor road anywhere in the countryside where the divers of vehicles should take care that there met be pedestrians around.  There aren't the plethora of hazards there which exist at the station entrance, and it should be within the ability of the drivers of vehicles to allow for the hazard on the access road.

I believe that preventing people walking along the access road is intended to reduce traffic over the crossing, which cannot be closed without a long procedure.  If I'm correct and this was explained to the public, the public wouldn't feel they were being sold porkies. And if it was accompanied by forward thinking to provide a permanent good solution for all parties, the public would feel very much more involved and be much more inclined to take a more positive attitude. With the current lane closure seen as vindictive by some people I've spoken to, and reponses to complaints as being patronising, the public are hardly on board with the closure and trust of Network Rail is lacking.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2016, 15:11:22 »

I thought I had explained about the crossing protection earlier in the thread here http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=17549.msg202872#msg202872
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2016, 15:22:31 »

I thought I had explained about the crossing protection earlier in the thread here http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=17549.msg202872#msg202872

Correct - you did - thank you.

I was out of place to write ...
Not sure what happened there.
... and can only claim a personal lapse in not reminding myself of the earlier answer as I followed up further. Sorry about that - should have added a link back.   Should also have attached the picture I promised in that earlier thread to give you an idea of the sort of housing served.  I'm not being too bright a bunny today.

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2017, 17:24:30 »

As I whizzed past at 100mph on a Down train earlier today (25/04/2017) I noticed some work taking place on the Westbury Avoider footpath crossing.  I'm heading that way again at the end of next week so I will try to see what was going on.  The 50mph speed restriction on the Up line is still in place.

Edit: Noted its still shown as for crossing safety; http://www.railperformancedata.org.uk/index/siteforum-list-action/post.3659/title.tsrs-22-28th-april
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 19:45:05 by SandTEngineer » Logged
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2017, 18:27:41 »

Well I went through today, 05/05/2017 (in both directions).  The 50mph speed restriction on the Up Westbury Avoiding Line has been removed at last (hurah).  It looks like (bit difficult to tell at 100mph) that the footpath crossing warning equipment has been commissioned.  Wonder if this has been made the test site to get product approval back again?  If not then it could have been fitted with one of the new 'train horn recording' playback systems.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 08:54:05 by SandTEngineer » Logged
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2017, 20:46:46 »

Went through once again today (06/05/2017) at 100mph in both directions but it certainly looks as though the crossing protection system (EBIGate 200: http://www.weidmuller.co.uk/uk/industries/transportation/uk-rail/applications---case-studies/a-safe-feeling-in-the-countryside) originally installed but then taken out of use due to the product approval issues, has been reactivated.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 17:04:00 by SandTEngineer » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2017, 16:49:53 »

The story continues ... the developer's persuaded the county council to allow him 300 houses not 250 so that there's enough to make a £1 million contribution to a bridge.  And that removes the loop road that would allow buses to access the station easily.   A further million's needed from a third source for the bridge (there's already a million from previous housing in the pot) and it's suggested that could come from yet more housing to the south of the avoider line.

Information has been passed to the Town Council to the effect that the foot crossing will be closed by Network Rail at some point in the not too distant future, even if the bridge hasn't yet been built.   My source, who's on the town council, tells me that the council isn't exactly thrilled with the loss of bus access and the likely closure of the crossing without alternative available to take over.  Complains about Network Rail not informing them, and about a somewhat cavalier attitude over the whole business from Network Rail.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: