06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
07:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
17:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 08:06:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[165] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[67] Signage - not making it easy ...
[56] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[14] IETs at Melksham
[12] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[11] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Football match - busy trains?: October 25, 2016
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice for late evening passengers at Paddington 25 October 2016  (Read 8803 times)
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2016, 19:15:59 »

Just an advance warning for passengers using Paddington in the late hours of Tuesday 25th

The Gunners will be facing the Royals with over 5,000 of us heading to Woolwich North London with many travelling by train.

I would fully expect all services from the 22:15 to Bristol onwards to be much busier than normal.

Of course, in the highly unlikely event that Reading hold out and the game goes to extra time, then I can see the 23:30 to Bristol service (which can be busy at the best of times) becoming very cosy indeed.  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 19:51:37 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 20:00:43 »

With my thanks for your posting that item, Adelante_CCT, I've taken the opportunity to add it to the Coffee Shop forum's calendar.  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 10:00:33 »

May be worth letting GWR (Great Western Railway) know - they may even lay on an extra service and/or additional capacity?  Cheesy
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 10:28:05 »

Tuesday's in October aren't the busiest evenings of the week, so I doubt much extra provision will be needed.  Perhaps strengthening the 22:48 to Oxford from a 3-car to a 6-car might be a wise move, but the 23:18 to Oxford is already a 6-car and has loads of spare space midweek and you have the 22:15, 22:45 and 23:30 full length HSTs (High Speed Train) which also have a fair amount of spare seats on a typical Tuesday.  Later evening trains are much better capacity wise then they were a few years ago.

That doesn't mean there won't be some standees of course, and worst case scenario is the extra time one leading to everyone squeezing onto the 23:18 or 23:30!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 16:02:16 »

Not able to go to this one (heading to foreign lands on Tues evening) but unbelievable game last time this fixture happened in the League Cup....just to remind everyone ;-)

I was there at the Madstad as Reading went 3-0 up after about 20 mins, with the eventual result 7-5 to The Gunners, although IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) I think it was 5-5 as 90 minutes approached!
rogerpatenall

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 19:18:17 »

The Gunners will be facing the Royals with over 5,000 of us heading to Woolwich North London with many travelling by train.

Don't waste time looking for 'Woolwich North London' - it isn't there and even less head for North Woolwich. Just stick with Arsenal (Piccadilly Line) or Highbury & Islington or Finsbury Park.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 19:26:22 »

Yes, I was only messing around, I had considered putting Gillespie Road instead
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 22:08:46 »

May be worth letting GWR (Great Western Railway) know - they may even lay on an extra service and/or additional capacity?  Cheesy

The 22:48 has indeed been strengthened from 3 to 5 coaches and with the match not going to extra time hopefully that should be enough capacity.  Looks like the services are all going to run ok despite ongoing service recovery from the earlier fatality.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 22:46:31 »

On the 22:45, full and fully standing as well. A good dozen from my carriage have got off and gone to the pub instead.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 02:14:11 »

Yep, I saw all the departures leave Paddington from the 22:18 to the 22:48.  The 22:18 (4-car) was about 50% full, the 22:21 (3-car) left 12 minutes late, and was full to near standing capacity, as was the 22:27 stopper (3-car) which was also 12 minutes late as both trains were formed off a delayed arrival from Oxford.  The 22:45 HST (High Speed Train) was (as reported) very snug with about 100 standees - though not to 19:03 levels  Wink and finally the strengthened 22:48 (5-car) was pretty full with the odd seat at the front and a couple of dozen standees at the back.

Don't know about the later ones, but the 23:18 was a 6-car as booked and the 23:30 a HST, so I would imagine they coped ok as well. 

So, mostly full trains, but not by any means a disaster.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 09:42:33 »

So, mostly full trains, but not by any means a disaster.

........certainly not for Arsenal anyway!  Grin (.....sorry!)
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 18:04:15 »

For some reason the 22:45 had a first class coach towards the front, L instead of B (I think) and they did announce standing in first class was permissible until Reading. From what I could see it left Reading at about 20% capacity, ie roughly a full seated train load got off at Reading. The 22:48 arrived Reading about 3/4 full, with a good load getting off.

Off topic, and something that may have been mentioned before? GWR (Great Western Railway) are currently doing kids for a quid, and as I was in a hurry with all the problems getting into London I was trying to purchase my tickets from a TVM (Ticket Vending Machine), but because of the offer it wasn't letting me use a F&F railcards forcing me to spend an extra £4 or so than it should have been, so much for a special offer.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 18:39:13 »

For some reason the 22:45 had a first class coach towards the front, L instead of B (I think)

Yep, that would be the same set that formed the 08:28 Swindon to Paddington the same morning.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: